Just wondering...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 820 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, Silent Mistwalker said:

That is why I refuse to work in that capacity for any corporation that isn't closely held. Which excludes any large or medium sized corporation. I do my best work in small offices where everything runs like a well oiled machine. *cracks her whip* Get to work! 😁

Where is this?!?! Teach me your ways!!! Even the small offices I've been in were a mess of epic proportions!

No real talk - you ever worked in a place that refused to upgrade Windows? Like 2 versions behind and whatnot? That's so common I just cannot. 🤣 🤦‍♀️

5 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:
1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

ability to move around the house

So basically the same as texting while driving?  Great idea!

During setup, at least with Quest, one draws a little line around their play area -- this is the safe area where one won't crash into anything. If you traverse beyond this safe zone the room becomes visible in a black and white somewhat faded display -- much like is shown on the Infinite Office video above.  So thankfully they have made it much safer.

*Also, these huge, red gate-looking lines come into view if you're leaving the designated area.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Where is this?!?! Teach me your ways!!! Even the small offices I've been in were a mess of epic proportions!

No real talk - you ever worked in a place that refused to upgrade Windows? Like 2 versions behind and whatnot? That's so common I just cannot. 🤣 🤦‍♀️

I was the office manager and the accountant/bookkeeper. The secretary and receptionist did all the preliminary paperwork, I did the rest. The engineers and estimators weren't under me. Everyone else were supervisors, foremen and construction workers.

Yep. All of the large corps I've worked for have been that way. Getting them to upgrade from 98 was impossible for a long time. Only one actually upgraded within a reasonable amount of time. The rest only upgraded to Windows 7 and dug their heels in. I think one has since upgraded to 10. None have 11.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I was the office manager and the accountant/bookkeeper. The secretary and receptionist did all the preliminary paperwork, I did the rest. The engineers and estimators weren't under me. Everyone else were supervisors, foremen and construction workers.

Oh that is very small, yup! My smallest place had a few admins and a boss who didn't even know how to work the printer. I can't tell you how irrationally angry that made me btw. Dude's making a bajillion dollars and couldn't print. 😒

10 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Yep. All of the large corps I've worked for have been that way. Getting them to upgrade from 98 was impossible for a long time. Only one actually upgraded within a reasonable amount of time. The rest only upgraded to Windows 7 and dug their heels in. I think one has since upgraded to 10. None have 11.

When I first encountered that, I told myself it had to be the costs. Then I really thought about it after seeing it over and over and said nah man, these are whole corporations, there is no way they can't afford to upgrade Windows for everyone in this office, what gives?

Funny enough, being a temp taught me to not fear anything or anyone, so at one place, I decided to start asking my boss a lot of questions. Why are things so inefficient? Why am I copying and FAXING (or worse, mailing) copies of manuals to customers instead of emailing them PDFs? Why don't you let me digitize our entire manual library and work with the product team to get everything online? What is all this shenanigans? My boss loved the ideas and initiative, but the other departments he directed me to to get approvals to do all of this were...not so thrilled at being called out. Tough noogies! Y'all are a mess! But nope - they refused to let us bring them into the 21st century. 😒

It's why I giggle when I see all of Meta's biiiiig ideas for virtual conferences and VR meetings and whatnot. So many companies out there still clinging to Windows 7 and fax machines, stop pretending they're going to adopt future tech/VR. 😂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Windows 7 and fax machines

Don't ignore the few still using Windows 2000 and Windows XP.  I have a client that has over 40 analog phone lines with facsimile machines on them.  In some locations you stand by one 'fax' machine and see others nearby.  I have even seen people 'fax' stuff 20 feet down a hallway.  At the time I was hoping they were testing the machines, but I have since been informed they were copying blank forms to be filled in by hand.  The photocopier was broken at the time.  Can you guess what this business operation is?  I'll help:  No, it is not a petroleum refinery.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ardy Lay said:

Don't ignore the few still using Windows 2000 and Windows XP.  I have a client that has over 40 analog phone lines with facsimile machines on them.  In some locations you stand by one 'fax' machine and see others nearby.  I have even seen people 'fax' stuff 20 feet down a hallway.  At the time I was hoping they were testing the machines, but I have since been informed they were copying blank forms to be filled in by hand.  The photocopier was broken at the time.  Can you guess what this business operation is?  I'll help:  No, it is not a petroleum refinery.

I was actually going to say Windows XP in my post, but I figured that most companies would be on 7 by now, at least? Maybe? LOL!

What you describe could honestly be anywhere! The only place I worked where faxing still made sense was a health insurance company (maybe?). We were told that faxing medical records (for their yearly audits) was More Secure(tm) than using email? I honestly don't know.

