Are You a Normie or a Non-Normie in SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 433 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

21 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Elise, this is so easy.

You admit that you weren't aware of the fuller connotations of the word when you used it, and that you wouldn't have chosen it had you known these. No one is going to hate you or think you're "stupid" if you admit a mistake. We all make them, no?

Then you say, "this is what I meant . . ." and the conversation moves on constructively.

Which is surely the point of this OP?

No, first off, I've been saying it's a slang word, so I thought it not fully defined.

Then, look at what I copy and pasted to you...it seems it's saying what's highlighted in blue is what's fully known about the word, and then it says OR and another meaning attached which is not highlighted.  

But still, I thought this was a slang word, meaning not fully formed yet.  It looks that way with the blue highlighting and the OR.  How can a word have one meaning or another which to me it was almost saying the or was a maybe (not sure).

The term normie has emerged as both a noun and an adjective referring to one whose tastes, lifestyle, habits, and attitude are mainstream and far from the cutting edge, or a person who is otherwise not notable or remarkable.

Edited by EliseAnne85

14 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

But still, I thought this was a slang word, meaning not fully formed yet.  It looks that way with the blue highlighting and the OR.  How can a word have one meaning or another which to me it was almost saying the or was a maybe (not sure).

The term normie has emerged as both a noun and an adjective referring to one whose tastes, lifestyle, habits, and attitude are mainstream and far from the cutting edge, or a person who is otherwise not notable or remarkable.

"Elise is neither notable nor remarkable. She's very mainstream, actually. Not cutting-edge at all."

Yep, nothing insulting or pejorative at all about that description of you, right?

Now, seeing as you seem incapable of acknowledging the connotations of the word you've chosen to use, even in the face of an avalanche of evidence as to its negative meanings, I'm out of this thread, as I don't believe a worthwhile conversation is possible with someone knowingly employing it.

/me shrugs

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

Scroll down to the rest of that definition for full context. I believe it also links out to KnowYourMeme.

Words can take on different meanings in different online communities. That's definitely one of them with a history.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

"Elise is neither notable nor remarkable. She's very mainstream, actually. Not cutting-edge at all."

Well, if a critic saw my art and said that, it's happened before to artists, songwriters, screenwriters, authors, the list goes on.  As an artist, they take their lumps.

But, you don't say that to an average person.  

However, when Rowan said she answered someone "How 4chan of you" and the person must have called her a "normie".  I'm not sure what she said to make a person call her a normie.  Plus, I thought people were using normie on SL to mean the difference in avatars, not what people said or thought.  

Anyhow, with this response, perhaps SL should flag the word on the forum so other's know not to use it.

13 minutes ago, Gwin LeShelle said:

HA! so you see yourself not as an average person? Maybe you started this thread, so we all can applaud your artsy edgyness and it ...poor you...exploded in your face?

btw having shaved ice at 6 am is normal? asking for a friend :3

No, I never said that.  We are all the average SL users.  

You are really working to get this thread shut down.  And, honestly, I'm lost when this word has been used on SL forums.  

So, kitty pictures away....

And, to live and view things outside the norm was a large part of my real life and my generation.  

Edited by EliseAnne85

5 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

No, I never said that.  We are all the average SL users.  

You are really working to get this thread shut down.  And, honestly, I'm lost when this word has been used on SL forums.  

Are you new to this? You post an insulting/something many might not agree with thread. And really wonder that it goes this way? Now you act all lost about it either? When you started this thread you didn't seem so shy and lost about the word. I guess someone got more than what they asked for. And instead of being all grownup and saying "whoops I should have read further, sorry!" you still bang on about it. Thats boring.

But here I will delete my answers so your fine thread won't get closed ;) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Scroll down to the rest of that definition for full context. I believe it also links out to KnowYourMeme.

Words can take on different meanings in different online communities. That's definitely one of them with a history.

But that isn't this community so irrelevant except to the minority who might frequent it and have not accepted that they are a "normie". Once one accepts a label that is pertinent then it is no longer insulting but a simple statement of fact.

46 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Scroll down to the rest of that definition for full context.

Scroll where?

Can you put a link? 

I don't have any scroll to KnowYourMeme where I got that definition from that I pasted above.  

21 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

But that isn't this community so irrelevant except to the minority who might frequent it and have not accepted that they are a "normie". Once one accepts a label that is pertinent then it is no longer insulting but a simple statement of fact.

