Blocking Ineffective

Piikoi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 577 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, EliseAnne85 said:

Yeah, a special name won't do.  So, forget that but I don't think it's needed.

But, if a profile disappears upon blocking and if a griefer or drunk person blocks the DJ, Host or Owner and the DJ, Host or Owner find out they have no way to contact the person they'd probably just be booted/banned anyways.  The person who initiated the block would have to unblock and *then* once they sobered up or whatever their problem was, contact the Dj, Host or Owner asking for another chance.  

So, what I'm saying is, land owners do have a lot of power to take care of problems; so, first of all, they should always be contacted when problems arise.  And, if a Dj, Host or Owner found out they were blocked and couldn't even IM the person, they very well might initiate a ban.  Why would anyone want a griefing customer they cannot even contact?

So, this sounds like it could be useful or maybe not...maybe just cause more problems.

But, I don't see why a blocked stalker would need to still see a person's profile other than to see their Groups and Picks or be looking for personal names in their prey's profile.  

I really don't think we should be making features on something that isn't the majority of problems..

Think about why so many people block other people.. The majority is to just shut down a jerk and more times than not it end there.. That or someone say something in chat and someone not like what they said or said a word that triggered them.. There is a long list of reasons why someone blocks someone else and both users should have the same amount of power in their options to block each other..

I don't think a block feature turned into a security feature should be an automatic power up for one person over the other..

I don't think we should be treating every user that gets blocked like they are a stalker with stalker restrictions..

I think once you reach stalker level, you are going to need more than better blocking..

The profile idea reminds me of  someone I was in a project with.. once the project was finished, things happened where we didn't get along, and serious drama  came on me pretty hard.. We both ended up blocking each other..

I also ended up ARing their profile for begin plastered all over it  and my conversations edited and posted in it..Let alone a lot of other things going on in groups we were still in together.. that's not counting the things sent to me from others that were going out in group notices..

The profile got cleared up pretty quickly.. I just stayed silent the whole time and didn't give them anymore food for thought.. when they crossed the line I AR'd them.

There isn't always one side to a block.. We really don't know the story of what got those two people to that point.. We hear a lot of times one side of it, but sometimes feel like fools when we get the other side..

I've never  had a problem with an AR sticking that I knew was legitimate .. For me it was easy to tell, because all of a sudden there was silence in the places where they were vocal and seen..

I'm not saying other peoples AR's haven't failed, I'm just saying I know mine stuck, mainly because I could still see in some ways to tell..

I know AR's fail for a lot of reasons.. It's why people need to calm down and keep things to the details only and try their best to keep emotions  out of the information..  And most important is  to try their best to make sure it is something that is going to stick..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
put the n't on haven't
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Wouldn't that get pretty boring rather quickly? They do it for the response. If there is no response and the first and second alts get blocked, is there a point to continuing with the alts? 

It's pretty rare for there to be just that one person in SL that nothing will stop them until LL hauls them into court and they get slapped with more than a fine. So rare that it's never happened.

Most of the time, the tools we already have are more than sufficient to take care of the issues (once RZ was booted off the grid). Adding more features to those tools is only going to end up bogging the client down even further. 

You're right.  But people could still.just do it because they can for sh*it's and giggles.  There's always a group of people who don't target anyone specifically but just go places to cause mayhem.  If they're friends tell them to block all 8 people at some place, that now invisible person can go in and do whatever since no one can see them.  Take pics of themselves naked, doing who knows what.  Kind of a major downside of the mutual block idea.  

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

You're right.  But people could still.just do it because they can for sh*it's and giggles.  There's always a group of people who don't target anyone specifically but just go places to cause mayhem.  If they're friends tell them to block all 8 people at some place, that now invisible person can go in and do whatever since no one can see them.  Take pics of themselves naked, doing who knows what.  Kind of a major downside of the mutual block idea.  

They already do it for grins n giggles (and yes I am gi*ggling) but are they really getting grins n giggles if no one can see what they are doing and protest? Where's the fun in that? They might be giddy at first but once they realize they're not getting a response what then? They stop that's what because they aren't getting anything out of it. 

If the abuser can be seen it will escalate because they get a response (of any kind). If the abuser can't be seen there is no response, no escalation and the abuser is left hanging high and dry.

Will the abuser go to another victim? Mostly likely but unlike in RL there are only so many people in SL and sooner or later they will run out of easy pickings targets.

LL has already worked through all this numerous times over the years and each time they come to the same conclusion. The tools, as they are, are more than sufficient for dealing with griefers and SL stalkers. 

If it goes from SL to RL, it's out of LL's hands and needs to involve law enforcement.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I don't think we should be treating every user that gets blocked like they are a stalker with stalker restrictions..

Of course everyone who gets blocked is not a stalker.  Mostly, they are a jerk like you said, or obnoxious.  

However, if they can't see the blockees profile, it might prevent stalking via GROUPS, PICKS, personal names in one's profile.  But, then again, it might not, because they make an alt.

This is why I say contact club management immediately because if they have to short ban one and an alt comes in soon and is real quiet, they are watching for clues that they don't act like a jerk again.  And, if they don't act like a jerk again, at least club management might know they aren't drunk at least.  

