What Face Skin is This?

justness1265

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 430 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

15 hours ago, SpiritSparrow Skydancer said:

Those smiling avatars freak me out!! 

There is a hair store in SL that I will no longer even walk into because every ad on the wall is the same avatar with the same creepy smile.  The Marketplace store is the same.  I bet there are some hairs I would buy there, too, but nope.  Pure revulsion each time I see it. *Slowly backs away hoping not to get attacked by the fake smiles and blank eyes staring at me from every corner* It's my own personal horror story.

There are plenty of people who like the look, though.

Edited by Cinnamon Mistwood
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

There is a hair store in SL that I will no longer even walk into because every ad on the wall is the same avatar with the same creepy smile.  The Marketplace store is the same.  I bet there are some hairs I would buy there, too, but nope.  Pure revulsion each time I see it. *Slowly backs away hoping not to get attacked by the fake smiles and blank eyes staring at me from every corner* It's my own personal horror story.

There are plenty of people who like the look, though.

If it's done right it can enhance some nice well done flickr images I've seen, where everything is not built around the smile and it just fits and helps with the over all picture..

But a lot use it in things where it looks more like an add than someone really having a reason to be smiling like that.. hehehe

It comes off as someone saying cheese and them fake smiling..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 2

On 2/26/2023 at 7:44 PM, Ceka Cianci said:

If it's done right it can enhance some nice well done flickr images I've seen, where everything is not built around the smile and it just fits and helps with the over all picture..

But a lot use it in things where it looks more like an add than someone really having a reason to be smiling like that.. hehehe

It comes off as someone saying cheese and them fake smiling..

Whether it's done right or not, doesn't change the fact that it's a false representation of the item they try to sell in SL.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dorientje Woller said:

Whether it's done right or not, doesn't change the fact that it's a false representation of the item they try to sell in SL.

Any photochopped item for sale is, which is a lot of things for sale .. But if someone is doing it just for a flickr image, there really isn't anything wrong with that..

Myself I much rather see what the viewers can do rather than photochop things and love seeing how creative people get with that..But I can understand people loving working in photoshop to enhance things too.. I'm not a fan of those that do it for adds though..

1 minute ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Any photochopped item for sale is, which is a lot of things for sale .. But if someone is doing it just for a flickr image, there really isn't anything wrong with that..

Myself I much rather see what the viewers can do rather than photochop things and love seeing how creative people get with that..But I can understand people loving working in photoshop to enhance things too.. I'm not a fan of those that do it for adds though..

I saw a post on Flickr from Strawberry Linden made years ago where she requested people stop using FaceApp for their smiles on their photos - especially those being sent to the official Second Life Flickr group.

"I want to be able to share your beautiful images on our socials, but I can't because the Face App removes the beauty of our Second Life avatars." 

I actually agree with her on that. Photoshopping and artistically enhancing images is one thing, but running them through a mobile app face filter to plaster these weird smiles on them and not doing much else just looks...creepy. I mostly avoid shops that advertise with it. I think her main concern, though, was that it gives potential users across social media a false impression of what our avatars actually look like.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I saw a post on Flickr from Strawberry Linden made years ago where she requested people stop using FaceApp for their smiles on their photos - especially those being sent to the official Second Life Flickr group.

"I want to be able to share your beautiful images on our socials, but I can't because the Face App removes the beauty of our Second Life avatars." 

I actually agree with her on that. Photoshopping and artistically enhancing images is one thing, but running them through a mobile app face filter to plaster these weird smiles on them and not doing much else just looks...creepy. I mostly avoid shops that advertise with it. I think her main concern, though, was that it gives potential users across social media a false impression of what our avatars actually look like.

Don't "poses" also do the same thing to some extent - leave a false impression of Second Life? They may give the impression that avatars can travel about Second Life using these beautiful, lifelike poses as part of some animation.

Whereas, most photos use static poses, and animations are more-or-less generic compared to poses.

11 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I agree with her totally, plus anything that enhances outside the viewer like photoshop..I think if it's for the pic of the day or anything to show off second life, they should be raw and only enhanced with what the viewers can do..

