Your mobile Second Life expectations and demands

Glaznah Gassner

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 276 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I would like to ask what are the mobile features you expect most of all? Not related to any viewer, just what you personally want to do on mobile.

Few options to choose from follow, feel free to copy, rearrange or add your own.
Multiple options can be selected indeed:

1. Be able to react on IMs and group chats as fast as possible
  2. Use mobile viewer as a messenger app
  3. Stay online so avatar stays in a specific location (store, home)
  4. Build, adjust or edit in-world objects (or even edit LSL scripts)
  5. Travel in Second Life from mobile, visit various locations

I believe this short survey could be helpful for all SL creators and developers. And may be determine new ways of mobile SL experience! 🤓

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1. Build, adjust or edit in-world objects (or even edit LSL scripts) + touching attachments like huds etc
  2. Use mobile viewer as a messenger app
  3. Stay online so avatar stays in a specific location (store, home)
  4. Travel in Second Life from mobile, visit various locations
  5. Be able to react on IMs and group chats as fast as possible ♥
  • Like 1

1. The ability to edit profile. 
2. In world voice. 

I love all of the above options too but honestly I find all the messaging abilities already really easy to use. Moving around is really easy too… sometimes I struggle to see my avi from front view which would be nice. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, anomaly Mellow said:

2. In world voice. 

Oh, voice! I forgot about the voice. It is very important.

Second Life uses an extremely complicated approach. However, we have some ideas how to make it working, trying to develop a working prototype.

• Thanks 4

The biggest improvement to my SL experience has been... Discord bots.

For example, the group "Builder's Brewery" has an official bot relaying messages between the SL group chat and Discord. This means I don't have to be online to read back on what's been talked about in the group.

This is to say... "persistence of social interaction" has become the most important thing for me. It really sucks that you miss out on literally everything that happens in-world unless you're actively logged in right there and then. Speedlight is good at that, since it can keep the avatar online (and able to receive group messages) even when my device is off.

And of course as a scripter, being able to update/run scripts is a very important feature.

I also really want better tools for managing the avatar's inventory... I know Catznip has some progress in that area, but it's been a while.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1. Accurate visual representation of mesh objects and avatars.

2. Ability to interact with in-world objects and avatar attachments, including HUDS.

3. Support for audio media streams

4. Integration with third-party password managers, like 1Password and similar cross-platform offerings.

5. Enhanced camera control, with basic and photographer modes.

Edited by tachikomastachikomastachikomas
Auto-correct error
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1-2 

I’d expect to be able to be able to read notecards posted to a group when I’m on the go. Simple thing but still not possible.

That aside, useful things would be things like being able to pay rent (person to person, person to boxes) - time sensitive issues like that where accomplishing on-the-go would be valuable.

The features some ask for (LSL editing, better 3d etc.); I’d use a full client for. LSL development and testing doesn’t feel like an on on-the-go/mobile device activity.

But then - what is the aim? Is the aim feature parity with the full client or developing something useful for bridging some gaps when unable to use the full client?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, uk27812 said:

The features some ask for (LSL editing, better 3d etc.); I’d use a full client for. LSL development and testing doesn’t feel like an on on-the-go/mobile device activity.

The benefit of mobile clients (such as Speedlight) is that you could run them in the browser without having to install anything. You get a quick, light-weight viewer that can be used on any desktop computer, even ones with poor hardware (laptop/chromebook) or ones where you don't want to or can't install a full viewer.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Thanks 1

1. Accurate visuals compared to PC viewers with high quality settings.

2. Smooth movement controls.

3. Camera controls.

4. Drop down/drop in windows with IMs and local chat. Flashing as a notification signal. (see below)

image.png.a046d3d8d568008c3583e0cc07905d69.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful graphics, easy movement, teleport, voice & sound, easy gamma correction for iOS devices if needed (still wondering how that will work, but I hope it’s preset-easy), click-ability for things that do stuff. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

1. Fast avatar loading.
2. Ability to interact with world objects and avatar attachments, including HUD
3. Create, configure or edit internal objects
4. Travel in Second Life from a mobile phone, visit different places
(including the possibility to play - fishing, hunting, gathering, etc.)
5. Easy interface for editing and teleportation.😘

I'm sure that if you take all the suggestions from this thread you'll end up with the mobile viewer having more features than the desktop experience!

Personally, I use the mobile to stay in touch with people, even on long boring flights.  Communication is key.

1) IMs & group chat
2) Avatar to Avatar voice would be great
3) To be honest, for me, the graphics are totally secondary as I'd use my PC if I want to be immersed rather than turning my phone into a glowing hot brick.  Also, being able to optionally disable graphics would be nice to save on data usage

From experience of using Lumiya and the likes, it would be nice to have a simple method of sitting on things close by without resorting to full graphics - just so you're not standing at home like a total lemon!

Enola's point about using HUDs is also essential for those times when you're not graphical but your wife tells you you have no legs............

In short, the beta testing and release can't come soon enough ;-)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 276 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.