Maybe, a better suggestion is instead of becoming invisible, one turns gray to them.  That could bore them to death.  And, if a bunch of people block their avatar, all they will see is grayed avatars but no details.

Of course, this could be an expense and/or weigh on the client as Silent brought up about adding features when I am a techno dummie.  So, I am just kind of throwing suggestions out there even if they are not workable because I really dunno how to help, nor what the expense is nor how it would weigh on the client itself. 

But, if you are stalked or bullied, don't keep silent.  Talk to management, talk to the Linden's, etc.  And, go somewhere else for awhile that is NOT in your GROUPS or PICKS.

Edited by EliseAnne85

15 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

Of course everyone who gets blocked is not a stalker.  Mostly, they are a jerk like you said, or obnoxious.  

However, if they can't see the blockees profile, it might prevent stalking via GROUPS, PICKS, personal names in one's profile.  But, then again, it might not, because they make an alt.

This is why I say contact club management immediately because if they have to short ban one and an alt comes in soon and is real quiet, they are watching for clues that they don't act like a jerk again.  And, if they don't act like a jerk again, at least club management might know they aren't drunk at least.  

Maybe, a better suggestion is instead of becoming invisible, one turns gray to them.  That could bore them to death.  And, if they block a bunch of avatars, all they will see is grayed avatars but no details.

Of course, this could be an expense and/or weigh on the client as Silent brought up about adding features when I am a techno dummie.  So, I am just kind of throwing suggestions out there even if they are not workable because I really dunno how to help.  But, if you are stalked or bullied, don't keep silent.  Talk to management, talk to the Linden's, etc.  

And, go somewhere else for awhile that is NOT in your GROUPS or PICKS.

Tips I would give people is,

Don't show groups in your profile that you hang out or live.. If you want to show something there ,keep it to things like stores and maybe events and things like that, that are not personal and so linking to where you may be. The less someone knows about your hangouts, the better.

That's information for friends to know that you trust..

When putting images in your profile. Go to some random location you never go to, other than to put pics in your profile..

Also when filling out your profile, don't give out personal information.. There are lots of ways to put things in there without giving anything away.. Only give away what you are wiling to let anyone in the world read and know about you..

Save the other things for people you know and trust to know those things.

Don't be so giving of information in first meetings.. Keep things basic and not revealing..

Someone asks me where I'm from, I say the U.S., if they keep asking I'll say the south.. Then if they keep asking, I'll say something like, why are you wanting to come over or something? hehehe

Only give out what you feel good about giving out, as if you were talking to some stranger on the phone.

Don't walk so sure footed in a world like this, basically.

Always have that reg flag ready to go up..

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Don't show groups in your profile that you hang out or live.. If you want to show something there ,keep it to things like stores and maybe events and things like that, that are not personal and so linking to where you may be. The less someone knows about your hangouts, the better.

In addition, never use your home parcel for a pick because you just gave everyone a TP link to your land.

image.png.a3f4316a28d01bcc1080147b9fc806a7.png

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

That's information for friends to know that you trust..

When putting images in your profile. Go to some random location you never go to, other than to put pics in your profile..

Also when filling out your profile, don't give out personal information.. There are lots of ways to put things in there without giving anything away.. Only give away what you are wiling to let anyone in the world read and know about you..

Good advice.  The world doesn't need to see GROUPS that are personal or may contain info on where u live.  If you want to teleport someone to where u live, that's different.  

Real life or virtual the principal remains the same .

Police arrived a week late when my stepdaughter was threatened with knives by a gang on her own doorstep and they offered as advice that she shouldn't report the matter because she might get stabbed for it . Fortunately i turned up when the police should have and the gang decided stabbing me would be a bad idea . I told them exactly what would happen if i seen them again and we never did .

Hide and run away from bullies , report it to the teacher then hibernate for a while .

Imagine the public outrage if government put such posters everywhere and called it a solution lol .

26 minutes ago, cunomar said:

Real life or virtual the principal remains the same .

Police arrived a week late when my stepdaughter was threatened with knives by a gang on her own doorstep and they offered as advice that she shouldn't report the matter because she might get stabbed for it . Fortunately i turned up when the police should have and the gang decided stabbing me would be a bad idea . I told them exactly what would happen if i seen them again and we never did .

Hide and run away from bullies , report it to the teacher then hibernate for a while .

Imagine the public outrage if government put such posters everywhere and called it a solution lol .

Because real knives and virtual knives are the same, basically...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@cunomarsaid:  

WHAT WAS SAID IN THE COPYCAT THREAD:

*** Or it could be some sort of provocation, in which case you definitely shouldn’t show any reaction to it, since it’d only make her do it more.

This would be my guess.  Just ignore her.    ***

What EliseAnne says:  You can view it as hide all you want but the reason for it is exactly the words above from the COPYCAT thread.  Highlights:  Don't show any reaction.  Ignore.  These are the best defense.

I really don't want to hear your pseudo-heroic vigilante stories.   Please do not promote taking the law into your own hands on SL forum.  

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Like 1

Bulling online and bullying in RL does have vastly different dynamics from my experiences. What works for one does not nessesarily work for the other. It's even a different matter depending on age and environment. Apples and oranges, basically.

However, if people don't WANT to understand that, there's no amount of arguments going to change that. 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 577 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.