Ideas for a "More Realistic Experience" in Second Life

Love Zhaoying

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 253 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Not that "realistic". Read some European Folklore.

You see terms like "The Fair Folk"  etc.

There are many different kinds of fey. They aren't all beautiful. Our idea of tall, slender, beautiful elves comes mostly from Tolkien, who probably got this view from Norse mythology. "The Fair Folk" in English language folklore refers to a wide variety of fey though. Calling them "fair" is more likely an attempt to appease them in the hope that they won't cause mischief.

https://tropedia.fandom.com/wiki/The_Fair_Folk#:~:text=The Fair Folk almost always,and swap people for changelings.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm not big on realism, but I think sock goblins that eat only one sock of each pair is a must. Also gives me someone to blame when holes appear in the curtains.

I noted when Fantasy Faire had a toilet that one time that normally they didn't. Probably not a good idea to encourage people to go by the waffle trees. Health and safety and all that. But technically, as long as you're okay to hold on for a few more years, there will probably be a toilet again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Persephone Emerald said:

There are many different kinds of fey. They aren't all beautiful. Our idea of tall, slender, beautiful elves comes mostly from Tolkien, who probably got this view from Norse mythology. "The Fair Folk" in English language folklore refers to a wide variety of fey though. Calling them "fair" is more likely an attempt to appease them in the hope that they won't cause mischief.

https://tropedia.fandom.com/wiki/The_Fair_Folk#:~:text=The Fair Folk almost always,and swap people for changelings.

Aren't "unseelies" relatively unattractive Fey?

• Like 1

On 9/25/2023 at 10:08 AM, Marigold Devin said:

OK. Realism in Second Life.

Put a bus service schedule up and bus stops all around the mainland, then just don't have enough buses or drivers to service them.

:D

I actually DID have a bus stop at one of my roadside parcels.  Nothing came by.  I also had a beach trailer in Belli that had not a bus stop, but a stop for a water taxi -- including a clickable rezzer for the water taxi.

newsign1_001.thumb.png.bd0b5385b08d2003eb76c9581d32746c.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

A purse from which you can pull out a lipstick and compact to apply lipstick.  It's the only thing I see as being a use for those avatars standing around a club with a purse.  Make it functional!   Or your SO hands you his keys and wallet and asks you to hold them for him.

I don't have a purse that does that, but I DO have an object somewhere in my inventory that is a compact with an "apply lipstick" animation.  I've also got a nail file with the appropriate animation.  And I'm rarely seen without my cell phone lol

17thRezDay_001.thumb.png.2efb6414387931a178c8e4e83e8e4d31.png

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Aren't "unseelies" relatively unattractive Fey?

One would think so from the name, but unseelies are not necessarily unsightly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classifications_of_fairies

From this Wikipedia page, there seem to be various ways that fey were classified. Germanic folklore had light elves and dark elves. Scottish folklore had seelie and unseelie. French folklore had good fey and evil fey, but no naming distinction is given for grouping them.

Those beautiful, seductive and deadly maidens that were thought to reside in lakes or the sea throughout European folklore and Mediterranean myth could be thought of as "unseelie" because they would often down or devour men. Some examples are La Belle Dame San Mercie, sirens, mermaids, rusalka, and lamiae. Melusine, selkies and lamiak, in contrast, should be considered "seelie" because they more often helped people or at least didn't kill them. 

A kelpie (unseelie) in Scottish folklore is also generally seen as a beautiful black horse that lives in lakes and drowns people.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

One would think so from the name, but unseelies are not necessarily unsightly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classifications_of_fairies

From this Wikipedia page, there seem to be various ways that fey were classified. Germanic folklore had light elves and dark elves. Scottish folklore had seelie and unseelie. French folklore had good fey and evil fey, but no naming distinction is given for grouping them.

Those beautiful, seductive and deadly maidens that were thought to reside in lakes or the sea throughout European folklore and Mediterranean myth could be thought of as "unseelie" because they would often down or devour men. Some examples are La Belle Dame San Mercie, sirens, mermaids, rusalka, and lamiae. Melusine, selkies and lamiak, in contrast, should be considered "seelie" because they more often helped people or at least didn't kill them. 

