Dogs that you can walk on a leash?

MissV82

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 647 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

58 minutes ago, MissV82 said:

Thanks! Is it only the dogs that have leash included ??

It's not even all their dogs. Just 5 of them have leashes: Doberman, Rottweiler, Pitbull, Great Dane and Labrador.

I'm guessing that there's some kind of animation issue limiting it to the biggest dogs only.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

It's not even all their dogs. Just 5 of them have leashes: Doberman, Rottweiler, Pitbull, Great Dane and Labrador.

I'm guessing that there's some kind of animation issue limiting it to the biggest 

I noticed that too and from what I am reading the leash is just to hold in your hand you can't actually walk the dog on it. 😐

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, MissV82 said:

I noticed that too and from what I am reading the leash is just to hold in your hand you can't actually walk the dog on it. 😐

This is true. I have the Doberman and was incredibly disappointed to find out all I could do was hold the leash in my own hand. 

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, MissV82 said:

That's very disappointing.

Logically, I think the only way it could be done would be the same way a slave collar/leash works; with a stream of particles. You'd need to attach something (like a collar) at the dog's end though, so it can only be done if the dog is Mod. And I don't even think that would work if the dog is animated; you'd find the dog going through its animations and the collar stays still.

Which leaves one sure fire way in which it's definitely possible; Find another person who has a dog avatar and wants to roleplay being your pet.

12 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Too bad animesh pets can't use rlv.  😆

.. .. So what you do is, you make an alt, get it a nice dog avi, pop a collar on it, and then you can drag it around by a leash!

But then, the 'leash' part of RLV isn't actually an RLV exclusive function by any means. You don't even need RLV to make attaching leashes. It's just a particle emitter (I say 'just', I don't have the first clue how they work). So technically there shouldn't be any issue having a particle emitter in a collar on a dog that projects (?) its particles to a receiver on your hand. I think. Or the other way around? I mean if it works between non-RLV collars and cuffs and, ahem, certain sorts of stuff found under the 'home and furniture' section .. 

• Like 2

Synching animations between two entities (be they avatars or animesh) just isn't reliable enough to be an effective solution.

I imagine the best way to create a convincing walkable pet would be as a non-animesh attachment that includes a full set of custom animations for both the avatar and the pet, repurposing the excess bones (i.e. wings, hind legs, tail) in the bento skeleton to create the bones for the pet.  That way both entities are using the same armature so there would be no need to synch animations and the leash can be part of the same rigged mesh object rather than a stream of particles.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Orwar said:

.. .. So what you do is, you make an alt, get it a nice dog avi, pop a collar on it, and then you can drag it around by a leash!

30 minutes ago, Kalegthepsionicist said:

what about you make avatar dog and put collar rlv . and then run 2 viewer ?

This is probably the best way. At least then you don't have to worry about your friend/pet not being online when you want them to be.

• Like 1

On a side note, the Rezz room leash attachment does animate the avatar, and can be used with any combination of animal.

For free roaming dogs, I've found Realistek's were the most functional. Great for RP sims that allow pets, as these dogs can be set to follow your avatar, roam around, sit or follow others. I recall the collar's were moddable, with a little scripting you could create a particle leash.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/39964

The original VKC dogs were brilliantly scripted, they could do just about anything. They even had a rudimentary Pathfinding function so you could teach them tricks and routines. But they are made of sculpts and prims and they look very dated now. I wish the creator had updated them, or collaborated with a mesh maker.

• Like 1

Virtual Kennel Club dogs still look great to me, but then I'm an old fashioned girl who still prefers flexi hair.

I never bought one because I didn't like their pricing model. Each time someone bought one, the price of that breed went up for the next buyer.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 647 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.