Buying land as a Premiujm plus

Winter Nightingale

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 451 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

51 minutes ago, Winter Nightingale said:

I am a Premium plus member and a noob. If I buy this land, will it be covered by my 2048 land allowance? It says it is 2112 m. Is that the same as lot allowance? If I do have to pay rent, how much would it be due to the overage of 2112 over 2048?

Trying to learn. Thanks

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Eldora/204/7/113

you will be óver your tierlevel .. 2112 is more than  2048 :) so you will get in a higher level what means you have to pay.
Renting has no connection with tierlevels, so your 2048 is mostly useless in that case.

But there is a  trick .. create your own group, make sure you let a alt also join(!) donate your 2048 tier level to that group, and buy the land for group.
A group gets a 10% more land when donated. So your 2048 will get 2048+10%

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Winter Nightingale said:

If I do have to pay rent, how much would it be due to the overage of 2112 over 2048?

If that's all the land you own then you'll be charged the minimum of USD $4.00 per month for up to an extra 512 m2.

You'll need to login to Dashboard and see this page https://secondlife.com/my/account/landfees.php?lang=en-US 

If you have a Group (a Group you Own is best) then wear your Tag, stand on the land... open About Land window.... and Buy For Group (lower right corner) to get the 10% discount in advance, rather than Buy This Land and then Deed to Group, which will cause you to go up to the next tier level for those few minutes you were over the 2048 allowance. 

You can buy up to 2252 m2 without going over your 2048 allowance by using the Buy For Group!

Hope you enjoy Mainland as much as I do! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Good advice all around from both of you, thank you.

Love Kermit he's the best.

I just want to make sure I am learning all I can. What exactly does Alwin Alcot mean by

"Renting has no connection with tierlevels, so your 2048 is mostly useless in that case."

Is it because that land is a rental instead of buying? I thought my 2048 counted towards the total prim and I would just pay the $4 a month over fee. Or is that wrong?

But I'm going to use my alt to create a group and try it that way.

Thanks to you both.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Winter Nightingale said:

Good advice all around from both of you, thank you.

Love Kermit he's the best.

I just want to make sure I am learning all I can. What exactly does Alwin Alcot mean by

"Renting has no connection with tierlevels, so your 2048 is mostly useless in that case."

Is it because that land is a rental instead of buying? I thought my 2048 counted towards the total prim and I would just pay the $4 a month over fee. Or is that wrong?

But I'm going to use my alt to create a group and try it that way.

Thanks to you both.

The 2048 "free tier" counts ONLY on land that you BUY (prices will vary a lot) on MAINLAND (not private islands where typically you "buy" the land for a linden or a small fee and then pay rent. 

When you buy a piece of mainland it automatically shows you how much any extra tier will be.    So as mentioned IF you were actually buying mainland and you clicked on the "buy" button it would tell you what extra you would be paying each month.   

Understanding land is tricky so I suggest you read and keep asking questions until it is clear. 

For example:

image.png.f96f78899e132a87c1eeac0899505bfb.png

If you look at the lot circled --- it is MAINLAND (lots of land tied together and owned by Linden Lab). 

It is 2688 which is OVER your allotment "free tier" allotment so you would be paying some extra and it would tell you how much when you attempted to buy (and BEFORE you actually OK the sale).   You would have to pay 150,000 lindens (which is really ridiculous but each lot will have a price. Some are WAAAAAAY less expensive so look around. 

RENTING from another player rather mainland or private island will have nothing to do with the "free 2048 tier that you have already paid for, so look for mainland and hopefully a 2048 lot (there should be quite a few to choose from since that is a standard size).   That is your best value and THEN it will be "free" (well, already paid for LOL)

Good luck! Land shopping is an adventure. I enjoy it but I am no longer premium so the above doesn't apply to me any longer :D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I think you are right. I need more education before I commit to anything

Paying rent after you buy confused me but you explained it well. So as a Premium plus member I can buy land up to 2048 and not pay rent. But only on the mainland and NOT on a rental property is my understanding. And sky boxes are not an option for my 2048. Did I get all that correct ? Just clarifying my understanding.

My other issue is I sort of have my heart set on a nice, snow covered region. Most if SL seems to be beaches. And the snow lots are surronded by stores, clubs and other stuff.

But I have not given up hope yet I'm going to try that group thing the guys were talking about

Thank you for your time.

Edited by Winter Nightingale
  • Like 4

If you bought a 2048 sqm parcel and wanted to put a skybox on the parcel, you could certainly do that.  When you buy a parcel, it includes not just the ground portion, but all the air space above it as well. You would just need to make sure that the skybox or sky platform fit within  the property lines of the parcel.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Winter Nightingale said:

And sky boxes are not an option for my 2048. Did I get all that correct ?

You CAN put up a skybox, either on the mainland parcel you purchase or even over a Linden Home if you get one of those someday. A parcel owner can build upto approximately 4000 meters.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Winter Nightingale said:

So if you are dealing with another resident you have to different landlords to pay at different times.

You only have one "landlord" who is either LL or another resident; you will never have to pay both at once (for the same plot of land).

If you buy a plot on mainland, you will have to pay the original owner (once) for the land, or if you're savvy, you can look for a piece of 'abandoned' land, which LL will sell you at a very reasonable price (1L$/meter) if you send in a support ticket. There are also land auctions. Funny enough, there's a plot on auction close by to the one you were looking at. it's about half the size though. https://places.secondlife.com/parcels/268333/jiminy-68-76-general-1024m

Edited by Quistess Alpha
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/15/2023 at 5:21 AM, Winter Nightingale said:

Paying rent after you buy confused me

Not just you for sure. It's less confusing if you think of it like buying a house in real life. You pay the owner of the house (private prior owner, or Linden Lab in case you by via auction) once, for the house and plot itself, but then you also have to keep paying house owner's tax for as long as you own the house. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 451 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.