9 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Oh excellent.

Peeve : Blinding newsflashes

Oh, the sensationalism.

Really , Scylla ? Fandomwire.com is a reliable news-source  to you ? :|

Edited by Ted McGregor

9 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Oh excellent.

Oceangate may have used SL to "train" its passengers.

https://fandomwire.com/horrendous-tragedy-involving-the-titan-oceangate/

Yeah just what we need.

"Creaky old Video game used for cheap training may have caused fatal high profile accident"

Followed by the slight increase in concurrency as reporters come here to see if SL killed those people by trying the sub in the Blake Sea for themselves. And... being IM'd and asked if you know anything about killing submariners and can they mis-quote you.

Hey Ho.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Yeah just what we need.

"Creaky old Video game used for cheap training may have caused fatal high profile accident"

Followed by the slight increase in concurrency as reporters come here to see if SL killed those people by trying the sub in the Blake Sea for themselves. And... being IM'd and asked if you know anything about killing submariners and can they mis-quote you.

Hey Ho.

Yep, pretty much my thought.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Thanks for that .. I bought one .. these comments from users on MP though .. :D

Just proves though what is already commonly known : SL is anything but an actual simulator to RL.  I'd also avoid RL driving instructors of any means of transportation in RL based purely on SL instructions .. :|

Edited by Ted McGregor
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Oh excellent.

That is pretty crazy, I could see it being used as a sort of demonstration for students, but as so far as to actually train people before they pilot the physical sub itself, that should have used a much more elaborate setup.  Imagine teaching people how to fly using SL, then sending them on their merry way on a real aircraft.  

I hope this was not actually used for real training sessions before sending people off in the Titan.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Istelathis said:

That is pretty crazy, I could see it being used as a sort of demonstration for students, but as so far as to actually train people before they pilot the physical sub itself, that should have used a much more elaborate setup.  Imagine teaching people how to fly using SL, then sending them on their merry way on a real aircraft.  

I hope this was not actually used for real training sessions before sending people off in the Titan.

it's unclear to me what is meant by "students" here, but the LBC quotes an Oceangate "spokesperson":

"The spokesperson also revealed that virtual simulation was chosen in order to reduce the cost of training up crew members, which would typically cost $20,000 per day.

"OceanGate can use this virtual environment to teach trainees about the possible physical applications for the Cyclops 1...and learn how to operate the submersible vehicle" she said."

So, I don't know . . . what seems most likely is that it was used to showcase the trips for prospective customers?

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Oh excellent.

One thing amused me though, the author of that article claims the exchange rate is 350 L$ to the USD...

So obviously THAT journalist didn't actually come here to fact-find, right?

• Like 3

Peeve : Indecisive insecurity.

So I bought the Titan from MP. Do I need extra scuba gear or heavy armour ?  And ... just a small fact ... where in SL can I get the same hydraulic pressure as in RL ? ... :|

Edited by Ted McGregor
  • Like 1

Just now, Ted McGregor said:

Peeve : Indecisive insecurity.

So I bought the Titan from MP. Do I need extra scuba gear or heavy armour ?  And where in SL can I get the same hydraulic pressure as in RL ? ... :|

Just buy a bento mer tail, then if the sub implodes you can breath LL water just fine until the SLCG goon squad arrive and accuse you of being a griefer because you're on the seabed without diving gear.

• Like 2

Just now, Zalificent Corvinus said:

What? You expect ME to understand how this breathing stuff works? Seriously?

My expectation of YOU is that you take a liking to playing with fire instead of water.

I could be mistaken.

27 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

The sub was apparently controlled via a game controller, I wouldn't rule anything out about what this was used for.

I'm feeling sick to my stomach, this is not the kind of PR SL needs.

Not just a game controller (which I learned are actually modded and used for a varity of things, from professional drone control to defusing bombs), but a cheap, off-brand controller.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

The sub was apparently controlled via a game controller, I wouldn't rule anything out about what this was used for.

I'm feeling sick to my stomach, this is not the kind of PR SL needs.

5 minutes ago, Syo Emerald said:

Not just a game controller (which I learned are actually modded and used for a varity of things, from professional drone control to defusing bombs), but a cheap, off-brand controller.

I guess it's safe to assume then people will blame SL for Titan's demise as much as they will blame game-controllers, even the cheap ones, for it. I mean the Titan would neither have survived with a brand new PS5-controller built-in.

Edited by Ted McGregor
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ted McGregor said:

I guess it's safe to assume then people will blame SL for Titan's demise as much as they will blame game-controllers, even the cheap ones, for it. I mean the Titan would neither have survived with a brand new PS5 built-in.

Ignoring the gallows humour for a moment, there is a real possibility of this tainting SL even more in the uninformed public's view.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ted McGregor said:

I guess it's safe to assume then people will blame SL for Titan's demise as much as they will blame game-controllers, even the cheap ones, for it. I mean the Titan would neither have survived with a brand new PS5-controller built-in.

When the whole Titan story was still hot news, I saw nobody blame the controller. It was mentioned so often, because it stood out as the most balant and visual example for the extensive corner cutting the man behind the project did. He wasn't trying to be cost-effective, he was cheap to an absurd degree.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Gabriele Graves said:

Ignoring the gallows humour for a moment, there is a real possibility of this tainting SL even more in the uninformed public's view.

I'm unsure you are aware how much there's left of SL's 'street cred' anyway. Also unsure if it's something to really worry over.

7 minutes ago, Syo Emerald said:

Logitech controllers might be offbrand but IMHO were a solid choice, however the decision to use it in wireless mode sounds stupid to me even if they had spares as they claimed.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I think the public would be most suprised that SL still exists.

Peeve : Focus.

The problem and tragedy with the Titan is not wether SL get's a bad rep over misrepresentation by simulation, but that people trust devices with their very own lives which have not withstood rigorous real life proof and testing.

Edited by Ted McGregor
  • Like 2