Motown: LL's Partnership with Capital Music, and the New User Experience

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 335 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

15 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

@Dana Enyo It looks like it was ME who said everything within the quote with my name at the top (in another post of yours too where you quote me).

I know you're new here and so don't know the best way to comment yet.  After quoting someone you need to make your comment underneath quoting someone else.

Anyway, to respond to your last post to me, maybe they will eventually include a few additional elements of the Detroit you knew/know and love -- that would be nice.

Sorry about that, and I hope I'm doing it right this time.  Meanwhile, here's an example of what someone might have done instead the GENERIC PIZZA sign. That took about 15 minutes.

230624pizzaplace_001.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Dana Enyo said:

Sorry about that, and I hope I'm doing it right this time.  Meanwhile, here's an example of what someone might have done instead the GENERIC PIZZA sign. That took about 15 minutes.

230624pizzaplace_001.png

I know what you mean. With some of the builds I've done for others part of the fun was discovering interesting facts about the place and including those (in more accurate representational builds vs fantasy ones).  I did a build about The Blues Trail coming out of Clarksdale, Mississippi, the birthplace of the Blues -- a fun roadway through the South where travelers are educated on the subject even in RL.

Now I can't say for sure that they *should* have done this in the Motown build (I'd have to know all the variables in the process in order to evaluate that)...but it could have been nice if they did.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

On 6/20/2023 at 10:47 PM, Persephone Emerald said:

It might be cool to have a history of Motown museum in the region.

Persephone, for 10 years there has been a beautiful reproduction of the HITSVILLE USA house, the original studio on West Grand Boulevard in Detroit where Motown began.  There was a Marvin Gaye museum next door. I'm using the past tense because the day the Motown sim opened, the owner received a letter requiring nearly everything in those houses to be removed due to licensing restrictions.

• Sad 7

I see people are still not allowed to have an opinion on here without someone else stating their opinion or viewpoint of something must absolutely be wrong.

Dana-I really appreciate your take on the place-especially since you do have a more real life experience with what it seems ll was making an attempt at replicating. I also appreciate the fact that you mention actual specific things-while still appreciating the place for what it is.

Please don't let the fact that you're new here too-and someone's need to constantly point that out as if it's some surprise to us-deter you from sharing your thoughts. I can speak for no one but myself-but I greatly appreciate people who don't fangirl everything ll does can see both good and bad in things and are willing to share that with the rest of us. Having never been there myself I have limited knowledge of Detroit-mostly just what one might read online or see in the news and media. It's nice seeing the perspective of people who have actually been there and have better direct knowledge. The same goes for Linda's comments as well-in particular because Linda owns the Detroit city sim so probably has far more insight than others.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Dana Enyo said:
On 6/20/2023 at 11:47 PM, Persephone Emerald said:

It might be cool to have a history of Motown museum in the region.

Persephone, for 10 years there has been a beautiful reproduction of the HITSVILLE USA house, the original studio on West Grand Boulevard in Detroit where Motown began.  There was a Marvin Gaye museum next door. I'm using the past tense because the day the Motown sim opened, the owner received a letter requiring nearly everything in those houses to be removed due to licensing restrictions.

Just wow!  What do you think happened to cause this?

4 minutes ago, Caeruleiae said:

I see people are still not allowed to have an opinion on here without someone else stating their opinion or viewpoint of something must absolutely be wrong.

This isn't a therapy group, this is a forum. This means we are free to agree or disagree with anybody else's opinion, and hopefully provide a compelling reason for said agreement or disagreement, and then a discussion ensues where people learn things about the topic (a discussion, not an argument).  This is called debate, and what makes a forum interesting -- we learn.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Caeruleiae said:

I can speak for no one but myself-but I greatly appreciate people who don't fangirl everything ll does can see both good and bad in things and are willing to share that with the rest of us.

To agree with an action LL takes is not being a fangirl. This is your projection. I have plenty of grievances with LL -- this build is simply not one of them.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

To agree with an action LL takes is not being a fangirl. This is your projection. I have plenty of grievances with LL -- this build is simply not one of them.

It is when one cannot point out the specifics of why something they did was good.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dana Enyo said:

I'm using the past tense because the day the Motown sim opened, the owner received a letter requiring nearly everything in those houses to be removed due to licensing restrictions.

