Avatars whose birthdates range from one day - 2 weeks old shouldn't be allowed in Linden Sandbox.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4696 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If you read my thread, you must  be wondering why? I have been playing around in Linden Public Sandbox for a couple of weeks now and I noticed that avatars have been making scripted objects that rezzed hundreds of huge physical objects and craps that lags the whole parcel. And not surprisingly, most of the culprits that I checked have these similiar porfolios or --> birthdates as young as one day or 4 days old. Why this is so? It is because their main alternate have been banned and the same culprits have been registering new ones and making all sorts of nonsense in Linden Public sandbox.

For these reasons, I hope that Linden management should disallow new avatars from straight entering the sandbox.If they are really new, they should be wondering around the New Island or making friends, learn to build in small sandboxes.Dont let them enter the Public sandbox and start griefing staff all over again. I hope my suggestion are well received and supported by genuine sandbox users and Linden staff.

Public sandboxes are "public". Most not run by Linden Lab.

New users need a place to build and learn even that attracts some idiots doing nonsense with fake accounts. That´s not new SL users, usually thats "old" ones thinking this is fun.

Most sandboxes have guards to control this but not everyone who offers a sim for free to play has the time or money for security.

To really do serious builds, maybe for sale, public sandboxes are not the best place to go because you open the door for copybotting your things before they even released.

This doesn´t solve the problem that exist since public sandboxes are around and will to the end of SL ...

Avoid them like the devil   :smileywink:

Monti 

Speaking as someone who spent their first couple of months in sandboxes and has returned many many times to even the griefiest of sims. I say: Leave them as they are.

It's a great place to learn how to handle these people. Find the techniques that make griefers useless. Keep several bookmarks of locations and be prepared to move at the slightest notice. Take regular copies or saves. Use a high platform.

If the sim starts to lag, pack up and move and forget about the problems, they won't always be there.

Thanks Scope and Setekh for your views and tips.

Additonal question: Is there any way on Linden side to recruit volunteers to help in supervising the Linden sandbox. I would love to kick the griefers butt but I would ended up being the griefer myself. Volunteers can legally kick their butts out from sandbox.

:P

If someone creates an account with the intention of finding a sandbox to create a griefing tool & then go cause havok with it until they are banned, then all that will happen if you lock them out of the sandboxes, is that they will find some land that the owner has left build on and create it there instead, causing havok in some residential or commercial neighbourhood instead.

I say leave them as they are, the less time they spend in the general community before they get banned the better.

In my opinion linden sanboxes are exactly where new members should be. Especially if they are the ones with resources and building guides that help people learn step by step. If they even have those anymore. However like has already been said, these griefers are not newbies, they older members with numerous alts looking to cause problems because they think its funny. We get new people on our sim from time to time the only ones that cause any problems end up being alts of someone be banned.

my fiance just opened his account a few days ago and went premium right away..went to a sand box to rezz his boxes so we could get his shape and skin and clothes on him..

he tried doing it where the avatar was born..but there is no place to rezz things there..the lands wouldn't allow it..

so where do we send them then?

just have them sit there until the clock ticks saying ..ok now you can really go out in the world..

would you honestly settle for that as well if it was you just entering SL and having to wait around before you could go out into the world?

Like the poor, the griefers we'll always have with us.  If we push them out of the Linden sandboxes, they'll just hang out somewhere even more annoying.  Meanwhile, the sandboxes make a handy place to use ARs to thin the herd.

In fact, it may be the griefers that keep the Linden sandboxes open at all.  I mean, it's not as if there's big money in it for LL to give people an easy way to avoid having to own or rent land.  If, on the other hand, they closed the sandboxes and unleashed all those resident griefers on the rest of the grid, land ownership would be a lot less appealing.

Maybe, then, we should thank sandbox griefers for their role in maintaining the natural order of the universe.

I understand the problem the OP is describing, but the proposed solution is too heavy handed. As others have noted in different ways, we really don't need to make the (legit) newbie experience any harder than it already is...

And since I haven't gone and seen how bad the problem is - yet, I found an annoyance object I want to take apart and I don't want to do it where it'll impact my neighbors in Mowry if it starts up - I'll hold off on any additional comments.

Edit: "Like the poor, the griefers we'll always have with us."  LOL! Wonder if I've found my sig quote for the new forums...

Retention rates are low enough as it is.  The overwhelming majority of new accounts are not griefers.  You should AR the culprits and consider another sandbox.  Problems with griefers should not be allowed to dictate the way the grid operates.

Feel free to buy or rent land though if you wish to build without rubbing shoulders with those nasty unwashed newbies.

It's bad enough the Lindens let landowners list in the Destination Guide without explicitly stating when they have their land set up to send new avatars home....especially since that script often causes the avatar on the receiving end to have problems that many new users are not prepared yet to deal with.

Secondlife needs to be easier and friendlier for new users given that retention rates are a particular problem, not more exclusionary and difficult as your proposal entails.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm new to SL, but been an avid gamer for years.  If I had not been allowed in sandboxes, I would not have made it to day 2.  I'm sure I did annoying things out of ignorance (rezzing a house in the sandbox - found it in my inventory).  Is there any other place to learn other than public sandbox?  I mean, if I get a message that I just got a free helicopter, I'm going to the sandbox to see it.  Is that bad?

TreshaPet wrote:

I'm new to SL, but been an avid gamer for years.  If I had not been allowed in sandboxes, I would not have made it to day 2.  I'm sure I did annoying things out of ignorance (rezzing a house in the sandbox - found it in my inventory).  Is there any other place to learn other than public sandbox?  I mean, if I get a message that I just got a free helicopter, I'm going to the sandbox to see it.  Is that bad?

Tresha you are using the sandboxes for exactly what they were intended, so you are absolutely not doing anything bad.

If people don`t want to be bothered by others in a public sandbox, they can go and get their own land.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4696 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.