Pay and then pay again?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 454 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, Flower Caerndow said:

And remember if you leave some of your land and the amount owned goes below 8192m then you need to manually adjust your tier level, it is not done automatically.  I got caught on that more than once until I figured it out.

That doesn't sound right - abandoning land should result in LL just charging you for the "next lower tier".  That is why people "abandon land"!

It may not sound right, but it is. I was caught with it too. I abandoned all my land, but my tier didn't go down to zero, so so I was still paying it. I caught it after I'd paid a month when I didn't have any land, and thought I therefore wouldn't be charged tier.

Remember that you pay LL for the amount of land you can own (tier), and not for actual land.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

That doesn't sound right - abandoning land should result in LL just charging you for the "next lower tier".  That is why people "abandon land"!

She’s right though. If you have say a 8192 parcel and decide to downsize to a 4096, you would have to go in and manually set your tier to 4096. Unless a linden notices and lowers it for you. If you don’t, you will be changed for 8192 the next billing cycle.

I still want to know: Why would you pay tier on 15k+ sqm of land then turn around and rent a 1024 parcel from someone else?

• Like 2

I'm sure you are both right, and I had to do it before too.  It's been years though 🙂 

"Funny" (ha-ha) that LL makes it easy to BUY land and increase your "Tier" (with just a warning when you buy land), but you have to do that extra step to go DOWN.

One of the many benefits to Premium Plus. (2048 is covered, whether or not I use it.)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

She’s right though. If you have say a 8192 parcel and decide to downsize to a 4096, you would have to go in and manually set your tier to 4096. Unless a linden notices and lowers it for you. If you don’t, you will be changed for 8192 the next billing cycle.

Actually this was changed a while back. You are only charged the maximum amount of tier you actually used in a given month. if you downgrade from 8192 to 4096 say, 2 days before your billing date, 2 days later you will pay for the 8192, and then a month after that you'll only pay for the 4096 if you don't get any more land.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Phil Deakins said:

It may not sound right, but it is. I was caught with it too. I abandoned all my land, but my tier didn't go down to zero, so so I was still paying it. I caught it after I'd paid a month when I didn't have any land, and thought I therefore wouldn't be charged tier.

Remember that you pay LL for the amount of land you can own (tier), and not for actual land.

That used to be the case.  They no longer charge you (excdpt.for.current month) if you don't adjust your tier level.

(You may remain at the higher tier level without penalty; tier fees are only charged for the total amount of land actually held within your billing cycle.)   

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Quistess Alpha said:

Actually this was changed a while back. You are only charged the maximum amount of tier you actually used in a given month. if you downgrade from 8192 to 4096 say, 2 days before your billing date, 2 days later you will pay for the 8192, and then a month after that you'll only pay for the 4096 if you don't get any more land.

It is good if they changed that!  But not sure if I dare to test it intentionally, but probably will someday by mistake...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Quistess Alpha said:

Good to know it’s automatic now!

• Like 2

On 4/3/2023 at 8:16 PM, Cate Foulsbane said:

I don't want to put the name/location into such a public place....but it is private region. My landlord pays a company for the A land and then he divides the A land into B parcels. I pay my landlord monthly tier for my B parcel. I also have quite a bit of mainland land and pay LL tier for the sq m's. I get 1024 free (Linden home) from LL but that isn't counted in my total mainland tier. What IS counted, and which boggles my mind, is my B parcel on PRIVATE land for which I pay a monthly tier. I pay tier to LL for mainland sq m's and I pay LL for PRIVATE sq m's. I don't get it.

To paraphrase Inigo Montoya, "You keep seeing that tier. I do not think it means what you think it means."

What you think is happening is not what is actually happening.

Go to Buy Land on your Dashboard page. Choose My Mainland from the drop down. You will see your Linden Home parcel and any other Mainland parcels you own. These are the Mainland parcels you are paying tier on (although your Premium tier bonus may mean you are not actually getting charged for some of it, 1024 for Premium or 2048 for Premium+.)

Now go to the Group Land option in the drop down. You will see a list of all your groups, and how much tier, if any, you are donating to each of them. This donated tier, plus the Mainland you hold directly (the above paragraph) is the total square meters you're being charged tier for.

As a check on the above, look at the Land Use Fees drop down option. You should see here "square meters owned", the Mainland parcels you hold under your own name, and "square meters donated", the tier you have donated to support group-owned Mainland, as well as your "Premium bonus in square meters", the discount you get for your Premium membership. You'll also see "available square meters". This is simply the tier level you have authorized, i.e. the maximum amount of Mainland you can hold without jumping up to the next tier.

