50% rule on protected land?

CossetteAlarie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 136 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My neighbor had a huge creature swinging it's tail through my house across the street, so I asked them to move it a bit. I noticed their building hangs out onto a protected road on one side and abandoned land on the other and they have a huge ramp in the middle of the protected (see the wee red line on the right? That's their parcel boundary.) Anyway the person said it was only 38% so it's ok. I haven't heard of that before, is it true? I don't need to report them or anything, it's not causing me a problem. I was just curious.

40limit.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nope, not true. Encroaching is encroaching, now matter how much or little. 

Of course whether governance returns encroaching items often depends on just how much of an issue or nuisance  they are - in your above pic it looks like that ramp is really blocking that protected path quite a lot, but then that path might hardly ever be used by anyone.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, CossetteAlarie said:

Anyway the person said it was only 38% so it's ok. I haven't heard of that before, is it true?

Yeah... NO.

There is no 50% Rule. You can't rez things on land you don't have rezzing rights on, but you CAN slide the thing so the centre of the root prim is say, 1mm from the line on YOIUR side. That's  where they are getting this 50% nonsense from., but just because you can encroach on other people's land in NO way means its ok to do so.

This is especially true of LLDWP owned land like roads, navigable waterways, and of abandoned land owned by Gov. Linden.

Abuse report away, their stuff needs sending back.

3 hours ago, CossetteAlarie said:

Those neighbors look pretty sloppy about it, they encroached on everything around them.

Abuse report them, for every parcel they encroach on, ask your friends to do the same.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, CossetteAlarie said:

My neighbor had a huge creature swinging it's tail through my house across the street, so I asked them to move it a bit. I noticed their building hangs out onto a protected road on one side and abandoned land on the other and they have a huge ramp in the middle of the protected (see the wee red line on the right? That's their parcel boundary.) Anyway the person said it was only 38% so it's ok. I haven't heard of that before, is it true? I don't need to report them or anything, it's not causing me a problem. I was just curious.

40limit.png

OMFG thats the place i posted about in the thread i created but deleted the post and changed the thread title to cancelled.

Its an absolute disgrace, and a blight on the whole area. 

If this thread is still up when i get home, I’ll put up the picture i posted and took down.

If nothing else, the ramp is on LL protected land.

REPORT REPORT REPORT

• Like 4

That looks like a mess. If your build is encroaching, an inconvenience to others, and ugly - please don't. A good rule of thumb is that if you're going to encroach, make it look good. If you go beyond landscaping and driveway connections to Linden roads, make it look really good. Mainland is a collaborative art project.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

oh yeah i bought that 3k parcel. I put in a free Snowmobile rezzer if people want to check out the area, it's pretty cool area. The bigger annoyance to me is the 4sqm ad box in the middle, where the little red square is. nothing is there now tg but any day somebody could spout out some skyscraper ad thing. I made my building super tall so i wouldn't have to see that stuff much over there lol. But i think they have fun over there.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, CossetteAlarie said:

oh yeah i bought that 3k parcel. I put in a free Snowmobile rezzer if people want to check out the area, it's pretty cool area. The bigger annoyance to me is the 4sqm ad box in the middle, where the little red square is. nothing is there now tg but any day somebody could spout out some skyscraper ad thing. I made my building super tall so i wouldn't have to see that stuff much over there lol. But i think they have fun over there.

I saw that when I was there, it could be a problem.  I'm sure that monstrocity won't be there forever.

Hope you enjoy it there.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Diablo Lioncourt said:

Ugly_002.jpg

Hideous low altitude sky platform...

How did I know there would be some overentitled aviator, wanting an awful sh*te-build anti gravity airfield of their very own.

/me rolls her eyes.

And ironically, their aircraft's supposed to be VTOL capable, and shouldn't NEED that sodding platform.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Hideous low altitude sky platform...

How did I know there would be some overentitled aviator, wanting an awful sh*te-build anti gravity airfield of their very own.

/me rolls her eyes.

And ironically, their aircraft's supposed to be VTOL capable, and shouldn't NEED that sodding platform.

I have an anti grav jet i got when i was a noob. It impossible to steer, you just point it in the direction you want to go and hold on. Top speed is about 1 sim per second, so of course you crash right away, but it looks cool parked on my roof.

😂

• Haha 2

There's no such rule.

You right-click on any object that appears to encroach on your land (even if it is not taking up land impact points) and you send it back to their Lost & Found.

If you can right click and "return" then it was encroaching.

If you get a message like "the object cannot be removed from the simulator" then it was not encroaching, even if looming in the view.

It's nice to have the kind of relationship with neighbours that you don't return such a prim if not necessary, say in the sky, or that you first IM them and ask them to remove it, so that they don't face disruption of their build.

But as I have found time and again, due to time zone differences, due to the degree of disruption (a tree invading a cabin and making it unrentable) sometimes you just have to right click and flick it away. My God it's a virtual world, it's pixels, just put it out again, Big Guy, only move it away from my land a bit.

I get that you can block the view. But you don't get to block movement in and out of a house on my land.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

There's no such rule.

You right-click on any object that appears to encroach on your land (even if it is not taking up land impact points) and you send it back to their Lost & Found.

If you get a message like "the object cannot be removed from the simulator" then it was not encroaching, even if looming in the view.

It's nice to have the kind of relationship with neighbours that you don't return such a prim if not necessary, say in the sky, or that you first IM them and ask them to remove it, so that they don't face disruption of their build.

But as I have found time and again, due to time zone differences, due to the degree of disruption (a tree invading a cabin and making it unrentable) sometimes you just have to right click and flick it away. My God it's a virtual world, it's pixels, just put it out again, Big Guy, only move it away from my land a bit.

