Coding help

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 329 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The same method works almost everywhere in the viewer:

[<url> title], for example [http://google.com my webzone] would get you a clickable "my webzone" link to Google. You can't see it as clickable yourself, though, since you have to be able to edit it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Pardon my ignorance, but what does the URL tell about me? In case I want to hide it.

Does it show my location? Where I live?And if I go on vacation and log in, it show me in that new location? Or that me and my alts have the same URL?

Because if it does, I do not like it.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

Pardon my ignorance, but what does the URL tell about me? In case I want to hide it.

Does it show my location? Where I live?And if I go on vacation and log in, it show me in that new location? Or that me and my alts have the same URL?

Nothing, but I believe that's not the point. The OP just wanted to show a text link, instead of a URL. A text link is more informative.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

What the URL says is totally up to what you put in it. If you wanted to reveal all those things, you could set it all out on a web page you designed and then use its location (URL) as a link in your profile. But it would be a bit of work to set all that up, definitely not something that would happen by accident.

I guess you probably are thinking of an IP address from which your viewer is connecting. With a bunch more work, you could use this to do the opposite: you could collect the IP address of folks who follow such a profile URL that links to your page, and then learn stuff about them. In fact, collecting such data in aggregate is a very common thing hosting platforms offer, so you can know if most of your blog visitors (for example) come from the US, Europe, Asia, etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marianne Little said:

If you click on any link on the web you actually request the page/resource at the other end to be sent to you at your IP address. That's what links do. In doing that, you send your IP address, which can have some indication as to where you are in the world. You also send details of the browser/system you are using, and the resource (webpage) that the link you clicked is on.

That's the same with every link you click anywhere on the web. Clicking a link in an SL profile is no different, so there is no reason not to like it.

Some URLs add some data to tell the other end who is responsible for the link, so that that person can get credit for it. It is often done when affiliates get money for everyone they send, or when those who clicked on the link buy something at the other end. E.g. the link URL www.url.com?data=xyz1234 could tell the other end that agent xyz1234 sent the person from his/her website, ad, or wherever, so that the other end would give him/her money. Or it could tell the other end exactly what to send back.

Probably most link URLs on the web have additional stuff after the .com part, but there is no need to be concerned. Mostly it's nothing to do with afilliates, but, if it is, be happy that someone gets a little something because of your interest in the other end. In pre-SL days, I made huge amounts of money as an affiliate of Google and of a hotels site.

To sum up, don't be concerned about what' can be learned about you by you clicking on a link (URL). Even spam or fishing links can't learn anything more about you - except that you may be a bit gullible, of course lol.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

Some URLs add some data to tell the other end who is responsible for the link,

Right. Marianne mentioned alts, and (as you know, Phil) this is how the "alt discovery" process worked when RedZone got into so much trouble: when a resident's machine connected to a special parcel media stream, that stream's URL also contained the resident's SL identity, so in addition to conveying their IP address (as all connections do) it also revealed which SL account was at that IP address, as additional data appended to the URL.

In the scenario of this thread, no such association is possible because the URL is static inside the profile, with no way for it to be augmented with the identity of whichever resident is browsing that profile…

… assuming it's a valid viewer. Once upon a time there was a viewer that tracked which resident browsed which other resident's profile, and revealed that to the "browsed" resident. IIRC it was direct messaging involving no URLs nor IP addresses in the creation of oh so much drama you cannot imagine.

• Like 2

Just to add to the fun... as to one's IP address potentially informing others where you are in the world, that's not as simple as some might think and can go very wrong. The term is "geolocation" and there are companies that keep databases of where every IP address 'belongs' in the world so that they can sell the information. They are not always correct. You can look up which company owns your public IP address (your or anyone's ISP) and where they are, but that does not mean that the IP address itself is used in that region of the world. Hence the databases - that go wrong. For example:

A few years ago I noticed a lot of websites I visited were blocking me. I would either get a blank page, or it would never load at all, or some of them gave an actual error page of a few lines of text saying I had been blocked because I was a threat. Some were very big companies that I was trying to make purchases from.

It took over a month of investigation to find out why. The company responsible for actually blocking me in their firewall product (used by all the sites that were therefore blocking me) was Cloudflare. Despite numerous attempts to contact Cloudflare and get the problem solved, I got nowhere. Totally useless company and outrageous that they can, at their whim, arbitrarily block someone from a large part of the internet.

Further digging (and feeding the webservers some error reporting code to get them to regurgitate more informative error messages themselves) revealed that I was being blocked due to my location: Russia!

I was not in Russia. I was in England. My public IP subnet was assigned from a server in London. The company that owned the IP address block was in the USA. They had no connection to Russia whatsoever, but some stupid geolocation company used by Cloudflare had got the location wrong in their database. Not just for me, but for a block of 262,000 IP addresses!

Even when informed of that repeatedly in every way I could find to do so, Cloudflare's only response was the standard, automated "we got your message - it is important to us - blah blah blah". Nothing else.

