New Business Model

BilliJo Aldrin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 289 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It seems like the source of cheep 2x protected 16 sqm parcels (under $100 L) has dried up. Either everyone that wanted to sell one has sold it, orrrr, people are wising up and realizing they can ask $500 L instead of $5L, and it will still sell fast.

Either way, that's bad for me.

So, I'm trying something new, purchasing interior parcels (up to 80 sqm) that are listed for $50 L or less.

With my spare tier I can buy several dozen, tack $200 L to the price, and wait.

Tier is free, and I'm in no rush. Sooner or later someone on the sim that wants to complete that nursery for their new baby, or maybe add a pool, will see that the price for a few extra prims is quite reasonable, and click "buy".

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Micro parcels yesterday, micro parcels today, and micro parcels tomorrow. 😁

2 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

It seems like the source of cheep 2x protected 16 sqm parcels (under $100 L) has dried up. Either everyone that wanted to sell one has sold it, orrrr, people are wising up and realizing they can ask $500 L instead of $5L, and it will still sell fast.

this is what happened last time

people are not wising up. The opposite actually. They jumping into the pump n' dump 16m market after it has peaked. Oh! well

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, elleevelyn said:

this is what happened last time

people are not wising up. The opposite actually. They jumping into the pump n' dump 16m market after it has peaked. Oh! well

raising my price range in search, I see there are a lot of 16 sq m 2x protected parcels listed for $499L. Perhaps they were just listed, perhaps they have been there a while and just not moving.

If they are still there in 48 hours, it will show if the market peaked or not.

Of course, if they drop the price to under $50L, I’ll scoop them all up 😂

I’ll just list one at a time, and put ads on the rest.

Scarcity keeps the price up, not listing a dozen at once.

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added stuff

3 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

what can I make on a 512? buy it for 250 and sell for 500? I can make that on tiny microparcels and carry way more inventory.

I imagine you could figure out a way to cut something like this auction up and make $

secondlife://Smelton%20Hollow/240/72/

it might involve boats:)

3 hours ago, animats said:

I've seen a stable where each paddock was a separate parcel. And parking spaces with parking meters! Like rent boxes, but with time limits in hours. But usually, tiny parcels are for some ad scheme.

you never saw my 7 story tower on a 16?

You are all welcome to come visit, rezz a toobie, or go for a swim, but watch out for the sea creature under the ladder 😂

toobierezz07.png

toobierezz06.png

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
correction, added a picture
  • Like 1

I don't think there's any problem dividing land into parcels as small as you like as long as they aren't set for sale, so making separate rental parcels on Mainland or "sale" parcels on Estates surely won't arouse interest. It's a good question how large the pieces must be if you dice up a Mainland 4096, say, and put the bits up for sale. Can't imagine 512s would be a problem, but I'd guess 128s or less would be, based on the minimum size for listing in Places search, which seems pretty clearly microparcel landsplitting range. But what about 144m²? or 256m²?

Of course in reality the "service" here is extortion, plain and simple. Sure, in the rarest of edge cases, somebody in the region might buy a microparcel for prims, but usually they're buying it to prevent somebody from standing a widely visible eyesore on it with practically zero tier investment in the region. (And if "derender" were supposed to be relevant, it would need to be in the Linden viewer. It's not.)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Qie Niangao said:

I don't think there's any problem dividing land into parcels as small as you like as long as they aren't set for sale, so making separate rental parcels on Mainland or "sale" parcels on Estates surely won't arouse interest. It's a good question how large the pieces must be if you dice up a Mainland 4096, say, and put the bits up for sale. Can't imagine 512s would be a problem, but I'd guess 128s or less would be, based on the minimum size for listing in Places search, which seems pretty clearly microparcel landsplitting range. But what about 144m²? or 256m²?

Of course in reality the "service" here is extortion, plain and simple. Sure, in the rarest of edge cases, somebody in the region might buy a microparcel for prims, but usually they're buying it to prevent somebody from standing a widely visible eyesore on it with practically zero tier investment in the region. (And if "derender" were supposed to be relevant, it would need to be in the Linden viewer. It's not.)

They can buy my micro parcel for whatever reason they choose. I don't ask what they plan to use it for.

But, i'm not land cutting, I'm buying what ever is up for offer, then relisting it at a higher price.

I don't know how many times i've bought an interior 16 for $5 L, then resold it for $105 L.

But hey, its all free money, because my excess tier is free to use for whatever I choose

If the Lindens are serious about getting rid of micro parcels, have one of them log in on firestorm and scan the sales listings every day. They would soon scoop up all the micro parcels, and could combine them with a larger parcels on the same sim.

But LL won't, because they have zero problems with flipping micro parcels.

Its only other residents that have a problem, and will whine and whine, trying to get LL to do something about a problem that doesn't exist.

You all do you, and I'll do me.

😁

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
spelling

The Lab had no problems with straight-up adfarming for years, until they did. Now, though, with all attention on Belli, the Lab's indifference to Mainland's ongoing decline is hardly limited to microparcels.

Other Mainlanders might care, though. Then they whine. And let's face it, the whining is the whole point. L$100 profit on a flip may be 20-fold margin but it's still 40¢. There's no limit on what one might do with one's "excess tier", spending it on microflips is one way to use up that opportunity. As a business, the returns are paltry in terms of time spent, but it's fantastically effective at generating those precious whines.

It's like "liberal tears" LARPing on red pill 𝕏. Or the OP's "micro parcels tomorrow" paraphrasing George Wallace for the lulz.