If it's for someone doing it because they feel like getting artistic and enhancing their SL pictures, there isn't anything wrong with that, but they don't belong in second life contest or places meant to show off secondlife and what it can do..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Don't "poses" also do the same thing to some extent - leave a false impression of Second Life? They may give the impression that avatars can travel about Second Life using these beautiful, lifelike poses as part of some animation.

Whereas, most photos use static poses, and animations are more-or-less generic compared to poses.

What? We can absolutely do that all in-world.

There are some beautiful animated poses that are used in AOs. Static poses are used in AOs, too. And model/photography poses are used in SL just the same way they are in real life. I guess I don't get the comparison?

FaceApp is a mobile app from the Google Play store and Apple store. It's external - not something we can do in SL. Photoshop would be the better comparison, but most don't use PS to completely alter their faces and put new smiles/eyes/features in. I'd say most SL photographers use PS to enhance lighting/shadow, add effects, correct mistakes (alpha issues), do color correction, etc. Similar to basic RL photography, pretty much.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

If you can put an avatar into a pose, you can more than likely make a path animated to those points.. The animation might not exist, but it could exist if someone decided to make it. There is some pretty wild dances in SL.. hehehe

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I guess I don't get the comparison?

That's ok, I will leave it at this:  If you moved around Second Life using "beautiful, static poses" in your AO's, it would look a little awkward compared to the avatars who use non-static poses in their AO's. Like you're "vogueing" all the time.

1 minute ago, Ceka Cianci said:

If you can put an avatar into a pose, you can more than likely make a path animated to those points.. The animation might not exist, but it could exist if someone decided to make it. There is some pretty wild dances in SL.. hehehe

Now there's an idea! What if, you could have an "automatic ('seamless') transition" between static poses? 

Of course, it may look like you're trying to be a pretzel. LOL!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Now there's an idea! What if, you could have an "automatic ('seamless') transition" between static poses? 

Of course, it may look like you're trying to be a pretzel. LOL!

I think me and you may be seeing different poses.. hehehehe

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

That's ok, I will leave it at this:  If you moved around Second Life using "beautiful, static poses" in your AO's, it would look a little awkward compared to the avatars who use non-static poses in their AO's. Like you're "vogueing" all the time.

Say you've never seen my absolutely redonkulous AOs without saying you've never seen my absolutely redonkulous AOs. 😂

I don't use static poses in my AOs, but I do use fully animated ones, and full on shameless bust-a-move dances. Everything from twerks to breakdancing. The Bernie Lean. Some other things. And dance walks. And model catwalk walks.

I've also used my AO to pose before. And like in real life, I can fire off a pose at any time from inventory and vogue while chilling in a clothing store (I may or may not have done this before just saying it's possible!).

So I'm still a little lost here. Sowwy!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

We're a bit (ok more than a bit) off-topic and I don't want us to get slapped by a mod, buuuuuut just to add real quick - some static poses are built with transitions baked in. I have a set that transitions so beautifully between each static pose. A slower, longer ease in/out type deal, which I love. I don't need it for anything, but if you really wanted to swap dramatic poses seamlessly while standing around shopping you absolutely could lol.

Okay okay, FaceApp, weird smiles, go! 🏃‍♀️

Oh lemme edit real quick - I could completely be wrong, but that body skin might be a Velour. The face is anybody's guess, though.

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
Added stuffs
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

We're a bit (ok more than a bit) off-topic and I don't want us to get slapped by a mod, buuuuuut just to add real quick - some static poses are built with transitions baked in. I have a set that transitions so beautifully between each static pose. A slower, longer ease in/out type deal, which I love. I don't need it for anything, but if you really wanted to swap dramatic poses seamlessly while standing around shopping you absolutely could lol.

Okay okay, FaceApp, weird smiles, go! 🏃‍♀️

Oh lemme edit real quick - I could completely be wrong, but that body skin might be a Velour. The face is anybody's guess, though.

* checks topic * "Face Skins".  Ok, no such thing.  "Head Skins", maybe. Next topic!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 430 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.