Sounds like some MoTown companies sent in some spies to search for copyright and royalty violations.  Someone should tell these people that SL residents are poor, and can't possibly cause the RL owners to lose money from copyrights and royalties.   SL needs to keep these RL commercial profiteers out of SL.  Next thing they will hit is music clubs, and that will end resident entertainment in SL.  I realize some here would love that.  

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Dana Enyo said:

Yeah. This is just one reason why corporate partnerships and sponsorships are sometimes dangerous deals with the devil. They are not our "friends": they exist to make money, period.

That's just idiocy.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:
10 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

This isn't a therapy group, this is a forum.

Mmhm, ok.  Hope you don't mind if I use this quote in the future.

This is a great quote, because certain people are always trying to "find the truth" and "analyze" us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

Sounds like some MoTown companies sent in some spies to search for copyright and royalty violations.  Someone should tell these people that SL residents are poor, and can't possibly cause the RL owners to lose money from copyrights and royalties.   SL needs to keep these RL commercial profiteers out of SL.  Next thing they will hit is music clubs, and that will end resident entertainment in SL.  I realize some here would love that.  

Jay, I was thinking about that. It MIGHT (and I really don't know) be fine, because music in SL actually doesn't come thru SL. When you go to a club, you have to click the button to allow the music stream to come in from an outside server -- it never actually comes thru SL at all.  Those streaming services have their own rules, licenses, restrictions, permissions, etc.. Does this sound right to folks?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Here, here!  I am reminded of a recent poster who insisted that I absolutely MUST be a "shill for Linden Lab" because I was a supporter and was able to articulate arguments in support of LL.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• Moles

Whether or not the the Motown radio HUD or the Motown Styngs* are available in a particular country is determined not by Linden Lab but by Styngr, the company which licences the Styngs and which has agreements and licencing with Motown that determine the countries to which the tracks may be streamed.

The music is streamed from Styngr's servers, not those of Linden Lab (which is why we have to use shared media).  Styngr's servers will not stream the tracks unless the IP address to which they're being streamed is on a list of countries to which Styngr is licenced to stream them.

Linden Lab is not involved in this.

*Styngs are gesture-like sound clips, licenced by Motown, delivered by shared media, with custom animations.

• Thanks 6

2 minutes ago, Quartz Mole said:

Motown Styngs*

2 minutes ago, Quartz Mole said:

*Styngs are gesture-like sound clips, licenced by Motown, delivered by shared media, with custom animations.

This is interesting! Were the "Styngs" available in-world? I missed it!

13 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:
14 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

This isn't a therapy group, this is a forum.

Mmhm, ok.  Hope you don't mind if I use this quote in the future.

When debating a point one needs to respond to the entire message a poster is attempting to convey and not pick out one part of it and distort the message, as you have done with mine.

My entire paragraph was:

"This isn't a therapy group, this is a forum. This means we are free to agree or disagree with anybody else's opinion, and hopefully provide a compelling reason for said agreement or disagreement, and then a discussion ensues where people learn things about the topic (a discussion, not an argument).  This is called debate, and what makes a forum interesting -- we learn".

So, to elaborate further so as to increase clarity, in a therapy group we respond to the speakers feelings without interjecting our own, because the mission is to allow the speaker to come to term with their difficult feelings. (Actually, sometimes I do respond to posters on a forum in such a way if I detect they need this).
But typically, on a forum, the idea is to arrive at the truth rather than validate a distraught poster's feelings, and so we are free to disagree and interject our own ideas on various topics, as long as we don't get vicious or argue.

For example, we sometimes have people come to the forum and accuse either LL or residents of some very strange things. In no short order people typically analyze the situation and interject some truth into the accusers distortions, usually in a kind way, but sometimes not. Usually the poster realizes there were things they simply didn't understand about the way LL works, but other times they continue to blame residents or LL for their troubles and leave in a huff.

I hope this clarifies for you now the difference between a therapy group and a forum.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yeah. This is just one reason why corporate partnerships and sponsorships are sometimes dangerous deals with the devil. They are not our "friends": they exist to make money, period.

That's just idiocy.

