Voice Chat not working anymore after Firestorm Update to version 6.5.6

Subsonic Oh

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 106 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Well, all I can say, my headset perfectly works at Discord and Voice Chat in Firestorm also worked perfectly before I had to update my viewer.

In the previous version I've lost the ability to use Media - this is working on the current version - but I lost the ability to voice which really sucks.

Yes, Voice Chat is enabled in the settings, and all settings at "Sound" -> "Voice Chat" look fine for me. There's just one strange thing there. When I click the "device settings" button, I see "Input" and "output" grey and it says "Please wait" next to the volume slider.

I also deactivated voice and enabled it again after a few minutes - didn't help.

Oh, and of course I see Voice Chat is activated on our sim.

Btw, this strance "Output" device name is stupid. I can select my Logitech headset at "sounds" and can hear music and sounds on my headset.

Any ideas?

___voice.JPG

Edited by Subsonic Oh
one thing forgotten, added.

20 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Ricardo Skotadi said:

Did you manage to solve the problem?  I seem to have a similar issue. I have a Mac computer 

Not solved yet. I will receive my massive hardware upgrade probably on friday and will switch to Windows 11 then as well as a complete fresh installation of Firestorm. Maybe this could fix that problem then. Will keep you updated.

16 hours ago, Subsonic Oh said:

Not solved yet. I will receive my massive hardware upgrade probably on friday and will switch to Windows 11 then as well as a complete fresh installation of Firestorm. Maybe this could fix that problem then. Will keep you updated.

Really appreciated. Very grateful. Good luck with your new hardware upgrade :)

There seem to be more people having trouble with Voice lately, but it's not at all clear that the problem is the new version of Firestorm.

Subsonic, and Ricardo: Please open Task Manager on your PC and see if slvoice.exe is listed and enabled. If it's not present, then your antivirus may be looking at it as a "threat" and quarantining it. Please whitelist Firestorm.exe and slvoice.exe in your antivirus software, and make sure your firewall is set to allow them as well.

• Like 1

Hi Lindal,

I agree that it may not be firestorm at all. But I do have high hopes for the latest update just released. Alas, I won’t have an opportunity to install it until next week to find out. I also run firestorm on my iMac so the anti virus software is built in and there’s no task manager as such. The trouble I have with voice is that it is very unclear and very garbled - only just understandable. I have fiddled with all settings to no avail. And outside SL/firestorm it works perfectly well eg Skype, discord, hangouts etc. 

I came across a thread linked to users of voice and Macs some weeks ago which was very useful. Having lost all voice following a firestorm update, the thread explained how to restore it. It worked but has been less than perfect ever since. 

Thanks,

Ricardo 

Its a Vivrox issue I, am currently dealing with that same problem right now.
You'll have voice eventually again even after a relog and it will be gone again.
There is not much you can really do about it I, have not even updated to the newest version of Firestorm yet.
Changing somethings will help but you'll probably end back up at square 1 till they fix the issue itself especially "after you log off".

Discord & other voice platforms are a suggestion as an alternative to Second Lifes voice server called Vivrox.
In my opinion it sucks but it is better than nothing at all.

If they fix the issue it could take a week maybe less not everyone is effected I, assume that is cause not everyone is on the same Vivrox Server.

I am using Firestorm 6.6.3 and I can not get voice to work. Even going to that sound sim mentioned in https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_voice.

I tried in the Second Life basic viewer, which is a fresh install last month for testing something else, and also no voice.

The microphone works fine with everything else non-SL of course. Am also using W11.

My settings were on default and I been messing around, but no change.

Like Subsonic's image, my Firestorm's SOUND > VOICE > Audio Device Settings do not let me change the drop downs of input and output. Mine stuck on "default."

I was having problem with my microphone on sl but it was enable, I have that lighted point over my avatar head.

I found out that the problem was my input sound that was too low. It seems that there is more than one control to the volume in Windows 11 and it took me a while to find the tab,, When I do the volume test it was on 5%. If you make a search on youtube you will find some videos about it.

Now my input sound test is 85% and my microphone is working perfectly.

I hope it can help.

Edited by kriskaYan
  • Like 1

I've used Firestorm for over 6 years and have never gotten voice to work at all. I've done absolutely everything, installed 32-bit libraries, fiddled around in my audio settings under the hood, all of it, nothing ever works. It's just the only viewer I use, so I do without voice.

a fix my BF used was to do the following, worked for me:

• Go to Preferences → Sound & Media → Voice, and untick “Enable Voice.”
  • Relog.
  • Wait 10-20 seconds, or until the viewer has finished rezzing the scene.
  • Re-enable voice.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 106 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.