Reputation in the Forums

Ags Falconer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 588 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I ... don't understand this conversation, so I will smile, nod, and give everyone cupcakes.

I'll also add my two cents as to rep in this or any forum: self-awareness.

Like, some people who put "no drama" in their profiles, and then are just downright MacBeth-ian. "I will have none of thine theatrics in mine presence, sirrah!" The dudgeon started high and then it climbed.

Be dramatic if you want to. I loved "Trouble at the Crossroads." Just own it :)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, SeattleChris said:

I ... don't understand this conversation, so I will smile, nod, and give everyone cupcakes.

Stick around, it will all make sense! Most things in "the list" (Rowan's list) happen frequently.

12 minutes ago, SeattleChris said:

Like, some people who put "no drama" in their profiles, and then are just downright MacBeth-ian. "I will have none of thine theatrics in mine presence, sirrah!" The dudgeon started high and then it climbed.

Asking others to be "self-aware" is a pretty tall order!

Have you considered the Pet Peeve thread?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Stick around, it will all make sense! Most things in "the list" (Rowan's list) happen frequently.

Asking others to be "self-aware" is a pretty tall order!

Have you considered the Pet Peeve thread?

I've been telling myself things will start making sense for over half a century. If it suddenly happened in the Second Life forums... well, why not? Many times I feel when I'm not logged in that I'm just LARPing SL anyway.

Self-awareness doesn't seem all that difficult. Could be as easy as knowing the difference between a turtle and a tortoise.

I tend to avoid peeve threads unless to touch on them tangentially for the purposes of humor, lest it become less of a peeve thread and more of an existential trauma support group. (Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him Horatio.) Also, I have no slights to report. The last forum I frequented was an MMORPG forum. Y'all seem like adorable kittens filled with nothing but love for one another. Or something equally nice but less obsequious. At any rate, so far I've avoided torches and pitchforks, so no peeves to report.

• Like 8

50 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Well, it's not just that "flounce" can, maybe, be synonymous with "rage quit." It's also that it connotes a particular attitude towards that person's actions. It suggests that their reasons are probably trivial, that they are being a bit bratty and very showy, and so forth. So, denotative meaning is one thing: connotation is quite another. If for instance, one said that "the ambassador flounced out of the talks," one would be betraying a particularly dismissive attitude to their reasons for doing so.

The vast majority of the time, when you use the term "flounce," it is about yourself. It's self-denigrating, a little ironic, and humourous. Which is also how I apply it to myself. No one is likely to take exception to tongue-in-cheek humour directed at oneself.

Using it to refer to the upset responses of those unhappy with the new forum guidelines, on the other hand, either reveals that one doesn't understand the word, or that one is sneering at their response.

On one occasion that I recall, I asked someone not to use "flounce" in this context, as it seemed unnecessarily and, I thought at the time, possibly unintentionally insulting to people who were legitimately upset over something important to them. I've since come to think it wasn't so "unintentional" after all.

/me flounces out of the thread, picking up her skirts and, nose high in the air, out-flounces even you.

Ah! So, you own the definition.  Cool!

My definition: Declaring you are leaving - for any reason - then coming back. Period.  No context, no emotion, no reasons, no judgement. It's just a word. Easy peasy.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SeattleChris said:

I tend to avoid peeve threads unless to touch on them tangentially for the purposes of humor, lest it become less of a peeve thread and more of an existential trauma support group.

Luckily, our "official" Peeve thread is mostly tangential, and chock-ful-o humor! I'm sure that upsets those who think it is all "off topic" and the thread should thereby be closed, forthwith, forsooth! 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Luckily, our "official" Peeve thread is mostly tangential, and chock-ful-o humor! I'm sure that upsets those who think it is all "off topic" and the thread should thereby be closed, forthwith, forsooth! 

Are there such people? Is there a meta-peeve thread to accommodate them?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, SeattleChris said:

Are there such people? Is there a meta-peeve thread to accommodate them?

No clue if the picture is from a most recent post or..?

Sorry - missed the point of your actual question. The Peeve thread above is "all-inclusive". The Meta-Peeve people can complain there as well.  There are also "anti-Peeve" threads ("Pet Delights", "Oh Em Gee").

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

No clue if the picture is from a most recent post or..?

Sorry - missed the point of your actual question. The Peeve thread above is "all-inclusive". The Meta-Peeve people can complain there as well.  There are also "anti-Peeve" threads ("Pet Delights", "Oh Em Gee").

I remember how to get there. We had a conversation recently in that thread about autism and sarcasm, iirc.

