How would you feel if Second Life had a like/dislike rating for residents?

Gopi Passiflora

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 282 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

18 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Heck, being Canadian, maybe she doesn't even know what it "means"!!  They are supposed to be "extra nice", y'know.

Oh I'm not nice at ALL.

Just this morning I raised an unfriendly eyebrow at the worker in Tim Horton's who tried to put sugar in my coffee!

(Ok, just joking. I don't drink that swill.

SEE? That wasn't at ALL a nice thing to say about Tim Horton's coffee!)

I'm totally cool with my emoji being removed. It was done in the heat of the moment. On the whole, I don't think it is going to help maintaining civility here if it's allowed.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Just this morning I raised an unfriendly eyebrow at the worker in Tim Horton's who tried to put sugar in my coffee!

Did his head essplode?

(Ok, just joking. I don't drink that swill.

SEE? That wasn't at ALL a nice thing to say about Tim Horton's coffee!)

I suppose not, unless you are a big fan of Pigs - who eat "swill".  Now that I remember, your Malt "Dick" is..a pig..

I'm totally cool with my emoji being removed. It was done in the heat of the moment. On the whole, I don't think it is going to help maintaining civility here if it's allowed.

The copy I quoted earlier was still there a few minutes ago, at least. Maybe Ted's was deleted and yours wasn't?  It's so hard to go back and forth, searching for possibly-deleted posts..ETA: Wouldn't we have to be civil in the first place?

Edited by Love Zhaoying

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Did his head essplode?

Don't be silly. He was profusely apologetic. For he, too, is Canadian.

I suppose not, unless you are a big fan of Pigs - who eat "swill".  Now that I remember, your Malt "Dick" is..a pig..

7 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Richard is my creation, but I am definitely not a fan. His first name was not an accident.

The copy I quoted earlier was still there a few minutes ago, at least. Maybe Ted's was deleted and yours wasn't?  It's so hard to go back and forth, searching for possibly-deleted posts..

Is it? Maybe they haven't got around to it. I'll seen if I can remove it myself.

ETA: Done.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:
16 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:
16 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

No need to derail this fine thread.

Is it a derail? 

I think it gets to the root of why this proposal is a poor idea.

Expand  

I meant, to argue over whether "competition is good" or "competition is bad" would possibly be a derail. Discussing whether many, if not most activities and behaviors in Second Life are rooted in competition, sure.

A few theoretical quotes, to test whether they sound like something you'd not blink at, if you heard / read them in Second Life:

- "I think XXX is the best mesh body."

- "I think XXX is the best place to live."

- "I think XXX is the best fitting skin for XXX body."

- "XXX is one of the most recognized DJ's / creators / builders / blogs / security systems / in-world games".

-"XXX is my favorite club."

- "XXX is the best tipper."

- "XXX has the best art shows."

Do I really need to go on?

Back to this..

@Scylla Rhiadra, are you certain you don't want to discuss this?  I didn't see a reply so re-quoted myself.  Just in case you missed it against all the background noise, "finger pointing", etc. 🙂

Thanks!

ETA: OMG! Maybe THAT's why the "finger emoji" is "bad"!  Isn't "finger pointing" generally disallowed under Forum Community Guidelines?

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Back to this..

@Scylla Rhiadra, are you certain you don't want to discuss this?  I didn't see a reply so re-quoted myself.  Just in case you missed it against all the background noise, "finger pointing", etc. 🙂

Thanks!

ETA: OMG! Maybe THAT's why the "finger emoji" is "bad"!  Isn't "finger pointing" generally disallowed under Forum Community Guidelines?

The examples you cite aren't codified ratings, built into the platform. I think I'd argue that they are really just instances of the deployment of judgment and critical thinking.

Believing that competition is not the best, fairest, or most efficient mechanism for change is not at all, of course, the same thing as judging things. The issue as I see it is the difference between an assessment of the relative worth or value of something, and a systemic approach that makes being competitive (as opposed to being evaluated) integral to how a platform or culture functions and develops.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Just now, Arielle Popstar said:

Just remind them you are sweet enough so they will remember for next time!

Well, the only thing I actually purchase at my local Timmy's is the occasional (VERY occasional, oof!) donut. And maybe twice a year a sandwich.

But you only need to LOOK at me to know how sweet I am!

/me does an adorable little dance while sporting a dimpled smile and fluttering eyelashes

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

What does this one mean, and is it legal? (Dr Google gives me different meanings, some not very nice at all.)

🦀🦀🦀

A crab taco would be bad. Eggplant served with crabs would be bad. If it's just crabs though, I think it's just some crustaceans going for a walk on the beach.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

The examples you cite aren't codified ratings, built into the platform. I think I'd argue that they are really just instances of the deployment of judgment and critical thinking.

Believing that competition is not the best, fairest, or most efficient mechanism for change is not at all, of course, the same thing as judging things. The issue as I see it is the difference between an assessment of the relative worth or value of something, and a systemic approach that makes being competitive (as opposed to being evaluated) integral to how a platform or culture functions and develops.

I am only saying those examples represent the "competition" at the heart of Second Life. Not that there are "ratings" involved, except better/worse, etc. I was trying to respond to your statement earlier which I interpreted as, "it is very cynical to say that Second Life is all about competition".

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I am only saying those examples represent the "competition" at the heart of Second Life.

Well, it is, insofar as SL is modeled on a free market economy of the most extreme kind (i.e., virtually no "government" regulation, no consumer protections, etc.)

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

The issue as I see it is the difference between an assessment of the relative worth or value of something, and a systemic approach that makes being competitive (as opposed to being evaluated) integral to how a platform or culture functions and develops.

That's a big reason why I dislike sports -- it's too much about competition. Although I did like the movie about sports named Cool Runnings where the team opted to assist fellow sportsmen who were in trouble, causing them to lose the race if I remember right.

Yeah...there's judgement inworld....everyone has an opinion about what is best.

Personally, I stay as far away from competition as I can.  I choose my clothes because I think they're pretty, and it's not based on what anybody else does.

I create nature art out of love, and not to win any contest.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 282 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.