Well, I brought up the Aristocracy and the Bohemians which have been around for centuries and those defining words were not insults but rather describing a way of life or approach to something or whatever.  

But, if this word has this much problem here, it should be flagged because I did not make this thread to make waves and I've already explained myself enough.  I thought it was a new word.  I was surprised it's been a slang word since 2010.  I've only seen the word here and then on Twitter recently and that's it.  

And, in the hippie days it was the establishment versus the anti-establishment.  Different approaches to things.  

But, I don't think we need to keep going around and around about it.  It obviously has meaning that is not a worthy discussion.  

Edited by EliseAnne85

14 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

Scroll where?

Can you put a link? 

I don't have any scroll to KnowYourMeme where I got that definition from that I pasted above.  

The page where you got that definition that I quoted - I think that's Merriam-Webster's definition. I was just saying there's more info on that page about its origins.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/words-were-watching-normie-normcore

As for SL, I've never actually heard (seen) the term used in there at all. Seen it a few times in news sharing circles on social media, but even then, I don't use it.

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

..because we are nice people!

I think so too...so maybe the word should be flagged if it brings up bad connotations.  I don't want to read 4chan or chase down old stuff that happened on the internet.  I'll just take all of your word for it.  But, the word is currently making it's way around.  

Normie:  From the link Ayashe posted right above your post.  

People have been increasingly using the word normie as a noun and an adjective to describe someone whose tastes, habits, lifestyle, etc. are mainstream or otherwise unremarkable. It was formed using the English adjective normal and the diminutive suffix -ie.

8 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

But, I don't think we need to keep going around and around about it.  It obviously has meaning that is not a worthy discussion.  

I thought your OP and defining of a normie within SL, well elucidated but then dragged off-topic by usual suspects to find fault through hair splitting definitions.

8 hours ago, EliseAnne85 said:

Does SL allow you to be more of a non-normie?   And, perhaps, to explore parts of yourself you'd otherwise avoid if it weren't for SL?  Or, are you just the same as you are in RL as you are in SL?  

Anyhow, I've seen some posts recently on social media about normie's and non-normies and wondered if you feel you fit into either one of those definitions?  And, can you explain to me a little about what is a normie and a non-normie to you?  

I was wondering if you feel this whole normie/non-normie thing is just a fad for the younger generation, or is it a real thing?  Or, even - has it always been a thing - to be different?  

Write whatever you want about the subject.  It doesn't have to involve my questions.  

Let's use this basic definition of what a Normie is:

What is a normie? Normie is a slang for a “normal person,” especially someone seen to have conventional, mainstream tastes, interests, viewpoints, etc

No, I don't feel it is a younger generation thing only as I certainly don't classify myself within that group any longer and yet I RP and  follow lifestyles in-world which are certainly not mainstream in our "enlightened" real world society. And yet at least considering the groups and clubs I attend, I am not that far out of the norm by SL standards.

• Like 1

Things a Normie might do in Second Life:

- Buy a micro-parcel 

- Put politics in their profile "picks"

- Brag that "their group doesn't do [whatever bad thing is being discussed]"

I hope these are convincing examples of how "Normie" can be used as a pejorative. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Elise, this is so easy.

You admit that you weren't aware of the fuller connotations of the word when you used it, and that you wouldn't have chosen it had you known these. No one is going to hate you or think you're "stupid" if you admit a mistake. We all make them, no?

Then you say, "this is what I meant . . ." and the conversation moves on constructively.

Which is surely the point of this OP?

That'll never happen so I'm out, too.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Things a Normie might do in Second Life:

- Buy a micro-parcel 

- Put politics in their profile "picks"

- Brag that "their group doesn't do [whatever bad thing is being discussed]"

I hope these are convincing examples of how "Normie" can be used as a pejorative. 

I never said I was not convinced.  What I said I was above your post and that I will take ya'lls word for it rather than chase down old internet stuff. 

I said perhaps SL should flag the word.  

Edited by EliseAnne85

And just to explain, not excuse, my bitterness today about this post...I work at a pediatric oncology clinic in RL and 3 kids did not make it this week, and I come to the forums at nights when I can not sleep ...when the thoughts are too loud, and you find such posts here.

Posts made to divide, and it was nothing else, and it just triggered me in the wrong way. Next time I should just not feed the trolls.

With this said, I'm out here too.

Edited by Gwin LeShelle
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 433 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.