Alts in the forums

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 327 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, BillFletcher said:
4 hours ago, Tayt3rChip said:

actually didn't know that it was against the rules to out alts either. 

Pretty much telling anyone anything about someone else without their consent is a violation.

..but..you're not revealing any RL stuff. 

Just, "Avatar X is Avatar Y".  

Can someone, anyone, point out a specific TOS violation for this?

TYVMIA!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BillFletcher said:

Pretty much telling anyone anything about someone else without their consent is a violation.

I'd argue that telling anything about their real life is a violation. Telling who you think their alts are or what they've done or are doing in Second Life isn't. For instance, you could say avatar X was in a certain RP sim and created drama there or they were partnered with avatar Y and cheated on them. That's the kind of drama that normally goes on in SL, and talking about it isn't against the TOS.

Saying avatar X actually a man or woman in RL or is married or isn't the race they say they are, would be against the TOS.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I'd argue that telling anything about their real life is a violation. Telling who you think their alts are or what they've done or are doing in Second Life isn't. For instance, you could say avatar X was in a certain RP sim and created drama there or they were partnered with avatar Y and cheated on them. That's the kind of drama that normally goes on in SL, and talking about it isn't against the TOS.

Saying avatar X actually a man or woman in RL or is married or isn't the race they say they are, would be against the TOS.

Potential Loophole where it could supposedly be "against TOS" but "not really"?

Step 1- Everyone knows Avatar "A" is a RL man

Step 2- Avatar "A" creates an Alt Avatar "B", as a woman, does not tell people they are RL man

Step 3- People find out Avatar "B" is really Avatar "A" and tell everyone it is "Avatar A" and in fact, a RL man

The problem is, "Step 1" and "Step 3" are Avatar "A's" own fault:

- Should not have told anyone they were RL man

- Should not have let people find out they are both Avatar "A" and Avatar "B"

Thoughts?

I may just be going more mad than usual on this one.

It may in fact all be irrelevant. 

But the fact Avatar "A" let ANYONE know they are a RL man in the first place would seem to be their own fault.

And the fact Avatar "A" is so bad at being a "different personality" as Avatar "B" (was easily found out, or told someone who told someone else..) would also seem to be their own fault.

It's not like the scenario above includes "Personally Identifiable Information".  We are just talking about "supposed RL gender" and two Avatars being one individual.  It could all still be "lies, damn lies, and statistics" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lies,_damned_lies,_and_statistics).

• Like 2

On 22.07.2023 at 22:07, BillFletcher said:

Нещодавно я думав про це, і так, я знаю, що, можливо, відкриваю банку черв’яків, яка призводить до закриття або видалення цієї теми, але добре.

Ми всі знаємо, що тут у формах є альтернативи, і, ймовірно, є такі, про які ми навіть не знаємо.

Тож я подумав, що мені цікаво, що люди думають про це, а не лише чи навіть насамперед, чи схвалюють люди тут альтернативи. Яка думка людей про те, як з ними слід поводитися? Я знаю пару хлопців із жіночими альт, які публікують фотографії цих альт у своєму основному обліковому записі. Я роблю це по-різному, розміщуючи фотографії під альтернативним обліковим записом. Звичайно, тут можуть бути облікові записи союзників, про які ніхто точно не знає. Я припускаю, що деякі люди можуть публікувати все на форумах під і alt, які вони не використовують регулярно для виконання SL. 

Тож все одно є. Я знаю, що краще не намагатися скерувати напрямок, у якому це буде відбуватися після того, як я натисну кнопку «Надіслати тему».

Well, the question is whether it is a threat or not. I think NO. After all, one person writes his thoughts, argues, answers and reasons - the person behind the monitor)) and it doesn't matter in what form - at least in the form of Malevich's black square)) Although in an alternative avatar. from Picasso. Statements are written by people) Maybe there are bots here - now it's neuro- so chic))) Regarding the photo - I had fun yesterday in the topic - What does your half look like)))) I don't consider it a threat. And, I think, not every person, even if their privacy is preserved, will start writing something about themselves, and even on general topics. But I'm very interested in the issue of violas) personally, I don't have time to play even on the base))) besides, it's a good waste of money - body, head and everything from the beginning)) . at least one thing is normal - at least take a photo )) with yourself alone)) LOL

On 23.07.2023 at 00:06, Love Zhaoying said:

Найчастіше ми ловимо «шкарпеткових маріонеток» за те, що у них мало постів і заходимо в гілку, щоб погодитися з «непопулярною думкою» тощо. 

I found this community after being in SL for years. It's just that somehow I didn't need to write or read anything)) I only kept a profile and that was it. And besides, there is also RL - in which everything is possible. so - it's not a fact that those who have few posts are the same "sock puppets", LOL 😁

18 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

But the fact Avatar "A" let ANYONE know they are a RL man in the first place would seem to be their own fault.

