I reported somebody to LL for constant public chat harassment and now they have used an alt to get my friend banned???

SirArthurDoyle75

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 275 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Okay so I've known this girl in real life for a few years now. We were sort of dating for a bit. I had introduced her to Second Life and she loved it... Anyway we amicably broke up after a few months as it wasn't really working out. She started to date this guy in Second Life and he has multiple avatars. Turns out he's a very controlling person and pretty much despised the fact that I'd be on the same sim as them. I've been going to this sim for years (I've been using SL for almost 16 years now on my main.) So I'd go to the sim to relax and then, within 5 minutes he'd show up and bring her to dance in an attempt to make me jealous, etc. However I was long over her and, as I said, our breakup was for the best.

Recently she ended things with him because he became even more controlling. I have him blocked on his many avatars but he knows he can use the public chat to send nasty messages. He'll wait for me to be on the sim and then TP there within 5 minutes, walk into chat range and start to insult me and, if she's there, he'll insult her as well.

They had a joint email address so that she could make an avatar to practice making a good looking avatar on (the joint email address was his idea.. She was smitten and foolishly believed him..) She brought all of the clothing, the hair, the shapes, the heads, the skins, etc. But when she broke up with him she decided to change the associated email address and password for that account because he wants nothing more than to have that avatar. All of this evening he was threatening her.. Saying he was going to report her, accusing her of hacking, saying he was going to report her to the email provider and to the police for hacking him, etc. I often have to explain things to her, in detail, on how to use computer software, etc. so the idea of her being able to hack is laughable!

Anyway I got sick of his threats, I got sick of him trying to frighten her, I got sick of him coming by and saying mean things in public chat.. So I reported him to Linden Labs.. His main avatar has been banned but within an hour of him being banned SHE has been banned. I assume he has logged onto an alt and filed a false abuse report against her. I had contacted Linden Labs in live chat about an hour before this happened. I wanted to ask what could be done about him and expressed my concerns that she feared being banned if she reported him. I'm thinking that he's reported her for "hacking" his account but it's simply not true. She's not the brightest when it comes to computers but this man is full of hatred and rage so to have his main avatar banned has REALLY annoyed him. He has chosen to retaliate by reporting her. This mans ego is off the scale and that's why he has been treating her in such a way.

Is there anything she can do to appeal this? I know she could submit a ticket but I sincerely believe 100% that she has been wrongly banned from Second Life due to the actions of a controlling man with a grudge. I tried to make Linden Labs aware of the situation but they simply said that she had to report him. I reported him for harassing her and he has retaliated by getting her banned. Just seems kinda unfair.

• Sad 2

14 answers to this question

1 hour ago, SirArthurDoyle75 said:

I just asked her and it turns out that he initially created the email address so yeah... 

I guess they assume that she is him as well. How would she even appeal via email? I think she submitted a ticket yesterday but they haven't replied.

let it go

2 hours ago, SirArthurDoyle75 said:

I just asked her and it turns out that he initially created the email address

Thus, as Wulfie said:

21 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

If I'm reading this right, the account was created using his email address, and then she changed the email and password because she wanted the account after the breakup.

Looking at the situation from Linden Lab's perspective, she basically stole the account

She's screwed.  

15 minutes ago, SirArthurDoyle75 said:

So I reported him to Linden Labs.. His main avatar has been banned but within an hour of him being banned SHE has been banned.

It is entirely possible that they both got banned for sharing an account.  

In any case, other than trying an appeal, there is nothing she can do.  And there is definitely nothing you can do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

It is entirely possible that they both got banned for sharing an account.  

In any case, other than trying an appeal, there is nothing she can do.  And there is definitely nothing you can do.

Yeah that makes sense.. Don't married couples share accounts though? I suppose that, if he got banned and he had logged into her account using his PC.. They'd assume it's an alt...

Edited by SirArthurDoyle75
  • Thanks 1

They had a joint email address so that she could make an avatar to practice making a good looking avatar on (the joint email address was his idea.. She was smitten and foolishly believed him..)

But when she broke up with him she decided to change the associated email address and password for that account because he wants nothing more than to have that avatar.

His main avatar has been banned but within an hour of him being banned SHE has been banned.

Is there anything she can do to appeal this?

If I'm reading this right, the account was created using his email address, and then she changed the email and password because she wanted the account after the breakup.

Looking at the situation from Linden Lab's perspective, she basically stole the account and the guy is within his rights to have the account closed or returned to him. Though, because he's banned, that account is going to be banned with him. I don't think there's any way to appeal this.

Just to clarify: Sharing accounts is not a bannable offense itself -- the owner of the account is simply responsible for anything that happens even if the account is being used by somebody else. ("It wasn't me" wouldn't work as an excuse.)

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Robberinthemuseum said:

She should just start again with her own email and account

Except that creating a new account after being banned is a big NO-NO.  If LL is able to connect the new account to the old, the new account will be banned also.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Except that creating a new account after being banned is a big NO-NO.  If LL is able to connect the new account to the old, the new account will be banned also.

I'm sure the Lab can be talked to about this, not bargained with, just talked to. They still might refuse to communicate back though. They won't tell her why the account got banned. What they however most likely will tell her is wether she as a user is banned - if she is not "her" previous account is not considered hers to begin with.

If she as a user is banned she can try to appeal. Chances are slim but if she does have her include as much relevant detail as possible so the Lab folks working on the appeal have some material to judge over.

She'll have to find out wether she as a user is banned or wether just the account she created with her ex got banned but is associated with him and not with her. My approach would be writing an E-mail with a concise summary what happened, asking for the info wether she as a user was banned too because she has no intend on breaking the ToS  by creating a new account and wants to err on the right side.

• Like 1

Okay so I have an update... I still go to the sim that I've been going to for years.. However I noticed that his friends are still coming along, walking up to me to be within chat range then walking off again after 5 minutes.

This really has me on edge because what if they make a false abuse claim against me in order to get revenge for getting him banned? He was their clan leader and a very abusive one at that.. They'd often fight his battles for him, send them to give abuse to those who wronged him.

I have them all blocked, well the ones that I know about, but they keep showing up and I'm afraid that they're going to file a false abuse claim against me to get me banned as revenge.. Can they actually do this? I've literally said nothing to them. Not once. I have just blocked them the moment I saw them because I'm not getting drawn into this little feud. I really don't want to get banned because they want revenge on me.

7 minutes ago, SirArthurDoyle75 said:

Okay so I have an update... I still go to the sim that I've been going to for years.. However I noticed that his friends are still coming along, walking up to me to be within chat range then walking off again after 5 minutes.

This really has me on edge because what if they make a false abuse claim against me in order to get revenge for getting him banned? He was their clan leader and a very abusive one at that.. They'd often fight his battles for him, send them to give abuse to those who wronged him.

I have them all blocked, well the ones that I know about, but they keep showing up and I'm afraid that they're going to file a false abuse claim against me to get me banned as revenge.. Can they actually do this? I've literally said nothing to them. Not once. I have just blocked them the moment I saw them because I'm not getting drawn into this little feud. I really don't want to get banned because they want revenge on me.

LL doesn't ban people just for having abuse reports filed on them. They can check everything - local and private chat logs, object and linden transaction activity, etc. Keep completely ignoring them and you'll be fine.

• Like 2

I still go to the sim that I've been going to for years

I might suggest not going for a while.  I know one shouldn't have to change their behavior or usual spots but sometimes, a month or so removed from the situation can settle things down enough to go back.  

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 275 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.