By far, the worst thing I've ever had to do on the job, though, was manually copy a hard copy form with a freaking typewriter. A. Freaking. Typewriter.

Can't I just photocopy... NOPE!

Can't I just scan this in and... NOPE! We need it retyped!

But...what year is this?! 😲

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I was actually going to say Windows XP in my post, but I figured that most companies would be on 7 by now, at least? Maybe? LOL!

What you describe could honestly be anywhere! The only place I worked where faxing still made sense was a health insurance company (maybe?). We were told that faxing medical records (for their yearly audits) was More Secure(tm) than using email? I honestly don't know.

By far, the worst thing I've ever had to do on the job, though, was manually copy a hard copy form with a freaking typewriter. A. Freaking. Typewriter.

Can't I just photocopy... NOPE!

Can't I just scan this in and... NOPE! We need it retyped!

But...what year is this?! 😲

Yes!  The reason they have the facsimile machines everywhere is to send documents to medical insurance companies.  You win!

I am told the forms must be hand filled and signed then 'faxed'.  I noticed they are not using secured 'fax' machines.

Edited by Ardy Lay
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ardy Lay said:

Yes!  The reason they have the facsimile machines everywhere is to send documents to medical insurance companies.  You win!

LMAO. Yeah, healthcare is the one industry that will never let go of those dang fax machines. Secured email was used on occasion, but the higher ups weren't fond of it. They really preferred those doctors' offices fax in 100s of pages at once. For the ones that were hesitant or had way too many records to do that with, they had a team of nurses on contract that would drive out and pick them up or do their reviews on-site, LOL. Geeeeeeeeez.

1 minute ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

LMAO. Yeah, healthcare is the one industry that will never let go of those dang fax machines. Secured email was used on occasion, but the higher ups weren't fond of it. They really preferred those doctors' offices fax in 100s of pages at once. For the ones that were hesitant or had way too many records to do that with, they had a team of nurses on contract that would drive out and pick them up or do their reviews on-site, LOL. Geeeeeeeeez.

Maybe they don't like email spam.  Maybe there is a fraud control in there.  I can say that the phone call carrying the facsimile transaction will be traceable, in USA.  That's part of my job.  Don't let the scammers tell you they are untraceable.

Or, maybe, just maybe, it's a throttling mechanism.... for.... reasons.

What the insurance company representative I asked said:  It's to maintain confidentiality of patient information and to have proof of signatures.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Funny enough, being a temp taught me to not fear anything or anyone, so at one place, I decided to start asking my boss a lot of questions. Why are things so inefficient? Why am I copying and FAXING (or worse, mailing) copies of manuals to customers instead of emailing them PDFs? Why don't you let me digitize our entire manual library and work with the product team to get everything online? What is all this shenanigans? My boss loved the ideas and initiative, but the other departments he directed me to to get approvals to do all of this were...not so thrilled at being called out. Tough noogies! Y'all are a mess! But nope - they refused to let us bring them into the 21st century. 😒

The office I ran did things the old fashioned way on most things as far as operations went. Other things... not so much. Everyone made the coffee, including the president. To my specifications! 😉

• Like 1

There are some things everyone, including businesses, should keep hard copies of. Those hard copies are all you have if a system fails, and information is wiped. It's why I always keep a set of real paper ledgers and not just the program output. It's rare but there have been times when the end results between my books and the program didn't match. The program was in error and it wasn't due to user input. 

Some changes aren't always for the best.

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

Just for giggles...

I realize you posted that to laugh at and try to convince others how ridiculous it is because of people's reactions but to me while I think a lot of the incidents were funny, it kept striking me how immersed people were from putting on the headset. I can be pretty involved in Secondlife with a regular monitor and even the Lumiya VR option was pretty good before the Lab buggered up that mobile viewer, but never to the extent that the players in the video did. I am of the opinion that if the Lab put some development into a VR viewer, they could attract a fair few new users and give existing creators new lines of products and experiences to work on. That might even give existing users enough of an interest that they don't need to multitask to keep from getting bored within  S/L itself because that is what multitasking is often about. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I realize you posted that to laugh at and try to convince others how ridiculous it is because of people's reactions but to me while I think a lot of the incidents were funny, it kept striking me how immersed people were from putting on the headset. I can be pretty involved in Secondlife with a regular monitor and even the Lumiya VR option was pretty good before the Lab buggered up that mobile viewer, but never to the extent that the players in the video did. I am of the opinion that if the Lab put some development into a VR viewer, they could attract a fair few new users and give existing creators new lines of products and experiences to work on. That might even give existing users enough of an interest that they don't need to multitask to keep from getting bored within  S/L itself because that is what multitasking is often about. 

