Can people place builds/objects in the sky over my land?

shinpachi99

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 603 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, I'm a first time land owner.  I was wondering if people can leave their builds in the sky above me (I'm on the mainland and have no groups or covenants).  Also, if they do this, or if neighbours overlap into the airspace above me, does it take from my prim count? 
Thanks.

• Like 1

If you have the land set with a non-zero auto-return interval ("Objects" tab of "About Land"), anything not owned by you nor set to whatever group the land is set to will be returned to the object owner's Lost & Found folder once it's been there longer than that interval. (Careful when you first set it that you don't return anything you wanted to keep!)

Other "Options" settings on the land to disable Build and Object Entry can be useful, too, but there are ways these can "leak" whereas auto-return pretty much just works.

Stuff that originates on another parcel but encroaches on yours can be returned manually. Right-click and choose Return. Especially in the case of such encroachment, if it looks like an honest mistake, it will usually be more neighborly to let them know about it and give 'em a chance to tidy up themselves before you return it by force

Encroaching items don't count towards your parcel's prim count, in contrast to items that are rooted over your parcel. All of an object's land impact applies to whichever parcel contains the 0,0,0 origin of its root prim.

• Like 5

I would add that if the encroachment doesn't affect you, I would not worry about it. I would go so far as to say allowing a little encroachment allows you to too and that can enhance what you can do.

There are "sky domes" that people commonly use to create a pretty view around their parcel. So long as they aren't causing a problem  by using your prims or put so they overlap with something you have in then they can be nice to use. Dreamer creations do some nice ones.

You can't really return other peoples encroaching stuff and expect them to allow you to encroach too.  

• Like 5

Common overlapping objects are branches/leaves. They usually do not count against your prim limit. Often it looks more natural if each others branches overlap into the other parcel and both are gonna profit. If you yourself place a tree on your parcel and you notice that your branches are reaching into the other's parcel without affecting them obviously negatively, send them a message next time you see them and ask them if it's okay. I haven't gotten a negative response to that one yet.

In General you can check via World/Parcel Details/Objects if there are any objects owned by others on your parcel. If you aren't agreeing on an overlapping object it's best to let them know and ask them to fix it. I'm not saying that you need this advice but still I'm stating that you're most successful interacting with neighbors (and everyone else) when being polite and respectful even if the mistake is on them.

• Like 4

Check to see in (About Land -> About Parcel) what objects are in your parcel. If you see any that don't belong to you, those are indeed using your Land Impact allotment and you can return them right then by clicking on their names and returning them. If you haven't already set your land so only you or people in your land group can rez on it or allow Object Entry, you should do so.

As others have said above, a tree branch or phantom skybox edge isn't generally considered a problem worth returning your neighbor's object, but you could do that by clicking on their object and returning it. If it's a big object sticking over your land, then this is a problem in my opinion. It's always best to start with a politely worded note to neighbors about potential conflicts. If they don't respond in a timely fashion, then you're well within your rights to just return it.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Zidaya Zenovka said:

I remember coming across one place that had this huge black sphere jutting out from their land above the highway. Turns out they'd put a huge beach house up there and don't seem to care that it's not only a huge eyesore it's over land they don't own. 

If it's below 1000m, return it if it's over your land, and file an abuse report if it's over Linden land. That's overdoing it.

If you do encroachments, they should look like they belong there. Joining driveways to roads, trees which stretch over Linden roads, and landscaping to smooth out irregular parcel boundaries does not seem to generate complaints.

Stuff which gives you more useful area than you paid for, no. Low altitude sky junk that encroaches, no. In Bellessaria, low altitude sky junk is prohibited by covenant. Some of us would like to see that for all mainland.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 603 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.