What wrong with being a fanboy/ fangirl?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 337 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

..which is odd, since Canadians are see by U.S. folks as being mild-tempered and friendly! Being "not Americans" doesn't seem so friendly!

Unfortunately I'm hearing a lot of stories of late about how not-nice Canadians are (from someone living there).  It was upsetting to me -- I liked the stereotype of some group of Western people actually being nicer than average  :(

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:
4 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

But seriously, I can't think of a better definition for ego that someone who thinks they absolutely know the answer to something and totally dismiss your perception!

Depends on where the knowledge comes from. Is it gyani or vigyani?

If there ever was a confusing word, it is 'ego'...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Persephone Emerald said:
11 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Interestingly to me, that electric fan picture is reminiscent of a Chakra (the weapon, not the thing in your subtle body that connects your nadis)!

Not knowing the weapon, it actually reminds me more of a subtle body chakra, which are thought to spin.

Oops, it was Vishnu's weapon (I forgot and thought it was Shiva's). Looks like a fan, doesn't it? (This representation, at least.)

chakra.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:
9 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Ego in the Zen sense goes both ways. The other person may be assuming they're right and we're wrong, but we're also assuming that we're right and they're wrong. It might be more helpful to imagine that we are both viewing the world through our own lenses of what is "right" and "wrong". We are neither of us perfect and both of us are faulty in some ways.

But often it isn't about the topic where trouble ensues but when manipulative techniques are used to shut another one down. Like derailing a topic with off topic banter.

I think a lot of people's minds just wander -- it's not always so malicious as you're making it out to be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Ooh! Ooh! I got this!

51 is a state of matter which still undetectable.  Dark Matter!

52 is a state of completion, symbolizing the cycle of 1 year (which has 52 weeks).

Or in this case, state of confusion would be one.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Silent Mistwalker said:
11 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I can see where the woman in the example is coming from, as a vegetarian, I'm just CRAZY about vegetables! 

Sounds like you are not only a fan but are a bit fanatical about veggies yourself!

That's my point!! I'll murder those little soulless buggers and not even think twice. It's either that, or starve.

Ok, here's a list. I'm guessing Puerto Rico and the Phillipines are most likely (followed closely by the U.S. Virgin Islands).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protectorate

Includes:

District of Columbia.

American Samoa.

Guam.

Northern Mariana Islands.

Puerto Rico.

U.S. Virgin Islands.

Commonwealth of the Philippines (1935–1946)

Insular Philippines (1902–1935)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I think a lot of people's minds just wander -- it's not always so malicious as you're making it out to be.

I disagree, Quartz already pointed out Judging by the number of reports that have been submitted about particular posts in this thread, tempers seem to be becoming rather frayed.

leading me to opine that since it wasn't closed by the reports, certain people are trying a different tact to shut it down.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I disagree, Quartz already pointed out Judging by the number of reports that have been submitted about particular posts in this thread, tempers seem to be becoming rather frayed.

leading me to opine that since it wasn't closed by the reports, certain people are trying a different tact to shut it down.

It's the covert ones that repeatedly get away with it. Not the gobby ones like thee and me. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:
19 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Hmmm...well it could be some want to shut it down for some unknown reason.

I just take it to mean that some felt insulted and reported it, and that some posters have a tendency to wander off-topic, as is often the case here.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

We're getting more than a little off-topic now. Can we try to pull the thread back to "What's wrong or not wrong with being a fanboy or fangirl", specifically of Second Life, Linden Lab, Lindens and Moles?

I think one of the longer side-discussions has been that to some people / some cultures, the word "fan" itself has negative connotations.

So, from right off the bat, fanboys like me are SOL.  Guess I'm just a nutjob!

I'm a fan!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

SJW is quite the pejorative and obvious slur. I certainly hope that wasn't used in any public conversation here in the forums.

sooo, SJW is not explicitly a pejorative, SJW's were originally self proclaimed SJW's.. it has been used as one because the sort who engage in SJW-like behaviours tend to have a rules for thee and not for me attitude, hence why people turned into pejorative meant to harm... it's all about your frame of reference.. the social justice movement originated in the Atheism plus community, and people called themselves SJW long before, it were a pejorative, it's up to the interpreter to determine whether or not is a pejorative or slur.. to the people who use as a pejorative, it is meant to classify a type of individual, who wants to be a protected class, but calls it equality, again 'rules for thee, not for me', to those who used it long before it were a pejorative, it means those who stand up for social justice.. if you are offended by it, you are part of the problem.. as words are simply words and only have the meanin you assign to them.. Now,  that does not give people free pass to act like arseholes, it's just a lesson as old as time, sticks and stones may break me bones, but words will never hurt me.. words have power, only because you believe in the power they have and they gravity they carry, if you stop carin what other people think about you, it all of a sudden doesnt matter what anyone says about you.. you can call me anythin you like, i dont give a good toss one, because words are words, and i dunno you.. who are you to me?? the idea of not offendin someone is about respectin them, but that doesnt mean they should be offended by petty insults especially if it werent even directed at them.. if you recognise that person is tryin to belittle someone, that should immediately detract from their point, and plainly it's okay to disregard their point, since they want to sink to the level of insults.. but to give the insult power, by bein offended means you have surrendered control over your own emotions to someone who doesnt eeven have your emotional interest at heart, and why would you do that unless you wanted to be hurt or offended?? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I think one of the longer side-discussions has been that to some people / some cultures, the word "fan" itself has negative connotations.

I suspect that the cultures that tend to devalue emotion would not find the notion of expressing enthusiasm appealing.

7 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

For the record, I'm not trying to shut down my own thread by derailing it. I think some folks just like to wander off topic, kind of like taking the scenic route to get somewhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Persephone Emerald said:

For the record, I'm not trying to shut down my own thread by derailing it. I think some folks just like to wander off topic, kind of like taking the scenic route to get somewhere.

For my part, any intentional derail was to help apply a soothing balm to the scratches scrapes and cuts provided by the awful negativity and name-calling earlier.

I'm just sayin'! 🙂

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 337 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.