Standard copyright and trademark procedure in the US, unfortunately. I won't get into details since I'm not an attorney and it's likely off-topic, but I'm decently familiar with the realm and yeah, I can totally see Motown and Universal Music Group trying to protect their copyrights/trademarks - even more now that they're actually linked to the platform with a "physical" (okay, virtual) presence.

Speaking of presence, I still haven't been to the sim yet. All shopped out and haven't spent much time in-world in a couple days. 😵

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Dana Enyo said:

Meanwhile, here's an example of what someone might have done instead the GENERIC PIZZA sign. That took about 15 minutes.

Thinking about this further (sorry), yes i still agree that another sign pointing to a actual favorite pizza place for Detroit natives would have been nice, but.....the problem is....how does one discover that? I mean, can you find out, for example, a favorite pizza hangout for Cleveland, Ohio residents in only15 minutes?  I'm sure it's possible, but it would take some research time indeed.

So the solution is, we need to pay the Moles much more to increase their skillsets, as they apparently are now required to be Historical Scholars.  I always thought they should get more than 10 bucks an hour, anyway.    :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

56 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

When debating a point one needs to respond to the entire message a poster is attempting to convey and not pick out one part of it and distort the message, as you have done with mine.

My entire paragraph was:

"This isn't a therapy group, this is a forum. This means we are free to agree or disagree with anybody else's opinion, and hopefully provide a compelling reason for said agreement or disagreement, and then a discussion ensues where people learn things about the topic (a discussion, not an argument).  This is called debate, and what makes a forum interesting -- we learn".

So, to elaborate further so as to increase clarity, in a therapy group we respond to the speakers feelings without interjecting our own, because the mission is to allow the speaker to come to term with their difficult feelings. (Actually, sometimes I do respond to posters on a forum in such a way if I detect they need this).
But typically, on a forum, the idea is to arrive at the truth rather than validate a distraught poster's feelings, and so we are free to disagree and interject our own ideas on various topics, as long as we don't get vicious or argue.

For example, we sometimes have people come to the forum and accuse either LL or residents of some very strange things. In no short order people typically analyze the situation and interject some truth into the accusers distortions, usually in a kind way, but sometimes not. Usually the poster realizes there were things they simply didn't understand about the way LL works, but other times they continue to blame residents or LL for their troubles and leave in a huff.

I hope this clarifies for you now the difference between a therapy group and a forum.

Wasn't really responding to anything else you said.  I just wanted to save that particular part for posterity.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Thinking about this further (sorry), yes i still agree that another sign pointing to a actual favorite pizza place for Detroit natives would have been nice, but.....the problem is....how does one discover that? I mean, can you find out, for example, a favorite pizza hangout for Cleveland, Ohio residents in only15 minutes?  I'm sure it's possible, but it would take some research time indeed.

So the solution is, we need to pay the Moles much more to increase their skillsets, as they apparently are now required to be Historical Scholars.  I always thought they should get more than 10 bucks an hour, anyway.    :)

I went to Google Maps and typed GREEKTOWN.  Looked at the street view. I could have grabbed an existing sign but decided to make one up, naming it after Greektown's main street. (With more time I'd email or call and ask them, but this was just a lark.)  Seriously, the entire process took under a half hour from the first idea to the post.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Here, here!  I am reminded of a recent poster who insisted that I absolutely MUST be a "shill for Linden Lab" because I was a supporter and was able to articulate arguments in support of LL.

To be clear, I'm a HUGE fan of Linden Labs and SL!  This whole thread is about this project being the best it can be!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dana Enyo said:

I went to Google Maps and typed GREEKTOWN.  Looked at the street view. I could have grabbed an existing sign but decided to make one up, naming it after Greektown's main street. (With more time I'd email or call and ask them, but this was just a lark.)  Seriously, the entire process took under a half hour from the first idea to the post.

Yeah I good way to see what's in an area -- Google Maps!  Hard to know which place to choose though, like what is a fav or has been there awhile -- what best represents the place.  I agree though, is better than a generic sign.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

This is interesting! Were the "Styngs" available in-world? I missed it!

Yes, L$1250 in the Motown Store, but ONLY if you're in the US or Canada (it says on the vendors but not on the signs out in the parking lot.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 335 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.