I get that you can block the view. But you don't get to block movement in and out of a house on my land.

The OP had already asked the person rezzing the offending object if they could move it a bit, thats when they offered the “up to 50% encroaching is ok” justification. Now the time for asking is over and is now the time for “right click return” or “file an AR”

Theres always something amusing about returning stuff without warning…. “wtf why did you return my stuff”

ummm because i can 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/12/2023 at 3:39 AM, Diablo Lioncourt said:

Now, for some sadistic reason, I can't resist the impulse to share this guy's build and how it impacts this neighborhood with you guys.

Ugly_001.jpg

Ugly_002.jpg

why is it up in the air? Doesnt the person own the ground beneath it?

Actually its a couple of flat prims, hardly the monstrocity it could be

2 hours ago, Clem Marques said:

Worst thing I've seen in a long time, impressive. An appropriate name for that parcel would be "trainwreck" 😅

Good luck to any neighbors... they'll need it!

*Blinks*. That *is* extraordinary, and I've seen a LOT in my time in SL the last 19 years!!!

I can't help wondering, too, about the land impact when I see something that looks like "a tortured prim". In fact this looks to me more and more not like an art installation or a thematic build, but a sandbox for griefer testing.

But hey, I can do WTF I want on my land, sacred SL motto.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Moles

I wonder if what they are thinking is that if they can move an object halfway out of their land before it automatically rubber bands back because the center is not on their land anymore that means it is okay and allowed... or if they have some idea they have "rights" to 50% of the roadway. Either way, there is no 50% rule; especially when it comes to objects that are blocking public use of a public roadway. 

All objects that encroach are there solely at the discretion, grace, and/or ignorance (i.e. unawareness) of the owner of the adjacent land. In the case of protected land, that is Linden Lab. That's what "protected" means

Think of it this way. Most everyone travels above the posted speed limit at some time at least a little bit. That doesn't make it legal or mean you cannot get a ticket. The more you do it or the faster you go the more likely you will. Encroaching a little is usually not a big deal for most people (or even the Lab), but if you abuse it and the owner of the neighboring land takes exception to it they have every right to return it whether it is 50% over the line or 1%.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

On 12/14/2023 at 10:52 AM, Abnor Mole said:

I wonder if what they are thinking is that if they can move an object halfway out of their land before it automatically rubber bands back because the center is not on their land anymore that means it is okay and allowed...

I meet a lot of people that assume that if the software / service allows them to do something and gives no warnings then it must be okay to do it with impunity and no other user can tell them otherwise.  I have been threatened by several that they would abuse report me for returning their objects that encroached upon my land.  I don't let such threats stop me.  If the encroaching object(s) bothers me in some significant way I will return it.  If I get severe negative feedback from that object's owner, then I return any additional encroaching objects of theirs that I can, even if those objects were not bothering be before their owner shot off their mouth.

Would be helpful if the viewer could warn people that something they are positioning is encroaching on a property line.  Then, maybe, a smaller number of people would be arrogantly ignorant.

• Like 5

• Moles
On 12/15/2023 at 2:09 PM, Ardy Lay said:

I meet a lot of people that assume that if the software / service allows them to do something and gives no warnings then it must be okay...

Yet when the same software / service also allows you to return it that is somehow not okay in their book. 🤔 🙄 😆

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• Moles
On 12/15/2023 at 2:09 PM, Ardy Lay said:

Would be helpful if the viewer could warn people that something they are positioning is encroaching on a property line.

In lieu of that, my recommendation is to do this:

1. Use Ctrl+Shift+Alt+P to show property lines. (If you are on water also use  Ctrl+Shift+Alt+7 to toggle off water)
  2. Create a box and stretch it very thin (essentially a plane)
  3. Use Snap to Grid to place it right on the property line.
  4. Move your objects so none of them poke through that plane and you are safe.
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Abnor Mole said:

In lieu of that, my recommendation is to do this:

1. Use Ctrl+Shift+Alt+P to show property lines. (If you are on water also use  Ctrl+Shift+Alt+7 to toggle off water)
  2. Create a box and stretch it very thin (essentially a plane)
  3. Use Snap to Grid to place it right on the property line.
  4. Move your objects so none of them poke through that plane and you are safe.

I have done this.  Of course, It also works for making stuff at altitude if you move your plane up high.  When this doesn't work is when the object being placed has a visible representation that is smaller than the bounding box.  That had me also enabling bounding box metadata display, and at that point the screen got so busy that I could not tell what was going on and just gave up.  It would have been much easier if the viewer or simulator could just inform me about the one thing I am working on.  This is Second Life, not manual technical drawing on paper where my only option is to make construction lines.

• 1 month later...

when i put things close to the line i look for green, if you can see green you're good. there's a yellow property line, and the green line is safe. i think maybe you can be right on the line and maybe cover it up but i go for green (to see it).

BTW i just noticed that ramp vanished. still some encroaching there (see the shadows and the red lines) but it's not so bad. putting the ramp in the middle of the road was kinda crazy  i think.

b3c04113e8f79d992ba3d7f2e3ec65fc.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/13/2023 at 4:05 PM, Prokofy Neva said:

There's no such rule.

I have two parcels where neighbors have trees (branches/leaves) coming in like 5 to 6 meters into the parcel. branches come through the building. There is no way to return those it seems? I wrote both of the "encroachers" and one wrote and said they don't do SL anymore and I can just return it, and no reply from the other. It mean literally you could have a 64 meter tree coming across 1 meter up from the ground and as long at the trunk isn't on somebody else's property the leaves branches are no problem.

• Sad 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 136 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.