Are We even Allowed to Do this in SL?

Atrexyu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 274 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Are you Allowed to Charge/Bill someone in Second Life for digital Goods Using any Automated Debit /credit card Service such as Paypal business Or others For Things Like patron Services Using Real World Currency Without Going thru Linden Labs?

Example: You want to become a Premium member of a Group that gives you monthly benefits of In World Items Which You are given a link to an outside website that has you put in your real-life credit/debit card information they bill you automatically monthly for $100.00 USD:   Is this allowed to be done without consent of Linden Labs?

11 answers to this question

34 minutes ago, Atrexyu said:

Are you Allowed to Charge/Bill someone in Second Life for digital Goods Using any Automated Debit /credit card Service such as Paypal business Or others For Things Like patron Services Using Real World Currency Without Going thru Linden Labs?

Example: You want to become a Premium member of a Group that gives you monthly benefits of In World Items Which You are given a link to an outside website that has you put in your real-life credit/debit card information they bill you automatically monthly for $100.00 USD:   Is this allowed to be done without consent of Linden Labs?

I used to pay for my land rental monthly using PayPal. I don't see why it wouldn't be allowed. You run your own risks doing it that way though.

1 hour ago, Atrexyu said:

As soon you start  with real life paymentdetails, and included personal real info, you will need to be sure that's handled very secure, if something fails on that you'd be in court the rest of your life.
Just something to think about.

It has to be a giant perk in a residental run groupbefore i will pay with my rl details to a SL resident .. and 100 dollars? come on..
A landlord is a different thing, those are very often RL registered companies ( to have as example VAT profits) so those who are, have strict official governmental rules and laws to follow.

Edited by Alwin Alcott

17 hours ago, Atrexyu said:

Yes it is allowed. 

Is it safe?  IMO, no

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Even if the outside website is secure (and it seems that NO sites are immune to getting compromised), any user will have conflated their avatar account name with their RL name and financial data. Now the owner of the website knows who you are. Anonymity is lost, and there is a very real possibility for things like fraud, identity theft, and blackmail.

I would NEVER use such a website.

14 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Even if the outside website is secure (and it seems that NO sites are immune to getting compromised), any user will have conflated their avatar account name with their RL name and financial data. Now the owner of the website knows who you are. Anonymity is lost, and there is a very real possibility for things like fraud, identity theft, and blackmail.

I would NEVER use such a website.

Are you saying that paying somebody in SL through services like PayPal, Patreon, or Ko-fi is unsafe? :P

Even if "allowed", and even if it WERE "safe"..with the possibility of stating the obvious, isn't making "direct payments" outside of the Second Life economy a risk, because there is no way to "prove" you paid someone for Second Life "goods or services"?

Basically, if you pay someone in "real money" outside of Second Life, you are doing them several favors:

1) They do not have to pay any fees for "cashing out" via Tilia, etc.

2) Even though "Resident-to-Resident" payments WITHIN Second Life may not have any recourse with Linden Lab if challenged, by paying someone "outside" of Second Life, there is proof you ever paid them. They can just keep the money and do nothing for you, since there is no proof in Second Life that you ever paid them.

Just thinkin'.

25 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Even if "allowed", and even if it WERE "safe"..with the possibility of stating the obvious, isn't making "direct payments" outside of the Second Life economy a risk, because there is no way to "prove" you paid someone for Second Life "goods or services"?

Basically, if you pay someone in "real money" outside of Second Life, you are doing them several favors:

2) Even though "Resident-to-Resident" payments WITHIN Second Life may not have any recourse with Linden Lab if challenged, by paying someone "outside" of Second Life, there is proof you ever paid them. They can just keep the money and do nothing for you, since there is no proof in Second Life that you ever paid them.

Just thinkin'.

If everybody was using an external payment service then yeah, I think that would be some cause for concern!

There would still be other things that contribute a lot to Second Life's existence, like region ownership and Premium membership fees.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:
32 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

If everybody was using an external payment service then yeah, I think that would be some cause for concern!

There would still be other things that contribute a lot to Second Life's existence, like region ownership and Premium membership fees.

I was more commenting that they are "cheating the system", not that they are necessarily "harming" Second Life.  I guess my point is, if someone is not playing by "the rules", then they have an "unfair advantage" over everyone else. 

1 hour ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Are you saying that paying somebody in SL through services like PayPal, Patreon, or Ko-fi is unsafe? :P

No. Or not any more unsafe than the rest of the commercial online world. I'm thinking more of a site set up by a resident, as the OP seems to be implying.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 274 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.