griefing protection tools

Rickhfx

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 313 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

18 answers to this question

As Alwin says, the land settings can be powerful anti-griefing tools. If you are having troubles with griefers on your parcel, then:

• Set Object Creation to group only
  • Set Object Entry to Off
  • Set Scripts to Off
  • Set Safe mode (no damage)
  • Set No Push (this does not completely disable pushes, but it makes them less powerful)
  • Set access to group only, or to yourself and a designated approved access list
  • Ban any known griefers by name (add them to the parcel ban list)
  • Set No Fly (makes it harder for griefers to get around quickly)
  • Set Teleport routing to a specific spot (keeps griefers from being able to dodge by local teleporting)
  • Set Object Return to a short time, e.g. 15 seconds.
  • Turn off avatar visibility in About Land > Options (so griefers outside your parcel can't see you. Note, this works both ways, so don't turn this off if YOU want to see THEM)

Other things you can do:

• Abuse Report each attack. If there were multiple griefers, report each one. Reference other reports in your report(s)
  • Do not respond to taunts or threats. REMAIN SILENT!
  • Mute (Block) each griefer
  • Turn off visibility of particles (CTRL_SHIFT_ALT_=)
  • If griefing objects wind up on land you don't own, send an IM to the land owner telling them where to find the object(s) so they can return them to the griefer.
  • On a private estate, contact the estate owner or a manager to report the griefing. On the Mainland, file a support case with LL and request cleanup assistance. If you're a Premium member, you can use Live Chat for a quicker response.
  • Protect yourself from graphics crashers by limiting the avatar complexity your viewer can render, in Preferences > Graphics. Anything lower than "unlimited" will be fine.
  • Set your preferences to not render media or play sounds attached to other avatars.
  • Set your movelock to make yourself harder to push around. In Firestorm, this is CTRL+ALT+P.
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Rickhfx said:

I don't own land.

On a public sim, I was stalked for 2 days and attacked, and "they" made my avatar useless by pushing me around nonstop for a whole day. I have always been exposed to a lot of anti-LGBTQ insults on SL, and threats, and now this attack.   All the attacks are pushing.

When I complained to SL, their suggestion was,  that "I" must visit the same sim frequently, which is really no help at all. 

I hope I am not going to be relegated to only the few LGBTQ sims, to avoid so much abuse.

*For the bigots,  I am not flaming,  or even talking about being LGBTQ.  My avatar does not instigate friendship, and I am always friendly.

I do have friends that wanted to friend me.

To attack someone for 15 hours nonstop is odd.

Is there any protection on SL  other than not logging on?

don't go to that place .. ( i think thát was the advice to do, not to go there more...)

LL is normally very fast in case of anti- violations of specific groups, that they don't in your case is a sign there's not a lot of proof.

Accepting a "attack"for 15 hours.. sorry but if you stay there in that case is just dumb, you'r going to win nothing.

There are thousends of regions to visit, and a big part of those are lbgti+ friendly. It's for sure not required show off to be gay ... , go out and explore for new locations where it's more fun and safer.

Lindal gave you the extended list to prevent most griefer attacks,, you could ask the owner to enable some of those to get better user experiences. But most easy thing is to find other places you like and don't look for confrontations there, they simply could be waiting for you to have their  "fun"

Edited by Alwin Alcott

46 minutes ago, Rickhfx said:

Does anyone have any ideas for anti-griefing tools?

Thanks in advanced.

tools: none, those are the same tools griefers use ( and they know mostly more about how to use it)

the only thing that can help are settings of the land if you own that.
Or with a particle attack, disable particles showing in the viewer.
For major attacks you need linden powers to stop and clean up.

3 minutes ago, Rickhfx said:

I don't own land.

On a public sim, I was stalked for 2 days and attacked, and "they" made my avatar useless by pushing me around nonstop for a whole day. I have always been exposed to a lot of anti-LGBTQ insults on SL, and threats, and now this attack.   All the attacks are pushing.

When I complained to SL, their suggestion was,  that "I" must visit the same sim frequently, which is really no help at all. 

I hope I am not going to be relegated to only the few LGBTQ sims, to avoid so much abuse.

*For the bigots,  I am not flaming,  or even talking about being LGBTQ.  My avatar does not instigate friendship, and I am always friendly.

There will always be asshats who want to spoil the enjoyment of other people. We used to have invisible shields we could wear that would cause people to bounce away from us, but the best protection was always just to sit on something and block anyone who was being verbally abusive. I wouldn't go down the eye for an eye route with any anti-griefing equipment. It's always better to put asshats and arseholes into the land of the non-existent as much as you're able to.

20 minutes ago, Rickhfx said:

Why should I need to sit when we were all dancing?

"Sitting" is the basic protection for "pushing".  There is no other protection against "pushing", really.