1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

The Lab had no problems with straight-up adfarming for years, until they did. Now, though, with all attention on Belli, the Lab's indifference to Mainland's ongoing decline is hardly limited to microparcels.

Other Mainlanders might care, though. Then they whine. And let's face it, the whining is the whole point. L$100 profit on a flip may be 20-fold margin but it's still 40¢. There's no limit on what one might do with one's "excess tier", spending it on microflips is one way to use up that opportunity. As a business, the returns are paltry in terms of time spent, but it's fantastically effective at generating those precious whines.

It's like "liberal tears" LARPing on red pill 𝕏. Or the OP's "micro parcels tomorrow" paraphrasing George Wallace for the lulz.

I have all the homes in Second Life I want or need (5 or 6 at last count) and yet I still have 2000 sqm free to play with.

I get $300 L weekly as my premium stipend. If I can double that to $600 L a week flipping parcels why not? It’s free tier, and its free money.

I don’t spend much either, so I  usually have a $L balance over 5k.

Its not my problem if people whine about what I do.

In fact from reading these forums, complaining about how others choose to live their Second Life is the number one pastime in here.

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added stuff, took out RL references
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Its not my problem if people whine about what I do.

Generating whines isn't a problem, it's the whole point; others' inconvenience is the business.

And that's fine as long as Mainland is just a game, not part of a framework for immersion like other Land products.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Generating whines isn't a problem, it's the whole point; others' inconvenience is the business.

And that's fine as long as Mainland is just a game, not part of a framework for immersion like other Land products.

I am not inconveniencing anyone, I’m providing a service. If no one wants to buy my parcels, i can cut the price or even abandon them if necessary.

But as usual, your response comes down to, “you don’t play right, I don’t like it, you need to stop”

1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

How one runs a business in SL is nobody else's business until it breaks a rule or inconviences others who pay to play in SL. If land flipping practices drive paying users away from owning mainland, then it's Linden Lab's business too. 

Let's say someone owns and pays tier on a 1/8 of a region on Mainland with a view of water. A land-flipper might buy a micro parcel, put up a tower that blocks their view, then put that parcel up for sale at 10x what they paid for it. The person with the 1/8 parcel might not want to cut a piece off the back of their current parcel so they can buy the other micro parcel. They might decide instead to give up on mainland and just get a Linden Home instead. They might stop paying for extra tier.

Someone else probably won't want to buy their parcel with a tower obstructing it's view, so they abandon their land. Now it's abandoned mainland and LL is making less money from the person who used to pay for it. If this kind of situation continues, they might decide it's in their interest to only let LL sell microparcels to people who already own larger parcels in that region. The micro parcel flipping business would then be a thing of the past, just as SL banks are now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

Which makes me wonder what the point of this whole thread would be aside from stirring the pot.  Not that I'm surprised in the least.  

I used to think it was a form of advertising, but now I think the OP is bored and either enjoys trolling the forum or feels a need to publically justify the time they spend in SL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

How one runs a business in SL is nobody else's business until it breaks a rule or inconviences others who pay to play in SL. If land flipping practices drive paying users away from owning mainland, then it's Linden Lab's business too. 

Let's say someone owns and pays tier on a 1/8 of a region on Mainland with a view of water. A land-flipper might buy a micro parcel, put up a tower that blocks their view, then put that parcel up for sale at 10x what they paid for it. The person with the 1/8 parcel might not want to cut a piece off the back of their current parcel so they can buy the other micro parcel. They might decide instead to give up on mainland and just get a Linden Home instead. They might stop paying for extra tier.

Someone else probably won't want to buy their parcel with a tower obstructing it's view, so they abandon their land. Now it's abandoned mainland and LL is making less money from the person who used to pay for it. If this kind of situation continues, they might decide it's in their interest to only let LL sell microparcels to people who already own larger parcels in that region. The micro parcel flipping business would then be a thing of the past, just as SL banks are now.

putting an eyesore on a parcel and then trying to charge an exorbitant price to get rid of the eyesore is already illegal, its called ad farming. All the person needs to do is submit an AR and LL will take care of it.

I never put anything except a small boulder on parcels I’m flipping. No ones view is affected by my land for sale.

Of course, the person that buys the land from me might be an ad farmer.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I used to think it was a form of advertising, but now I think the OP is bored and either enjoys trolling the forum or feels a need to publically justify the time they spend in SL.

If anyone thinks my posts are trolling, they can just ignore them, or even better block me entirely.

The forum is generally agreed that micro parcels are evil, and that anyone that deals in them are evil.

But au contraire, buying and selling micro parcels is no different than any other form of land flipping.

Oh wait, I forgot, all land flippers are evil.

Lets hope LL takes up my idea of Mainland 2.0 , and whoever signs on will never need to deal with land flippers ever again.

So, here is how it goes, 1/8 sim owner with a pretty view wont cut 80 sqm from the back of their parcel to buy the micro parcel for sale for $50L and preserve their view.

I come along and buy it, and relist it for $250L, but the land owner still refuses to buy it.

Then, an ad farmer buys it, sets the price at $1250L and puts up a giant rotating full bright for sale sign.

At this point, the land owner starts screaming about evil land flippers and why doesn’t LL do something to stop them, and abandons the parcel, soured on mainland forever.

Well, the land owner could have done something when it would cost them $50L, but they feel self entitled, they paid for the view when they bought their property, and shouldn’t have to do anything to preserve and protect “their” view.

Live and learn, next time grab that micro parcel when its super cheep. 

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
correct pronouns r ur friend

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 289 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.