What is This?

Cedric Brown

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 373 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My one suspension in seventeen years was for encroachment—which ironically was for putting out some markers at the request of Michael Linden to help plot the SLRR curve in Tussock—and the suspension expired before I got around to logging in. (I did not learn my lesson. In fact, there's a "Michael Linden Stood Here" plaque in Crumbi to prove it.)

Anyway, yeah, the advertising bot isn't great but unless they start turning up all over maybe we can treat this one as just a curiosity. It never occurred to me to touch it for a landmark (duh!) but I inspected the attached object and followed the lead to an exceptionally lame rental island with an AFK bot brothel in the middle. Looks as if they're following the traffic rules there at least.

A technical question: This thing cycles the ad textures, the same one on all sides, and there aren't that many of them, and yet each time they take a few moments to rez in. There's even a few seconds of gradual fade-to-black and back tint effect while the new texture emerges on the surface but it's still not fully rezzed when the fading is over. I was all set to gripe about the scripter not even knowing to pre-load textures until I noticed the textures still weren't loaded after they'd been shown for many cycles. What's up with that?

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

In that case, I come back to "The Lindens are inconsistent and prone to mistakes".

But as has been said elsewhere each case is unique.  A tiny bit of your house encroaching and it's obvious you've tried to make it all fit is entirely different to huge structures blocking the road

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

Because it is doing the same thing as razzing an object on Governor Linden's land would be doing.

Right but I think there's confusion about which part is an abuse. There's nothing wrong with an animation that buries the avatar underground deep enough the nametag is only visible with some effort. The abuse is the sleazy attempt to skirt the network advertising rules, as you say.

Judging by their other commercial offerings, this is a personal best, having even won a mention in the forums. Mom must be ever so proud. We should think twice before denying this paragon of enterprise such a pinnacle of achievement.

8 hours ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

Because it is doing the same thing as razzing an object on Governor Linden's land would be doing.

It's technically nothing of the sort. Wearing some thing and rezzing it on land are two very different things.

It's an avatar, a "Member of the Public" standing about in a "Public Place".

The fact that it's wearing "advertising" is largely irrelevant,  banning "Members of the Public" from wearing advertising in "Public Places" would also include T-shirts with brand names on, or even jeans with a leather parch on the back with the maker's name.

Concerned.Vigillante wrote: "Argh! You're wearing SLevi Jeans in a Public place, take them off RIGHT NOW or I'll Abuse Report you for illegal advertising on Govenor Linden's land!!"

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 373 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.