20 minutes ago, Rickhfx said:

I was attacked after a short time being on, I walked away from the computer to come back 15 hours later and it was still going on.  I was not the only one attacked.  They did not even manage to crash me.

Linden Lab responds to Griefing reports, but unfortunately not necessarily "real time".  If this were at a "resident run" Dance Club, I would expect the "resident run" Security to take care of the Griefers by ejecting and banning them.

I apologize, but you did not give enough information in your original post for me (I cannot speak for @Alwin Alcott) to understand the situation fully.

Yes, if you go away from your PC and come back 15 hours later, you should expect "no changes".  There are indeed no systems in place for Linden Lab to "take care of griefers". 

Griefers, unless on "Public Land" (owned by "Governor Linden" or for instance at a Linden Festival such as SL20B or the Welcome Hub) reported to Linden Lab directly, are usually taken care of by Residents.

If you are new in Second Life, you can consider this an example of "baptism by fire" - you learned something the hard way! 

I certainly didn't mean anything by my comments.  I hope you are able to take our advice and, sorry again but - lighten up a little? 

Thanks,

Love

32 minutes ago, Rickhfx said:

Jump to conclusions much?   Why should I need to sit when we were all dancing?

This happened on a Second Life Owned Sim.  Second Life had the evidence, I was not the only one.

SL allows and profits off the griefing intended programs.

I was attacked after a short time being on, I walked away from the computer to come back 15 hours later and it was still going on.  I was not the only one attacked.  They did not even manage to crash me.

It's clear some respondents here, are the same type of bigots and troublemakers I was trying to avoid.   Not a word about hate or bullying, speaks volumes guys.

"rolling my eyes"  

unfollowed 

Erik, is that you?

*rolls my eyes*

Edited by Marigold Devin
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Rickhfx said:

Unless you are sat on a pose ball, you can be grieffed and pushed about even when dancing.

If you sit on an object - like a pose ball or a chair, you are bound to that object.

17 hours ago, Rickhfx said:

File an abuse report.

Make the screenshot count.

keep it cold, calm and clear, and avoid making it look like a personal dispute.

Leave the region.

That's your lot. Sorry. It sucks.

Retaliation makes it a personal issue, or at worst, gets you banned. Don't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't own land.

This happened on a Second Life Owned Sim.  Second Life had the evidence, I was not the only one.

It's clear some respondents here, are the same type of bigots and troublemakers I was trying to avoid.   Not a word about hate or bullying, speaks volumes guys.

"rolling my eyes"  

unfollowed 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Rickhfx said:

"rolling my eyes" 

@Rickhfx, you're taking our advice the wrong way; I think you are the one jumping to conclusions. Let me take these comments in order...

• Sitting as a defense. Sometimes, you can "sit" WHILE dancing. For example, if you are dancing by means of a poseball, you ARE sitting, and are protected from pushing just as if you were sitting in a chair or on the ground. You may also be able to get some protection even while dancing by using a movelock. However, be aware that this may interfere with your dance animation, so it may not be a good choice. You'll have to try it and see.
  • "Happened on a Second Life Owned Sim". Really? You mean, an LL-owned region such as an Infohub? I hope you know you won't find any of the more popular clubs, and certainly no managers and bouncers to deal with griefers, at such places. What you DO find there are trolls, griefers, and troublemakers. There are more than 20,000 other regions to be in. Go find one of them that isn't such a wretched hive of scum and villainy.
  • "SL allows and profits off the griefing intended programs".  Yep, this is true, at least to some extent, since LL earns a commission from Marketplace sales. The thing is, Linden Lab takes the very reasonable view that it is not the device that is the problem, it's the way in which it's used. Many of the things that people use to cause annoyance are simply fun toys, when used between consenting friends. The same thing that can have you and your friends laughing uproariously can also be used by a griefer to annoy the crap out of people. Rather than take away the fun applications of such items, LL allows their sale and use...but MIS-use should be reported.
  • "I walked away from the computer to come back 15 hours later and it was still going on". First, why didn't you just log off? Second, how does this make it worse? YOU were not experiencing annoyance, you were away from your monitor. What does it matter if one pixel person keeps bumping into another pixel person if there's no one around to see it? The griefer was probably AFK too.
  • "Not a word about hate or bullying". Oh...it's SYMPATHY you want! Sorry, we misunderstood. We thought you were asking about griefing protection tools, as the title of your post indicates. OK: we're sorry that this has happened to you, and we all agree that in a perfect world, it would not. Now...use some of the tools that we've mentioned in our replies and DEAL WITH IT.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This one is beyond our help and gone, probably to start a new thread under a different but similar name. Kinda makes me remember the dude who used to stand with a signpost at one of the infohubs/welcome areas. It was everybody else's fault except his. I'm struggling with this as I've had my heart removed. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 313 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.