Crashing when I cam/pan around.

4REIGN

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 484 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have read numerous previous threads on similar situation and have tried the suggestions but things are getting worse it seems.  I did a firestorm update and windows update prior to having the issue. Whenever i begin to cam around i freeze and crash. I have had this happened only one other time at a store and the only thing that helped was to lower my graphic settings to the lowest possible setting.  I am having the same issue on my own sim and just lowering my graphic settings is not enough.  I did a few suggegstions.. I unchecked object occlusion and that seemingly helped, but for some reason today I am freezing and crashing without camming.  Even when I hover my cursor over my region's landmark in my history, I get the spinning wheel. I have restarted the sim multiple times. cleared caches and also tried other suggestions.  Does anyone have any other suggestions.  It happens on the sl viewer as well as firestorm.

@4REIGN  To answer a tech question like this we need to know more. Click the viewer's HELP->About... and copy-paste the information there into your post (edit is behind the 3 dots in the post's upper right). Without that information we are blindly guessing.

Edited by Nalates Urriah

1 hour ago, 4REIGN said:

this? ... Firestorm 6.6.8 (68380) Jan  3 2023 19:59:43 (64bit / SSE2) (Firestorm-Releasex64) with Havok support

As Henry says, we need all of the info.  Click the "Copy to Clipboard" button at the bottom of that About window and then Paste it here.

Firestorm 6.6.8 (68380) Jan  3 2023 19:59:43 (64bit / SSE2) (Firestorm-Releasex64) with Havok support
Release Notes

SLURL: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/
(global coordinates 161,134.0, 326,336.0, 30.2)
Second Life Server 2023-01-20.577734
Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4590 CPU @ 3.30GHz (3292.39 MHz)
Memory: 12194 MB
Concurrency: 4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 19045.2486)
Graphics Card Vendor: Intel
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
Graphics Card Memory: 1024 MB

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 20.19.15.5144
OpenGL Version: 4.3.0 - Build 20.19.15.5144

RestrainedLove API: (disabled)
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.54.1 OpenSSL/1.1.1l zlib/1.2.11.zlib-ng nghttp2/1.40.0
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v8.2
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Studio 2.02.09
Dullahan: 1.12.4.202209142021
  CEF: 91.1.21+g9dd45fe+chromium-91.0.4472.114
  Chromium: 91.0.4472.114
LibVLC Version: 3.0.16
Voice Server Version: Vivox 4.10.0000.32327.5fc3fe7c.571099

Settings mode: Firestorm
Viewer Skin: Firestorm (Grey)
Window size: 1360x705 px
Font Used: Deja Vu (96 dpi)
Font Size Adjustment: 0 pt
UI Scaling: 1
Draw distance: 64 m
Bandwidth: 500 kbit/s
LOD factor: 1.5
Render quality: Low (1/7)
Advanced Lighting Model: No
Texture memory: 768 MB (1)
Disk cache: Max size 2048.0 MB (100.0% used)
Built with MSVC version 1934
Packets Lost: 0/1,735 (0.0%)
February 14 2023 04:27:44 SLT

I had 3 changes happen around same time right before the issue started.  I updated my WINDOWS, was forced to update FIRESTORM, and had a region restart. From what I have read, the most likely possibility has to do with my graphic card.  I am freezing and crashing now in all regions when I cam and even sometimes when I've done nothing. I am thinking with the changes, now my graphic card among other things are outdated.  When I installed firestorm after doing a recovery, I received errors saying that i was missing a few different things that i downloaded from microsoft. MsSVCP140.dll and vcruntime140.dll

Edited by 4REIGN

Yes, that graphics card is a huge issue.  Since you had to update your Firestorm viewer, you'll either want to enable Vsync or cap your fps for starters.  It's under preferences/graphics...

Vsync..

https://gyazo.com/be9d5bbf232fe3410b1e11d924584a1c

Limit frame rate...

https://gyazo.com/b3609d034a248a75ce390f3b2ef90029

my system worked really nice before the updates... so is my graphic card not compatible with firestorm now? also alts seem to take much more to freeze up when camming than my main account.  the vsync seems to be working so far with all my settings lowered.

Edited by 4REIGN

I run the same version of Windows as you and the recent tranche of updates did not cause me any noticeable issues though I run a discrete NVidia GPU rather than the integrated Intel chips.

One or two salient points need to be made regarding updating Firestorm.

If you were running satisfactorily on FS 6.6.3 prior to these issues it was not a "forced" update, in the manner of the default Linden viewer.  The little stickie note simply says a new version is available for download, you can dismiss the message in one click.  Firestorm always runs three versions of the viewer, so anything newer than 6.5.6 will be supported for the present.

Do your freeze/crash issues occur when running the Linden Viewer?  Have you fully "whitlisted" your Firestorm in your AntiVirus programme (if not seperate AV, you will be using  Windows own Defender system).

https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/antivirus_whitelisting?s[]=whitelisting should help you.

It is important to redo all your whitelisting after an update to the viewer, if the AV detects even minor changes in the folder or file contents, even though the names may be the same, the AV may regard them as intrustive unless you relist them.  This I know from experience!

Edited by Aishagain
further advice

2 hours ago, 4REIGN said:

my system worked really nice before the updates... so is my graphic card not compatible with firestorm now? also alts seem to take much more to freeze up when camming than my main account.  the vsync seems to be working so far with all my settings lowered.

