How Far Into Realism Do WE Truly Want To GO?

Bagnu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 128 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

16 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

OH!  And NOW you are going to insist we have SKIN!?! THAT just totally encourages racism! How dare you!?!?!

😛

((You do know that no matter what you say it's the wrong thing... But while I can't say it is a gracious offer... it is :)  ))

No, that encourages not being a cloud - it's one of the required components.

On 12/16/2023 at 6:25 PM, Bagnu said:

As it stands, we have a cartoony look in SL. Would we ACTUALLY be comfortable if our SL were fully RL realistic, as if we were watching a movie? I don't know if I would be. Or would we like it more? Any comments on this?

I like SL's generally more painterly and even somewhat cartoony look (I don't like Pixar and fortunately it's not Pixar, just slightly painterly/drawn/ which for some people means "cartoon".

Photoreal really looks ugly in SL.

• Like 1

I only play the occasional video game, and being a hard sci-fi nut, I've been excited about Starfield coming out for a couple of years. Imagine my dismay...honestly more like outright disgust, on playing the game and looking at characters that looked like a throw back to 2006 SL. I was appalled. Some games are obviously better, but the best of SL holds it's own for the most part.

In many respects, within the limitations of the rendering engine, SL looks amazing, thanks wholly to content creators and sim builders who are committed to squeezing the best possible visuals out of what is possible. Obviously that's a pretty select few, and 98% of SL looks like trash because it's FILLED with trash.

Go look at SL destination groups on Flickr and you'll see some extraordinary creations that wring what they can out of the existing technology. Yeah I dream of Unreal Engine but that ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

I'm generally happy with the realism in SL already and don't really want it to get much closer to photo-realism for example.

Yes, I would prefer items with less baked textures and more use of materials and lighting but those are features available to us today.  Overall, I would prefer attention is turned more to things that tune/boost performance rather than degrade it so that more people can use SL well for activities that are currently subpar due to that.

Edited by Gabriele Graves

The pursuit to realism is useful in pushing graphics techniques to be more advanced and flexible.

It's like the speedboat challenges for 3D Printers where you try to make the fastest benchy print while looking like benchy.

Both the push to realism and the fastest Benchy allows us to figure out improved, novel methods in pursuing our goals. In the case of 3D Printing, the knowledge gained from Speedboating has greatly improved print quality, slicer methods, and overall print times. As with the push to realism, the novel and improved methods of graphics rendering we've achieved allow our more stylized worlds to be more diverse, expressive, and vibrant. Those newfound abilities to push more triangles and effects can go towards even smoother stylized characters rather than gritty realism.

I suppose this is a long-winded way to say realism and stylized can coexist.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 128 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.