And the fact Avatar "A" is so bad at being a "different personality" as Avatar "B" (was easily found out, or told someone who told someone else..) would also seem to be their own fault.Whether one did or no

Whether one did so or not would not in my opinion negate these points of the Community Guidelines:

• Harassment: Harassment of any kind will not be tolerated. Harassment can include text or images that contain racist, threatening, abusive or hateful material.
  • Personal Information: Sharing someone else’s personal information—of any kind—is not allowed. Disclosing another Resident’s real-world identity, contact information, or the text of interpersonal communications (chat, email, IM) is not allowed.
  • Interpersonal Disputes or Personal Negative Commentary: If you have a personal disagreement, do not post about it on the Second Life community pages. Residents who have personal differences have other channels of communication available to them — private messaging in the forums, IM within Second Life, or chatting within Second Life.
  • No Flaming: "Flames" are hostile or disruptive posts, or messages intended to incite an angry response. Spirited discussion and constructive disagreement are welcome, but name-calling and airing of grievances are not appropriate in our discussion areas. We will also not tolerate any post that encourages others to violate any policy of Linden Lab
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

@Love Zhaoying

I think LL isn't going to bother with figuring out if someone broke the TOS is such a scenario.  I don't think they'd care enough to bother dealing with that.

If people were revealing the alt of Lindens or Moles, they might, however.

It's all a "Resident-to-Resident Dispute", like with financial transactions, etc.!

• Like 1

On 23.07.2023 at 00:14, Luna Bliss said:

Що ж, дивні речі можуть відбуватися.

Одного разу я з кимось серйозно посварився, а потім раптом на форумі з’явився досить новий учасник із кількома дописами, який був «збентежений» багатьма моїми дописами та викликав так званий «зневажливий сміх» над іншими. Я тоді не жартував.

Тож технічно, звісно, немає нічого поганого у використанні альтернатив на форумі, але деякі роблять це зі злості та з метою переслідування. Я б назвав це «неправильно».

oh yes) I was careless and in a post about friends I wrote that out of kindness I sometimes helped people. so - after that, some people in the world approached me and asked for some money))) the distance of the post from 2019 to 2023))) I was not in SL for a long time. that's why I wrote below - I HAVE NO MONEY PEOPLE! GO FISH! well, somehow) but if I had an alternative post - for example from a daughter's account - oh - nothing like this would happen! she doesn't care - she doesn't play at all.

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

..but..you're not revealing any RL stuff. 

Just, "Avatar X is Avatar Y".  

Can someone, anyone, point out a specific TOS violation for this?

TYVMIA!

It's in the "Disclosure" section of the Community Standards, which are incorporated into the TOS:

Disclosure

Sharing personal information about other users, either directly or indirectly, without their consent—including, but not limited to, gender, religion, age, marital status, race, sexual orientation, alternate account names (including account statuses, such as whether it is on hold, suspended, or active), and real-world location beyond what is provided by them in their user profile—is not allowed. Except for the purpose of reporting abuse or any violation of policies to Linden Lab, the remote monitoring, posting or sharing of conversations without a participant’s consent are prohibited.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 8

2 minutes ago, MoiraKathleen said:

It's in the "Disclosure" section of the Community Standards, which are incorporated into the TOS:

Disclosure

Sharing personal information about other users, either directly or indirectly, without their consent—including, but not limited to, gender, religion, age, marital status, race, sexual orientation, alternate account names (including account statuses, such as whether it is on hold, suspended, or active), and real-world location beyond what is provided by them in their user profile—is not allowed. Except for the purpose of reporting abuse or any violation of policies to Linden Lab, the remote monitoring, posting or sharing of conversations without a participant’s consent are prohibited.

People should make note of where it says, "beyond what is provided by them in their user profile---is not allowed".

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MoiraKathleen said:

Disclosure

Which is all true.  However, if the information was told in a public setting with no expectation of privacy, such as the forums, I highly doubt that falls under the disclosure rule.  

ETA...also, it I'm just guessing, I'm not disclosing anything anyone told me.  It's a guess.  Ignore it.  

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Rowan Amore said:

Which is all true.  However, if the information was told in a public setting with no expectation of privacy, such as the forums, I highly doubt that falls under the disclosure rule.  

Of course, if a person voluntarily shares the information about their own alt, or posts that information in their profile, then it doesn't come under the disclosure section.   I was posting the section that applies for when a person does not disclose that information themselves about their alt accounts. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Rowan Amore said:

But the person still disclosed it themselves so I'd not be disclosing anything not already out there.  Or I could just quote them and not 'say' a word.

Makes no difference. If it isn't on the profile, it cannot be disclosed by someone other than the profile owner. That's the terms of the ToS.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Silent Mistwalker said:

Makes no difference. If it isn't on the profile, it cannot be disclosed by someone other than the profile owner. That's the terms of the ToS.

It certainly can be quoted in the forums if they disclosed it in the forums.  Since we're discussing alts in the forums.  I'd not take something said here and disclose it inworld or vice versa.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MoiraKathleen said:

Disclosure

Thanks!

I suppose it is the "without their consent" part that's a problem, if someone "outs themselves" and word spreads. It is not enforceable - common sense here - for Linden Lab to dictate that people "keep secrets they've been told".

"Loose lips sink ships."

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 327 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.