If it WAS a forced update then you were pretty far behind the current viewers which implement the newest code which includes graphical stuff (yeah, not a very techie word).  

The last viewer on the "old" render code was 6.3.9 (ie Windlight) and that was blocked quite a while ago, as far as I recall.  The version(s) following that were pretty slow and awkward for Intel graphics until (I think) 6.6.3.  The newer versions all have their issues and the Visual basic thing was awkward for some, but it shouldn't happen again.

Edited by Aishagain
grammar

yes it was a forced update i could not log in unless i updated fs.  freeze/crash happened on sl viewer as well. can it possibly be my inventory? I did clear inventory cache.  It takes a lot more to freeze crash on my alt that has far less inventory.  I have done all the updates on the intel graphics side and also needed updates on the dell side. I will read that wiki link.

18 minutes ago, 4REIGN said:

yes it was a forced update i could not log in unless i updated fs.  freeze/crash happened on sl viewer as well. can it possibly be my inventory? I did clear inventory cache.  It takes a lot more to freeze crash on my alt that has far less inventory.  I have done all the updates on the intel graphics side and also needed updates on the dell side. I will read that wiki link.

Both the new Firestorm and SL viewers now make more use of your GPU.  The version you were on previously did not use the new code.

The last and possibly final update for graphics card was 2 years ago.  You might have better luck.with another viewer.

@Henri Beauchampwould your viewer run better for this set up?

1 hour ago, 4REIGN said:

do you know if black dragon is any good?

Most people I know who use black dragon use it for.photos only and not as their daily use viewer.  I think it probably runs as well as firestorm or the SL viewer.

Cool Viewer has been recommended at various times for.people with less than optimal computers.  That's why I tagged Henri as he's the developer of Cool Viewer.

Im my experience, I think Cool VL will fare better than the other viewers if you have Intel integrated graphics (aka iGPU). My SL laptop PC has a UHD 630, newer than the OP's. You will have to limit your texture memory to maybe 512 MB. I can run at 1 GB with the UHD 630. (I don't use the iGPU often for SL, mostly for testing... mine has a Nvidia GTX 1050 GPU with 4 GB VRAM.)

Aside from that you might have to get used to the v1 style interface. Speaking of which, there is another newer third party viewer called Genesis that's also based on the v1 interface. It claims to be lightweight compared to other viewers, so I think that may work for you as well. I've tried it but it doesn't render well on my PC for whatever reason, especially if I use high settings. https://genesisviewer.org/

18 hours ago, 4REIGN said:

do you know if black dragon is any good?

Yeah, it's great but I wouldn't recommend it if you run SL on integrated graphics. That's because its default settings are relatively high, and you need those to get acceptable results for photos. This can cause plenty of activity with the CPU and GPU. There are a few folks that have tried it with integrated graphics, but you will struggle because of the frame rate drop, and likely experience crashes often because your PC might not handle BD well.

A lot of folks (myself included) often marvel at how hot PCs get while using Black Dragon. It's no joke but I think the results are worth it. I don't use it often though ... I'm with the handful of users that bravely use it in Linux with Wine btw lol. It does work... I pop it open when I want my Dutch angles and lighting that I think only BD is capable of producing without too much post processing, or none at all.

Edited by JeromFranzic
Schpelling

ty all for your help.  it sucks that my system worked really well before the update and not it is struggling. the vsync seems to be allowing me to pan around and it takes a lot more to make me crash. once again ty all for the help. I'll suffer through it til I get something newer/better.

Edited by 4REIGN

1 hour ago, JeromFranzic said:

Yeah, it's great but I wouldn't recommend it if you run SL on integrated graphics. That's because its default settings are relatively high, and you need those to get acceptable results for photos. This can cause plenty of activity with the CPU and GPU. There are a few folks that have tried it with integrated graphics, but you will struggle because of the frame rate drop, and likely experience crashes often because your PC might not handle BD well.

A lot of folks (myself included) often marvel at how hot PCs get while using Black Dragon. It's no joke but I think the results are worth it. I don't use it often though ... I'm with the handful of users that bravely use it in Linux with Wine btw lol. It does work... I pop it open when I want my Dutch angles and lighting that I think only BD is capable of producing without too much post processing, or none at all.

This sounds like there is some misconception of how hardware and heat works in conjunction with what BD really does and doesn't.

Black Dragon is simply capable of using more of your GPU (it uses roughly the same amount of CPU as all Viewers as they are all quite limited in that regard) due to an extended feature set that are almost exclusively ran on the GPU (via shaders), most commonly some sort of screen space or post processing effects. A GPU is meant to run hot, all the way to ~60-90°C is completely normal depending on its usage %, manufacturer and brand. BD by far doesn't use as much ressources as it could, let alone as any normal game would... not to mention an actual optimized game being able to utilize close to 100% of both CPU and GPU. By default BD does not much more resources than any other Viewer unless other Viewers have made some changes to cut on GPU resource usage, which BD has not. BD may use higher default settings because it doesn't utilize the Hardware probing on startup nor does it "try" to enforce a preset based on your hardware (other than some basic things), it will simply start up in expected default settings, whether your hardware is capable of them or not (in the latter case they will simply fail and drop down to lower settings automatically)

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 484 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.