Demos...

bigmoe Whitfield

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 229 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So why is the listing practice still allowed that creators whom make clothing for mesh bodies of all types are allowed to not offer a demo of the item?

why would I the consumer just throw money at something I can not try on first?  since my mesh body type (shape) is not a standard shape?  like I need to know what I need to about tweaking without having to throw 2k down on an outfit I might be able to make work...    demos should be something that is required to even sell on the market place for clothes.

*end rant*

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

So why is the listing practice still allowed that creators whom make clothing for mesh bodies of all types are allowed to not offer a demo of the item?

While demos clearly are good business practice why would we be entitled to demos? There is no such thing as mandatory demos.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

While demos clearly are good business practice why would we be entitled to demos? There is no such thing as mandatory demos.

we should be, if some one is making clothes for a certain body, there should be a demo so we can make sure we can wear them,  I have to always adjust something and I cant do that if there is not a demo.   I'm just a bit fussy with clothing.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

we should be, if some one is making clothes for a certain body, there should be a demo so we can make sure we can wear them,  I have to always adjust something and I cant do that if there is not a demo.   I'm just a bit fussy with clothing.

Clothing must have tail-hole for floof?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

why would I the consumer just throw money at something I can not try on first?  since my mesh body type (shape) is not a standard shape?  like I need to know what I need to about tweaking without having to throw 2k down on an outfit I might be able to make work...    demos should be something that is required to even sell on the market place for clothes.

*end rant*

I sort of even understand the desire to make it mandatory.  In other 'games' where the avatar can be dressed, there are preview type functions that let you see how the item would look on you.  We don't have that ability in SL unless we get a demo, which is not always available. 

In RL, in most (maybe all) clothing stores, you can try items on before buying them, but we don't get the same options for all things purchased online.

In SL, we just have to force ourselves to not give in and buy something without a demo (unless we are willing to throw that money away) - and it can help to let the merchant know, though not all merchants care. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Flaire Xevion said:

Really, so all web shops give you a demo option in RL? Name one. 

If that was in reference to my post, you might want to read it a bit closer:

On 8/21/2023 at 4:10 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

In RL, in most (maybe all) clothing stores, you can try items on before buying them, but we don't get the same options for all things purchased online.

And, I actually can name an online store that basically gives me demos: Amazon -- There are quite a few clothing items I can order on a "7 day trial". If I don't like it, return it and I'm not charged.  If it isn't returned in 7 days, then they charge me.  Pretty darn close to a "demo option".

On 8/21/2023 at 12:56 PM, bigmoe Whitfield said:

*end rant*

I agree. I have a Maitreya body so I hardly ever demo an outfit from well known stores but if it's a store I've never bought from and they don't have a demo unless there are raves reviews I usually skip it.  I can understand people that don't have a standard shape wanting a demo.  I will never buy from a store that has a five minute demo even if the outfit fits well. 

Edited by Sam1 Bellisserian

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/22/2023 at 7:34 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

And, I actually can name an online store that basically gives me demos: Amazon -- There are quite a few clothing items I can order on a "7 day trial". If I don't like it, return it and I'm not charged.  If it isn't returned in 7 days, then they charge me.  Pretty darn close to a "demo option".

That's rapidly changing though in the retailing landscape.

Most online retailers now are introducing a return fee to dissuade the "try five and return four" type of shoppers, and to actually cover their costs for shipping items that get returned rather than taking a loss. In many countries this is becoming the norm, so I'd call this seven day trial thing more of a rental now, than a demo.

Even Amazon is doing this now for UPS returns, though it's a minimal fee.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong

7 hours ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Even Amazon is doing this now for UPS returns, though it's a minimal fee.

True, but luckily 99.9% of the returns that I do on Amazon can be dropped at Whole Foods or Khols. 

And also, luckily, Kohls is not yet charging for return of items bought online -- because I am one of those people that buy 20 items on one order and then return 75% of them. I absolutely HATE going to stores to try things on.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 229 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.