My only exposure to Unseelies in fiction, was that they were the "bad guys" Fey.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

My only exposure to Unseelies in fiction, was that they were the "bad guys" Fey.

I like how one web page described the seelie as being aligned with Life, spring and summer, while the unseelie are aligned with Death, autumn and winter. Both are nature spirits, though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

I actually DID have a bus stop at one of my roadside parcels.  Nothing came by.  I also had a beach trailer in Belli that had not a bus stop, but a stop for a water taxi -- including a clickable rezzer for the water taxi.

newsign1_001.thumb.png.bd0b5385b08d2003eb76c9581d32746c.png

Thanks for that, that's just brilliant. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/25/2023 at 10:18 PM, BilliJo Aldrin said:

The lack of bathrooms in sl is terrible. If I have to go, a lot of times i just squat behind a potted palm. But if you can't rezz a puddle, did you really go?

Yes, it's a real thing

Laughing at this has actually given me RL hiccups! Oh my word, is it bad that I want to buy this HUD and go round "tinkling" all over the place? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

My real life is complicated enough without Second Life introducing these added complications like having to pay rates, utility bills, food, eat food, sleep. HUDs and systems to enforce such things exist (for a cost of course).

I like the no limits but my imagination thing though.

• Like 8

23 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

You want realism?

image.jpeg.0d0e705df68839862ddf71a6709d863a.jpeg

[Insert diabolical laughter]

Forget about ball pits for men in stores where their ladies are shopping, or untangling the knots in your hair or stepping in dog poo.

Airways and circulation. Make sure there's enough oxygen in the air and enough ventilation to expell CO₂, or your avatar goes horizontal. Also, make sure their heart keeps pumping, requiring a continuous supply of oxygen and nutrients through eating and drinking. The rest is just details.

And how about hardcore mode? Is your avatar dying from asphyxia, dehydration, malutrition or various kinds of shock? Boom, your account gets deleted.

Did we all have a Tamagotchi? How upset were we when it "died"?

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Putting aside the "account deletion" aspect, idea: "100 Ways to Die in the West" mode. Similar to "Oregon Trail" mode.

- "You have died of dysentery"

- "You were attacked by a squad of rogue Bots"

- "Your lovers found out about your Alts and have murdered you"

- "You have died in a battle of Wits"

- "You have fallen from Orbit and died"

- "Your wardrobe malfunction has caused you to die from embarassment"

And when we die, a gravestone pops up in place of our avatar, with cause of death on it to warn other people to take better care of their SLives.

temp laugh.jpg

Edited by Marigold Devin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

- An occasional tornado that shreds everything to pieces beyond repair on a sim
- The Linden Ocean that floods all coastal parcels at least twice a year
- Courts for customer to customer and for customers to LL disputes
- Thunderstorms that can set your place on fire
- rain and snow storms
- yearly income tax forms
- burglars and thieves that steal your stuff when you forget to lock your doors when you TP out.
- no more TP of flying like a bird

That would all add to realism, but I would not like it at all.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

- An occasional tornado that shreds everything to pieces beyond repair on a sim
- The Linden Ocean that floods all coastal parcels at least twice a year
- Courts for customer to customer and for customers to LL disputes
- Thunderstorms that can set your place on fire
- rain and snow storms
- yearly income tax forms
- burglars and thieves that steal your stuff when you forget to lock your doors when you TP out.
- no more TP of flying like a bird

That would all add to realism, but I would not like it at all.

Yes! I was thinking of hurricanes earlier.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

And when we die, a gravestone pops up in place of our avatar, with cause of death on it to warn other people to take better care of their Slives.

temp laugh.jpg

I am reminded when there were "ghost-like" avatar "remnants" somehow in initial Bellisseria. (It was due to some type of bug, IIRC.) Lindens / Moles investigated even.  I also remember some type of "memorial" was created in at least one place.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I am reminded when there were "ghost-like" avatar "remnants" somehow in initial Bellisseria. (It was due to some type of bug, IIRC.) Lindens / Moles investigated even.  I also remember some type of "memorial" was created in at least one place.

Pictures or it didn't happen :D 

This kind of stuff makes my mouth water.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 253 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.