Any private estate parcels won't be shown. Having a private estate parcel, whether you call it "buying", "renting", or "leasing", is a person to person transaction outside of LL's tier system. You pay the estate owner a weekly or monthly fee in $L.

EDIT: On re-reading the above it sounds sort of snotty and superior and all-knowing in tone. I don't mean it that way. If you're seeing something other than what I described, get in touch with me privately.

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This has been a very useful thread! Thank you to everyone who has pitched in with information!

It's sort of confirmed (for no particular reason) my sense that I like owning my own Mainland rather than renting, and I'm considering now upping my tier level (or taking my alt, Laskya, to Premium) and buying more. I've been daydreaming about building a nice, largish garden, or a hobby farm. Maybe I should.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I suspect that the term "tier" is just being conflated with "paying somebody for land".  Rollig Loon did a great job of explaining it in an earlier post in this thread.

I hear people do that inworld all the time. It’s like « I have to pay tier » when you ask where they live it’s Sassy Rental Estates.

Someone also mentioned a bug. That got glossed over, and nobody really confirmed the bug. I think that has something to do with it too.

4 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

To paraphrase Inigo Montoya, "You keep seeing that tier. I do not think it means what you think it means."

What you think is happening is not what is actually happening.

Go to Buy Land on your Dashboard page. Choose My Mainland from the drop down. You will see your Linden Home parcel and any other Mainland parcels you own. These are the Mainland parcels you are paying tier on (although your Premium tier bonus may mean you are not actually getting charged for some of it, 1024 for Premium or 2048 for Premium+.)

Now go to the Group Land option in the drop down. You will see a list of all your groups, and how much tier, if any, you are donating to each of them. This donated tier, plus the Mainland you hold directly (the above paragraph) is the total square meters you're being charged tier for.

As a check on the above, look at the Land Use Fees drop down option. You should see here "square meters owned", the Mainland parcels you hold under your own name, and "square meters donated", the tier you have donated to support group-owned Mainland, as well as your "Premium bonus in square meters", the discount you get for your Premium membership. You'll also see "available square meters". This is simply the tier level you have authorized, i.e. the maximum amount of Mainland you can hold without jumping up to the next tier.

Any private estate parcels won't be shown. Having a private estate parcel, whether you call it "buying", "renting", or "leasing", is a person to person transaction outside of LL's tier system. You pay the estate owner a weekly or monthly fee in $L.

EDIT: On re-reading the above it sounds sort of snotty and superior and all-knowing in tone. I don't mean it that way. If you're seeing something other than what I described, get in touch with me privately.

I finally got to talk to my accountant and, among other things,, he pointed out that my addition was off...it's 11 something,,not 1024. He could feel a high blood pressure moment approaching so told me to take screen shots of everything..every thing!..and send to him. He will devote part of his vacation time figuring it out and then explaining to me. He did threaten to call on Saint Linden to help him, but that is NOT a good idea.  Anyway, you have made such good clear sense..and for me that is a miracle!..that I can probably figure it out on  my own. Not snotty at all..wonderfully well put. Thank you!

On 4/4/2023 at 12:01 PM, Love Zhaoying said:

Eventually, after abandoning, you do pay less...but, between abandoment time and your next tier payment, you are charged tier for the MOST land you owned during that previous period. If my tier is due on April 10, I don't pay less because I abandoned land on the 1st of April..I pay whatever was highest sq m up to Apr 10. 

• Like 2

On 4/3/2023 at 9:04 PM, benchthis said:

you crunched your land numbers and got more unaccounted for land difference of 1024. 

I crunched them with an earth moving machine and came up with 1024 and it should have been 11 something. I can't add or subtract...without help from a calculator, but I'm the one who operates the calculator so good luck with that!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I've been daydreaming about building a nice, largish garden, or a hobby farm. Maybe I should.

Do it!  The only "rent" I pay now is for that little plot on a friend's private region...it's about love and support. But I sure do prefer owning mainland and paying for it. If I pick the right spot, and have terraforming rights, etc., I can turn a flat lot into anything my heart desires more or less and within reason. I just unloaded a big place that I created and maintained in bits and pieces for nine years..all open to everybody, blah blah. I am SO tired of owning and maintaining public places..phooey...leave me alone now and get off  my lawn!

• Like 1

Update!  My accountant set me straight on all this....it was of course my own bad addition and difficulty understanding any number of things having to with land and numbers and such. Everything is, and was, fine. Whew! I thank each and every one of you for patience and advice and help! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 454 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.