online trackers ....

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 702 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Robberinthemuseum said:

Jesus, it's just creepy af isn't it? Perfect halloween topic

In fairness, if one has access to the group list of an existing group to which the person you are targeting belongs, you can use it to find out if someone is online now. But that's obviously a much more cumbersome process than using a HUD that sends you alerts when someone logs in.

And while it can't show where you are, as Innula notes,it's often not difficult to surmise that they'll be at their known home, or at a favourite club, store, gathering place, or whatever. And yes, you can block, derender, or mute . . . but that doesn't stop them from seeing you, talking about you, etc. I can think of a dozen ways this can be used to harass someone without even trying.

It is creepy. Fortunately, it is a very great deal less dangerous than it would be in RL.

5 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

In fairness, if one has access to the group list of an existing group to which the person you are targeting belongs, you can use it to find out if someone is online now. But that's obviously a much more cumbersome process than using a HUD that sends you alerts when someone logs in.

Good one, I forgot / did not remember that!

Another case / Edge case: 

a) Troll / griffer creates "nice" alts and befriends you. 

Then, if also b) By default, you have "show online status" set for friends.

As a result, the meanie's Alt can always see if you are online. (Similar goes for "Can find on map".)

Does this sound like a valid scenario?

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Another case / Edge case: 

An inventive person can always find all sorts of "end cases" like that.  As Innula suggests, finding a person in SL doesn't have to involve fancy technology; just a bit of patience and good observational skills.  Most people tend to hang around the same areas and talk to the same friends day after day and they drop clues in conversation that suggest the events, shops, and clubs that they enjoy. It doesn't take great detective skills to predict where you are likely to show up tomorrow. If you let your mind chase down too many rabbit holes after "end cases", you're on the road to paranoia.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Robberinthemuseum said:

What's an online tracker and why would anyone bother 🤔? Can't you take it off? How are you not able to take it off?

It's the OTHER person who has the tracker. They are either worn as a hud or rezzed out in their home. I could get one and add "Robberinthemuseum" to the list and it will ping me or send me an email every time you log in and out. You would not be notified.

Edited by Lewis Luminos
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Definitely do NOT trust them with any of your money -- unless they are the banking alt that never leaves home and never hits the MP.

I log my first account in once every couple of weeks to steal his L$500-a-week stipend, then my other two alts steal it straight off me. It's literally like being the parent of two teenage girls.

• Haha 5

25 minutes ago, Lewis Luminos said:

I log my first account in once every couple of weeks to steal his L$500-a-week stipend, then my other two alts steal it straight off me. It's literally like being the parent of two teenage girls.

Reminds me that it has been over a month since I last logged the Premium alts in to steal their stipends.

/me scurries off to steal L$

Correction -- It apparently has been many, many months since I stole their Stipends.  I'm now RICH  (well, only sort of)

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Haha 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 702 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.