Seen: Streetlights and Road Barriers

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 345 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I left my home region to test something, and saw "Street Lights" and "Safety Barriers" on a Protected land road.  (One or the other was created by Abnor Mole!)

Is this common?  I have not seen either "streetlights shining from below", or road "Lane" barriers before.

The "safety barriers" are actual obstacles, you can only cross the road in barrier gaps unless you jump over.  

At first, I thought this was Resident-created stuff that they managed to get into the Protected roadway.

Edited to Add:  The "Safety Barriers" are because the Region crossing is in the middle of the road!

Streetlights and Safety Barriers_001.png

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 3

I haven't spent enough time in Kama City (northwest Zindra) to know what's normal, but I'd assumed that's how traffic lights there work.  I'm surprised they're actual barriers; the region borders tend to be in the middle of the road, so if someone switched lanes to avoid a barrier then switched back again they sometimes might experience problems.

Makes me think of a running joke in an old comedy sketch show.  The punchline was always "Well don't DO that!"

Edited by LibGwen
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, LibGwen said:

I'm surprised they're actual barriers; the region borders tend to be in the middle of the road, so if someone switched lanes to avoid a barrier then switched back again they sometimes might experience problems.

My thought was, they prevent head-on collisions but encourage driving at dangerous speeds. There are no barriers on either side of the road though, so you could still drive off the road into a business or home!

They're in Kama City and nowhere else, as far as I know. I think the traffic lights were supposed to be in-theme with "futuristic" Zindra. The lane barriers at intersections I thought were there because crossing the centerline meant a region crossing which would be especially deadly at an intersection.

Pretty sure I've gotten hung up on those barriers and pulled across the line more times than they've kept me from drifting across.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'll have to go back and verify one day, that the "center-of-road" barriers are indeed at Region crossings!  That makes sense if so.

To clarify: The "traffic lights" themselves are phantom (pretty sure I checked) although they are like Prim "ramps" that go up/down/change colors.

• Like 1

Those lights and lane barriers only exist in and around Kama City in Zindra they've been there since Zindra opened in 2009, the texture used on the barrier was a very popular design in the 00's. I've never seen anything like that on the other mainland continents 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Yeah .. they did this on Zindra as someone decided that having roads with the region border down the center divide was a good idea.

We all pointed this out at the time, but as with most everything LL do, once the die is cast then there can be no changes to the plan, no matter how absurd the original plan was.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

The lane barriers at intersections I thought were there because crossing the centerline meant a region crossing which would be especially deadly at an intersection.

Confirmed!

47 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Yeah .. they did this on Zindra as someone decided that having roads with the region border down the center divide was a good idea.

Yesh..I hope the folks who got parcels on those roads paid less.

Without "bad ideas", there would be nothing to compare "good ideas" against! There would just be "ideas"!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Without "bad ideas", there would be nothing to compare "good ideas" against! There would just be "ideas"!

I don't think we need to explore the bad ideas or keep them around, this one was hot garbage to anyone who might have rezzed a vehicle, you know, once.

Incidentally, the second worst roads in SL are super close to Zindra! Horizons roads are built exactly up to the region border and no further, so at crossing time you drive off a cliff just as the hand over happens, only to get bumped back up by the receiving region a second later (sometimes this might orbit you, good luck!). The fix would be to place some hidden prims as is done everywhere else. I reported it, some moles and a linden came out and walked up and down a few times .. and correcting the issue was deemed not actionable. Probably because someone would need to travel about and place a few hundred prims. I even offered to put the time in myself for free ... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Incidentally, the second worst roads in SL are super close to Zindra! Horizons roads are built exactly up to the region border and no further, so at crossing time you drive off a cliff just as the hand over happens, only to get bumped back up by the receiving region a second later (sometimes this might orbit you, good luck!). 

Maybe is "Bonus Feature", for to make Horizons land owners feel extra special!

3 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

and correcting the issue was deemed not actionable. Probably because someone would need to travel about and place a few hundred prims.

It's been my experience that anything that requires significant skill and/or effort is beyond the scope of LL and "not actionable". Sometimes it really is almost as if we're on maintenance mode around here.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

It's been my experience that anything that requires significant skill and/or effort is beyond the scope of LL and "not actionable". Sometimes it really is almost as if we're on maintenance mode around here.

It seems to depend on how out of favor the project has become. Zindra for example.

By the time they opened Zindra, it was pretty clear the higher ranks had exhausted whatever enthusiasm they had at the start of the undertaking. They let Blondin Linden hold a long series of meetings, presumably to retain at minimal cost the positive impact of virtual pr0n on the SL economy. And he managed to get some stuff done and more set in motion before everything ground to a halt. (See for example the half-completed Mole extravaganza on Mosh South, the region formerly called —incomprehensibly—"Zindra".)

Originally, Zindra was actually a pretty ambitious project. There are a lot of specific builds and infrastructure (including a monorail), and a batch of prefabs and component content for resident use. (All prim, of course, but that was still state of the art in those days.)

It's only later, after we moved in and started perving-up the place that Lindens lost interest.

All that said, no amount of tweaking could really fix the fundamental design flaw of putting the roads astride the region borders. In Horizons probably more improvement was possible, given slightly less doomed geometry, but I don't know that history at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Originally, Zindra was actually a pretty ambitious project. There are a lot of specific builds and infrastructure (including a monorail), and a batch of prefabs and component content for resident use. (All prim, of course, but that was still state of the art in those days.)

i need to tour the place one of these days!

9 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

i need to tour the place one of these days!

There's one surviving link in the wiki that offers a few very top-level links.

The original blog post had more about the "Green Living for the Future" theme and how it developed. Successive re-hostings of the Lindens' blog have lost (or hidden?) lots of historical content, but archives of an archive can be found on the Wayback Machine.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

There's one surviving link in the wiki that offers a few very top-level links.

The original blog post had more about the "Green Living for the Future" theme and how it developed. Successive re-hostings of the Lindens' blog have lost (or hidden?) lots of historical content, but archives of an archive can be found on the Wayback Machine.

I visited the Kama Park, that was enough excitement for me..soccer field, dog park / shrub maze a 3-year old couldn't get lost in..

https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Mosh/127/21/25/

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 345 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.