Finally I found which geolocation company was involved, contacted them directly, had to provide proof of what I was saying (no way would they actually check themselves), and two weeks later I could finally access the whole internet again. At least they bothered to answer me and do something, eventually.

I wonder what would have happened had I not been so network-savvy?

Wow - that turned into an essay, didn't it? It all really annoyed me, lol. Can you tell?

/rant

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@PandaBrennanI thought it was more behind it than just wanting to display something there.

I had a vague memory of the URL used with the RedZone many years ago. As @Qie Niangaoalready explained. I remembered "RedZone" but not anything technical. I am not skilled on coding and tech.

I also mixed up URL with the IP address. I have noticed that there is something in the "wonderful" world of tech that send me ads with "Special offer for those who live in xxx". I found out it is the location of the company who own the IP server. Not Russia like @Rick Nightingale's location!

I don't worry now. 😅

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marianne Little said:

@PandaBrennanI thought it was more behind it than just wanting to display something there.

I had a vague memory of the URL used with the RedZone many years ago. As @Qie Niangaoalready explained. I remembered "RedZone" but not anything technical. I am not skilled on coding and tech.

I also mixed up URL with the IP address. I have noticed that there is something in the "wonderful" world of tech that send me ads with "Special offer for those who live in xxx". I found out it is the location of the company who own the IP server. Not Russia like @Rick Nightingale's location!

I don't worry now. 😅

It's honestly okay. It's good to ask. And we learn new things everyday 🙂

I stopped earning money as an affiliate quite a few years ago, but I did use profile links for search ranking purposes, also quite a few years ago, and this thread brought something to mind that I hadn't thought of before - using affiliate links in profiles. I won't do it as I'm not an affiliate of anything any more, but I bet it's being done by a few enterprising people :)

On 6/7/2023 at 3:36 AM, Marianne Little said:

Literally nothing. URL = Uniform Resource Locator, this is the information that defines where on the Internet a resource resides. It is a pointer, like a note in a book's bibliography.

We may be able to infer information about you by what you point to. But there is nothing in a URL you post other than what you put in it.

[ ] codes are generally referred to as forum markup or codes and aka BBC, bulletin board code. The actual URL will look like this:

https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/500082-coding-help/

The https: tells the computer to use a specific protocol for communication.

The //community.secondlife.com tells the computer which computer the resource is on. There is a huge Domain Look-Up System that keeps track of every computer on the Internet that hosts resources. The .com section of the system knows about the computers named SecondLife. The SL computer knows about the community computers that host this forum resource. Those computers interpret the rest of the URL.

The /forums/topic/500082-coding-help/ is pointing to the folder (forums) and the subfolder (topic) and another folder (500082-coding-help) that contains the resource. This is a forum and there is some behind-the-scenes server magic happening to get to the resource so this page's URL is atypical.

And usually, there is a resource name like: wonderfulpage.html

In the forum and places in the viewer, we use [ ] BBC notation to create a LINK. So as previously pointed out [URL (single space here) description] creates a clickable link like this: description (this one deliberately does not work).

So the link points to a resource and contains no information about where it came from, other than where you find the link. So because you see a link in my post you can deduce I created the link or copied it from somewhere and pasted it here. But none of that deduced information is in the link.

Edited by Nalates Urriah
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

So the link points to a resource and contains no information about where it came from, other than .

That's not accurate. The server that is pointed to (the other end) is told the IP address of the computer that is used to click on the link, and also details about the browser that the person is using, as well as "where you find the link". Clicking on any link anywhere provides that information. It's standard.

11 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

That's not accurate. The server that is pointed to (the other end) is told the IP address of the computer that is used to click on the link, and also details about the browser that the person is using, as well as "where you find the link". Clicking on any link anywhere provides that information. It's standard.

Yeah, I'm not sure of the context here though. Merely opening a profile that contains a URL doesn't send any information at all to the URL-linked server, but clicking that link does. (The "In case I want to hide it" had me so confused about context that I initially thought the concern was about what's revealed by merely including a URL in the profile, and Nalates is also responding about information "in a URL you post".)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Qie Niangao said:

Yeah, I'm not sure of the context here though. Merely opening a profile that contains a URL doesn't send any information at all to the URL-linked server, but clicking that link does. (The "In case I want to hide it" had me so confused about context that I initially thought the concern was about what's revealed by merely including a URL in the profile, and Nalates is also responding about information "in a URL you post".)

Ok. I was thinking about earlier posts that mentioned the information that is sent to the other end when a link is clicked on.

Thank you all for this insight and I am truely learning alot. Really thank you. But all it was simply was HTML code to put into my profile to link to a song on Youtube so the full link was not seen. I just wanted my profile to look a little tidy lol. AND i THOUGHT IT WAS JUST MORE tidy to have a title that the person click and the song page came up. But it's actually really interesting what has been said.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

True, that information CAN be sent. But it is not part of the link. The browser and network interface are including that information in the data packet and software on the receiving end is unpacking that info on the server side. So if the link is clicked on from inside an incognito window or one is using a VPN different info is received from clicking on the same link.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 329 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.