None of the online friends visible as online in SL, but they show up only after sending an IM.

MeshPromo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 293 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have this issue since today morning.

I can see the usual friends online in dashboard. https://secondlife.com/my/?lang=en-US

Once I go to SL, can't see any of them online.

But when I send any of them an IM, they suddenly show as online.

It is possible some people set themselves invisible by uncheck "see when I am online".

But in my case, its not possible all of my friends did it at once. Besides one of my best friend who regularly voice chat with me in discord confirmed she didn't do it at all.

I wonder is this just me or if any others have the same issue. If so we can send a ticket.

This is a known bug, dating back from several months already. Whenever a simulator runs for 3 or 4 days straight (i.e. without any restart during this period), your friends list shows everyone as offline whenever you log in in it. Logging in in another simulator (that was restarted recently enough) will show that this is indeed not an issue on your end, since your online friends will then appear as they should.

The only solution, for now, is to ask support to restart the region (mine gets restarted twice a week, every week for this reason)...

LL is aware of this bug and ”working on it”...

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Targyn said:

I have had this happen to me off and on over time and usually if I relog my friends list will show online.  it makes me crazy especially if I have just looked at dashboard.  I hope this helps.

The bug is server side: if relogging fixes it, it's not the same bug we are speaking about... The only ”fix” for the server-side bug is to restart the sim.

The mainland sim I'm living, was restarted yesterday and it seems the friendlist is back online at inworld. One of friends unfriended me for turning them invisible and now I can see why that happened.

Edited by MeshPromo

• 2 weeks later...

This is yet another of these "now you see it, now you don't" bugs that have plagued SL for years.  It seems to be having a bit of a resurgence of late and I suspect that no-one at LL (or anyone else really) has much of a clue as to how it could be fixed.  That it may or may not disappear if the region on which the observe experiences this is restarted is mere happenstance.

It's a legacy of the arcane and archaic archetecture of SecondLife.

Edited by Aishagain

On 8/14/2022 at 9:12 PM, Aishagain said:

This is yet another of these "now you see it, now you don't" bugs

This has got to be a "now you see it, now you still see it" bug! It's occurring pretty well every log in. It's suggested that it might be a region/server issue. Let's see what things look like after the restarts this week.

Someone must have feed the bug, it's getting bigger.

Today: two friends are online, for both the other is not seen as online on the FL.

Adam sends an IM to Bertha. Bertha shows still as offline and does not receive the message.

Now Bertha messages to Adam, who appears as online then. He gets the message. His reply is still not visible for Bertha.

Mutual communication was only possible after both were standing next to each other on the same sim and he addresses her via the cake menu.

• 10 months later...

This is Written from My Experience and Observations

For almost a YEAR, (note message from SL in fact: "You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 317 days."), this extremely annoying problem continues.

But don't worry, they are aware of it!  And all we're getting are excuses and tricks to try... almost a year later-- well, just shy of a year by 2 months.

Second Life being a Social Platform in a Virtual Setting, this problem is an absolute roadblock and should be given a higher priority to repair.

It's quite obvious something in your system coding (be it FireStorm or Second Life) has gone screwy.

It's not up to us to fix it, but our dues and tiers will still be paid-- no discounts for inconveniences.

FOR THE RECORD:

The region on which I reside HAS BEEN RESTARTED in less than 4 days.  Knock that incorrect theory/excuse/fix-it off the suggestions, please.  It's lame.

07/06/23 I attempted the "Fixes" suggested by FS (here) and in speaking with other inworld residents.  NONE OF ANY OF IT WORKED.

I even went to Hippo Hollow and cleared cache, relogged and still opened up a friends list with no one showing online.  I tp'd home and relogged again.  Still no friends show onine.  I relogged 1 last time and STILL NO FRIENDS SHOWING HIGHLIGHTED ONLINE.

I don't know how this can be allowed to continue for almost a year with no resolution within the biggest online Social Virtual Community.

It should be an embarrassment to Second Life as a whole.

So, why ya draggin' yer feets on this, folksies?  That's kinda defeating the purpose of the platform, ain't it?

Somebody's gotta be smart enough to fix this...  C'mon, yer killin' me Smalls.

I am recently experiencing the same issue.  Since I am reading that it is a sim issue I went to another sim and then logged off.

I then logged back in using Last Location and then checked my Friends listing.  All online friends are showing.

I left a message for the owner where I live to restart the sim when she gets a chance.  She is not presently online.

Will see what happens when she does a sim restart.

17 minutes ago, Namuri said:

I have the opposite problem to this. I no longer see some of my friends on the Dashboard, they have disappeared, but if I log into SL I still find them in my friendlist.
Is it a new bug?

If you don't see certain friends on the dashboard at all, i.e. they are missing completely and not just shown as offline, then they have unchecked their online status for you. It's not a bug, but a "feature". If they are there, but shown as offline, then it's related to the still ongoing issue.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, steeljane42 said:

If you don't see certain friends on the dashboard at all, i.e. they are missing completely and not just shown as offline, then they have unchecked their online status for you.

I understand, thank you. I suspected something like that. It means that if they want to hide I will remove them from the In World friendlist. Thanks again.

8 hours ago, steeljane42 said:

If you don't see certain friends on the dashboard at all, i.e. they are missing completely and not just shown as offline, then they have unchecked their online status for you. It's not a bug, but a "feature". If they are there, but shown as offline, then it's related to the still ongoing issue.

5 hours ago, Namuri said:

I understand, thank you. I suspected something like that. It means that if they want to hide I will remove them from the In World friendlist. Thanks again.

Hiding your online status does not hide you from the dashboard.

9 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Hiding your online status does not hide you from the dashboard.

That's not what he said. He said unchecking the eye in world so that you appear offline to specific people. You disappear from their friends list. I had a friend do this to me for no reason. So I just unfriended him, problem solved. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Robberinthemuseum said:

That's not what he said. He said unchecking the eye in world so that you appear offline to specific people. You disappear from their friends list. I had a friend do this to me for no reason. So I just unfriended him, problem solved. 

Yeah, I understood and that's what I was referring to. It doesn't make you disappear from that person's friend list or dashboard.

Edit: My mistake, I was thinking of something else. I found an old thread from a couple years ago where I was talking about the dashboard, so I should've known.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

1 hour ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Yeah, I understood and that's what I was referring to. It doesn't make you disappear from that person's friend list or dashboard.

It does (from the dashboard that is). Feel free to test with an alt. It has been the case since I started SL in 2012. Probably way longer than that.

But to clarify, I didn't mean the general online status one can hide from the preferences, but the online status visibility from the friends list where location and objects edit rights are.

Edit

cPzaLCb.jpg

Edited by steeljane42
typos
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 293 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.