It's a fun thread.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, SeattleChris said:

Be dramatic if you want to. I loved "Trouble at the Crossroads." Just own it :)

Yaay cupcakes!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

My definition: Declaring you are leaving - for any reason - then coming back. Period.  No context, no emotion, no reasons, no judgement. It's just a word. Easy peasy.

I don't "own" definitions, Love.

I just know how to use a dictionary.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:
49 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I don't "own" definitions, Love.

I just know how to use a dictionary.

That's awesome, I did not know "Flounce" made it into the official dictionary, I assumed it was just "slang" still.  In which case, it would only be defined in "unofficial" sources such as the "Urban dictionary", etc.- those definitions are user-submitted, but you knew that!

How cool! I'll assume you know what you're saying. You should be an English teacher!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

That's awesome, I did not know "Flounce" made it into the official dictionary, I assumed it was just "slang" still.  In which case, it would only be defined in "unofficial" sources such as the "Urban dictionary", etc.- those definitions are user-submitted, but you knew that!

How cool! I'll assume you know what you're saying. You should be an English teacher!

Flounce... To leave an internet group or thread with exaggerated drama; deleting posts, notifying mods and or group users, and cross-posting on other groups to draw attention to the drama. Comes from the original use of gathering up skirts and petticoats and leaving in dramatic, impatient and exaggerated movements.

flounce

[flouns]

VERB

flouncing (present participle)

go or move in an exaggeratedly impatient or angry manner:

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

That's awesome, I did not know "Flounce" made it into the official dictionary, I assumed it was just "slang" still.

It's a real word. No need to bother with the Urban Dictionary for that one. Though, Urban Dictionary does favor a more colorful interpretation, but then, that's not surprising.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/flounce

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/flounce

https://www.britannica.com/dictionary/flounce

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/dictionary/english/flounce

More on topic, I still don't even know what forum reputation means/is. So there's that! 😏

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

It's a real word. No need to bother with the Urban Dictionary for that one. Though, Urban Dictionary does favor a more colorful interpretation, but then, that's not surprising.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/flounce

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/flounce

https://www.britannica.com/dictionary/flounce

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/dictionary/english/flounce

More on topic, I still don't even know what forum reputation means/is. So there's that! 😏

We could use *leaves in a huff*  which I kind of prefer.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Flounce... To leave an internet group or thread with exaggerated drama; deleting posts, notifying mods and or group users, and cross-posting on other groups to draw attention to the drama. Comes from the original use of gathering up skirts and petticoats and leaving in dramatic, impatient and exaggerated movements.

flounce

[flouns]

VERB

flouncing (present participle)

go or move in an exaggeratedly impatient or angry manner:

No mention of "leaving for completely valid reasons", "leaving BECAUSE of drama / fanciful reasons". Interesting!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I think the OP was not aware of the "Leaderboard", and there "is" no offical "negative reputation" (not including "warnings", "bans", etc.) So, taking the original question literally, it is this doohickey in everyone's profile (see red box drawn around the word "reputation" below):

Maybe that answer was not so clear, because all of the discussion?

reputation.png

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I think the OP was not aware of the "Leaderboard", and there "is" no offical "negative reputation" (not including "warnings", "bans", etc.) So, taking the original question literally, it is this doohickey (see red box drawn around the word "reputation" below):

Maybe that answer was not so clear, because all of the discussion?

reputation.png

Ohhhh, that thing. I always forget it exists since I'm only ever in my profile to change my avatar or somefin.

10 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

"Sashay away" is my preferred phrase. But my SL walks are usually fairly over-the-top, so that works in my case. 😂

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I think it has a similar meaning to "flounce," but maybe with more "anger" implied? OED says:

A fit of petulance or offended dignity caused by an affront, real or supposed; esp. in in a huff, to take huff.

The key there may be "petulance." "Real or supposed" also suggests that, like "flounce," the focus is not upon the validity of the reasons for one's exit, but rather upon the way in which one is doing it. (In both cases, but especially "flounce," the implication, though, is that one's reaction is out of proportion to its supposed reason.)

19 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Ohhhh, that thing. I always forget it exists since I'm only ever in my profile to change my avatar or somefin.

"Sashay away" is my preferred phrase. But my SL walks are usually fairly over-the-top, so that works in my case. 😂

I love sashay! It derives from dancing! Who doesn't want to look like one is dancing!?! And it's ostentatious without being ill-tempered!

/me sashays prettily away from this slight derail.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 588 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.