Waterway on the entire grid

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 217 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

9 hours ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

Living life by not wanting others to have nice things is not a perspective I have sympathy for.

I believe that Linden Lab's land policy concerning protected-connected water expansion is fair to residents. I have no idea who you believe is "Living life by not wanting others to have nice things".

One of the specific "nice things" that Linden Lab has provided is low cost protected-connected access via Bellisseria Houseboats and Stilts with rezzable water, which can be had for less that a dollar US per week (annual Premium net stipend).

7 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

That bit there, the two region wide gap, 19 regions long between Satori and Belli, that's the bit that was refused by the LLDWP because of cost.

I don't know what's planned for there - I mean we don't really 'need' another sea with just open water regions (although wasn't there talk of some lower-cost type of server that would make those cheaper? Hm, it's too early in the morning). Personally I don't think open water regions are even fun to sail at anyway - like, yay I can go in a straight line for 3 kilometres so I can focus on peeping on bikini babes along the way? Meh.

If I were in charge of developing that bit of void there I'd either go with islands with waterways, a bit like we've got, well, almost everywhere around Nautilus - I quite like the solution someone built around the southern coast of Corsica for example, creating navigable passageways with island real estate (though those are developed by the Taurua Fiji estate):

576ae38a8430c07fb1943adc29ba0afa.png

But then I don't think that particular void 'needs' to be filled, either, you are able to navigate by boat all the way down the western coast of Satori and connect with the waterways of Belli (the protected waterways around the 'hump' of the west coast is a bit narrow, but 'navigable' doesn't necessarily have to accommodate for aircraft carriers .. Or people's aircraft-carrier sized compensation yachts!). There's only really one point where I think it's hazardously narrow, where one extra region to widen the gap would be helpful:

3851508379a602718a52426488ae2132.png

This little corner in Chuginadak is a rather tight turn. If the region crossing is being slow, you're likely to overshoot the space before you've regained controls. If there was a region to the north-east with a little more space you could make that crossing a lot easier.

There's a similar situation just south of there, but there you have a full region of water and a full edge of protected land, so rather than aiming for the corner you can loop down and align yourself at an east-south-east angle, do one crossing, then steer full east and go straight into the waterway. 

b9dbc70ea1c9da81d7663bf13ac36b10.png

Another spot where waterway development is going to be interesting is in the void around the new welcome hub. The north-eastern Belli waterway comes to a rather abrupt halt (although there is a dock with a railway station, and of course roads, so you could continue your vehicular journey - just not in a boat). 

fea2b9132504b3de7abcdad0baa75b9e.png

If a waterway connection is made between east and west there (which seems probable) you could sail (or row!) from Corsica to Jeogeot or Sansara!

• Like 1

On 11/1/2023 at 7:13 AM, Orwar said:

(Belli's railroad is starting to look quite neat, minus of course that the majority of the view is going to be an endless, repetitive suburbia). 

That's the part of the train-hopping experience where the hoboes all sleep. It's integral, just accept it is all anyone can do.

Also, watch out for the bulls.

23 minutes ago, Orwar said:

'navigable' doesn't necessarily have to accommodate for aircraft carriers

Speaking as a Satorian, I certainly don't want Aircraft Carriers of the Bellicosian Navy loitering within strike distance of our homes. We Satorians need to form a Miliitia, and invest in some decent ASBM's, to take out the carrier battle groups before they can launch their strike craft.

If we get MOBILE ASBM launchers, there might finally be an actual use for the roads.

Edited by Zalificent Corvinus
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

We Satorians need to form a Miliitia, and invest in some decent ASBM's, to take out the carrier battle groups before they can launch their strike craft.

This was the prize for the Grid Drive the other week, perhaps I should sail north and ravage the coast of Satori a little ..

.. Then again it'd feel terribly awkward going Viking under a French flag. 

Snapshot-162.png

Yeah, screw that - battle stations!

779d9658a38618983ba4ca35df0261a1.png

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

I don't see why we'd want to remove them though, even if they had piles of bots, what's the harm to others in leaving that spot there?

I believe the goal was to free-up region servers for other priorities identified in this thread. The Arapaima "safe hub" geography has never made much sense to me but in itself it's just one build region and two water Homesteads away from the main Zindra block so even doing away with it altogether wouldn't save all that much. There are carbon copies on Nelsonia, Ungren, and Vilania, plus the Gilda/Oritz infoHub. (There also was originally an infoHub in the Mosh "Port of Kama City" build but it went away years ago. I'm not sure it ever functioned as a "safe hub" though.)

The proliferation of these hub regions on Zindra seems a bit surprising. Is it really true that merely enabling Adult search is enough to land you at one of those hubs when relogging into a crashed region (not, as I'd thought, the maturity rating of the region you were trying to log into)? Maybe that's to act as a proxy for whatever the potentially Adult-engaged avatar might have been doing "behind closed doors" on Mature-rated regions, so they don't rez in flagrante amidst a proper M-rated infoHub tea party.

I guess they must handle crashes on all private Estate regions, too, so whatever the criteria, demand may far exceed the relative size of Zindra to the non-Adult Mainland.

2 hours ago, diamond Marchant said:

I believe that Linden Lab's land policy concerning protected-connected water expansion is fair to residents. I have no idea who you believe is "Living life by not wanting others to have nice things".

SecondLife and it's economy has a lot to do with land speculation so the idea that someone benefits because of a zoning change to Protected lands or waterways is really not a moral issue  but a speculative investment in a hoped for benefit.

3 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Maybe that's to act as a proxy for whatever the potentially Adult-engaged avatar might have been doing "behind closed doors" on Mature-rated regions, so they don't rez in flagrante amidst a proper M-rated infoHub tea party.

Methinks that's the idea. If you get redirected to an InfoHub on a relog after your orgy crashed the sim, you'll always end up on A-rated land that way.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

I believe the goal was to free-up region servers for other priorities identified in this thread. The Arapaima "safe hub" geography has never made much sense to me

Ah yes. Arapaima actually exists for one specific moment in SL history that I remember now.

The day Zindra launched, they were starting us there, and then let us move forward into the continent.

Here my memory gets fuzzy: were we locked to that spot and just camming for a while, was there a ceremony there, or what... But I know it featured in the opening somehow, and was the kind of spot you'd expect to vanish after an event was over.

I recall there was some kind of ceremony over at Mosh or Mosh South but again - memory is very fuzzy.

8 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

The proliferation of these hub regions on Zindra seems a bit surprising. Is it really true that merely enabling Adult search is enough to land you at one of those hubs when relogging into a crashed region (not, as I'd thought, the maturity rating of the region you were trying to log into)?

It was a for while. Not sure if it still is, but for years I'd find myself in those spots anytime I stayed on a region past it's restart - even if I'd been on a G region. Particularly the one in Oritz. SL seemed to love throwing me there.

Edited by UnilWay SpiritWeaver
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 217 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.