Got asked about why I talk/rant/blather on so much (as an artist) about avatar proportions ...

Katherine Heartsong

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 786 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

OK, first off, the "size" of a non human mesh avatar can be wildly off by prim size measurement AND by the viewer. It measures the skeleton. Most non human mesh avatars use a deformer to get the correct shape of the skeleton. Which can give weird measurements. 

Secondly, please dont post links to stolen/ripped game content. That av is the property of DC comic and is ripped from one of their games. 

Height in SL has been defined by LL. They set the ruler. A prim is the best way to measure your height as its measurements are defined by LL. A 1m cube is a 1m cube no matter what sim you rez it on. If your height , measured by prim, says 2m then your av is 2m tall. I dont care what the viewer says. The viewer doesn't measure your mesh, it measures your skeleton. I have a dragon av that the viewer says i am 3m tall.. The av is over 12m long, so which is correct? 

[redacted] Technics used for non humans may be used for humans too .whatever the reason . Only bits are  important  . I have tested the mesh  : there was no deformer  . In addition what is a deformer if it s not a mesh rigged ?

Someone who would have built his own avatar without paying the plugin form blender , avastar created by an user  could have the same result in getting in worl a value displayed in the forestorm editor different than his "visual height"

If height has been defined by Sl , so Firestirm is wrong : when  lsl scripts report by llhGetagentsize 1.80 , firestorm diisplays 2.00

But we agree both than visual spects is not equal to the height displayed by the editor . So there is no eason to complain for the OP about tall male avatars  

Edited by Quartz Mole
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Miranda Umino said:

Technics used for non humans may be used for humans too .whatever the reason . Only bits are  important  . I have tested the mesh  : there was no deformer  . In addition what is a deformer if it s not a mesh rigged ?

Someone who would have built his own avatar without paying the plugin form blender , avastar created by an user  could have the same result in getting in worl a value displayed in the forestorm editor different than his "visual height"

If height has been defined by Sl , so Firestirm is wrong : when  lsl scripts report by llhetagentsize 1.80 , firestorm diisplays 2.00

You tell "A 1m cube is a 1m cube no matter what sim you rez it on." Ok . I need to rez 5 cubes of 0.5 meter for the avatar i have submitted . The firestorm editor display 2.17 meters . Since when 0.5 *5 = 2.17 ?

Take off the mesh, leave the shape on and then measure yourself. I would be willing to bet you arent 2.5m tall. The mesh isnt measured by the viewer, the skeleton is. You have ZERO clue as to what you are trying to say. 

Height is defined by prim measurement, there has always been a difference between the actual by prim measurement and what the SL viewer says you are. The Firestorm viewer tries to take that difference into account. 

Edited by Quartz Mole
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Take off the mesh, leave the shape on and then measure yourself. I would be willing to bet you arent 2.5m tall. The mesh isnt measured by the viewer, the skeleton is. You have ZERO clue as to what you are trying to say. 

Height is defined by prim measurement, there has always been a difference between the actual by prim measurement and what the SL viewer says you are. The Firestorm viewer tries to take that difference into account. 

And have you the apperance of a dragon when you wear off the mesh of your dragon ? 

I don  t see the tries done by firestorm : anyway it fails totally

Edited by Miranda Umino
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Miranda Umino said:

[redacted] Technics used for non humans may be used for humans too .whatever the reason . Only bits are  important  . I have tested the mesh  : there was no deformer  . In addition what is a deformer if it s not a mesh rigged ?

If height has been defined by Sl , so Firestirm is wrong : when  lsl scripts report by llhGetagentsize 1.80 , firestorm diisplays 2.00

But we agree both than visual spects is not equal to the height displayed by the editor . So there is no eason to complain for the OP about tall male avatars  

The problem is, if you think your avatar is a certain height in the SL viewer, it is actually taller than it says in the appearance floater as I've demonstrated in this comparison.  Measure against a prim measuring device, it clearly shows Firestorm is giving the correct actual height of my avatar while the LL view is showing me as much shorter.  

On 7/10/2022 at 2:24 PM, Rowan Amore said:

Just did a little test in Firestorm viewer...d1b27b6bc07871e351532aa411e69076.png.c48d0aaad08147f96e97469bd3f5b68d.png

And in the official LL viewer...

1826207cd1f74db449095cc400ea9048.png.cd3b87f0ead9be61bdc1ad4f51f64462.png

So, it would seem it's the LL viewer that is off? 

42 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

First time I've seem this...

image.png.885034455fb09a2c8782b8a82dcadf61.png

@Ceka Cianci Actually I don't recall either Firestorm or SL wikis having a good explanation of avatar height.  At least not at the level we are talking. There are however a number of blog articles around that do explain it.

I was giving a direction away from me, that's all.

The topic is avatar proportions and height, not agent proportions and agent height..I was just saying Firestorm and a prim come closer in measuring avatar height, the SL viewer is closer in agent height.

Rather than risk my account any further, I'm out.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2022 at 8:45 AM, Charalyne Blackwood said:

SL couples dance animations don't work for that. The short avi will be floating several inches off the floor. Not so much the height difference as how SL handles it.

Haha, I dance best with my alts then lol... none of my males are taller than 6.5 feet. Myself and my female/Trans alts are typically 5.5 feet or so... then again I consider myself bi-whatever in world so 🤷‍♀️😎👍

(Most of the time I dance solo at clubs when I feel like TPing to one so the height difference doesn't really bother me.)

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 786 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.