Yes, this can be very true and a point I make to some VR advocates. Of course I would never say VR is less immersive than a desktop - it's just that I've gamed for years and know when I am immersed versus not.

In some scary games, it could be as simple as turning off all the lights in the room and the only viewport being the screen - yikes.

Or just becoming focused on a FPS game and being 'dialed in' and no one's stopping you.

The advantage of no VR of course is that you can immediately get up and go make a cup of coffee, or respond to an email without all the extra work of removing the equipment.

I'm not in a hurry for VR simply because I guess the immersive benefit doesn't outweigh the cons for ME personally as a multitasker, getting up and down from workstation working in different software and engines etc.. would only be for 100% leisure time (which is rare for a creative because there is ALWAYS something to make, learn, improve hard for us to actually enjoy something as leisure) :D

37 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

Yes, this can be very true and a point I make to some VR advocates. Of course I would never say VR is less immersive than a desktop - it's just that I've gamed for years and know when I am immersed versus not.

In some scary games, it could be as simple as turning off all the lights in the room and the only viewport being the screen - yikes.

Or just becoming focused on a FPS game and being 'dialed in' and no one's stopping you.

The advantage of no VR of course is that you can immediately get up and go make a cup of coffee, or respond to an email without all the extra work of removing the equipment.

I'm not in a hurry for VR simply because I guess the immersive benefit doesn't outweigh the cons for ME personally as a multitasker, getting up and down from workstation working in different software and engines etc.. would only be for 100% leisure time (which is rare for a creative because there is ALWAYS something to make, learn, improve hard for us to actually enjoy something as leisure) :D

I'm not advocating for a VR only viewer but the option for those interested that is recognized and added to by the Lab itself. I don't believe the Lab's 'abandoned for technical reasons" excuse because it was already being done by an android mobile viewer and then a Firestorm derivative. Let's face it, if S/l can't develop anything of interest to attract and retain new users, the time will come when the market you create for will just shrink more and more until you leave for more lucrative markets that may require you to join Facebook!

To me the Lab's unwillingness to develop either a VR or Mobile viewer is just a sign they are in an end of life phase where they only do basic bug squashing and anything that furthers their milking of the general population without adding anything of substance in the way of new and innovative development for the regular residents. How long can that really last?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Let's face it, if S/l can't develop anything of interest to attract and retain new users, the time will come when the market you create for will just shrink more and more until you leave for more lucrative markets that may require you to join Facebook!

Nooooooooooo! But seriously, I would just give up any 3d artistic goals if it mean I was locked into Facebook - I just wont do it.

21 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Just for giggles...

Too funny. Ahh to be a VR Virgin again with such enthusiasm. Though I can't say I was so emotionally expressive myself, I certainly felt the confusion in my brain in the beginning when for a split second I felt the simulated environment was actually real!

I do need to point out though that not all people are so emotionally expressive when encountering VR for the first time, but they aren't material for a good YouTube video I guess. 

I didn't want my daughter to feel overwhelmed when I introduced it to her and so had her sit down as I placed my hand on her shoulder. And I warned her the experience could be intense and overwhelming.  She just 'wowed' and 'omgod'ed' in the beginning, and I'll never really know how expressive she would have been had I not prepared her.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I'm not advocating for a VR only viewer but the option for those interested that is recognized and added to by the Lab itself. I don't believe the Lab's 'abandoned for technical reasons" excuse because it was already being done by an android mobile viewer and then a Firestorm derivative. Let's face it, if S/l can't develop anything of interest to attract and retain new users, the time will come when the market you create for will just shrink more and more until you leave for more lucrative markets that may require you to join Facebook!

I'd like a better VR option in SL for sure. But isn't the "technical reasons" given true at this point in time, due to the low FPS and unoptimized content that causes motion sickness?  Maybe it would be more possible in the future if higher end PC's are more common with better frame rates?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’d like to see a tablet/phone viewer that uses AR to place your avatar inside your real house. For example if you have an empty hallway, you could hold up your phone and on the screen you’d see your avatar in the hallway. There’s have to be a resizing feature though because most avatars are 7 to 9 feet tall. I think it would showcase how highly customizable avatars can be in SL and not showing the SL world should require less 3d rendering by the tablet/phone.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

I’d like to see a tablet/phone viewer that uses AR to place your avatar inside your real house. For example if you have an empty hallway, you could hold up your phone and on the screen you’d see your avatar in the hallway. There’s have to be a resizing feature though because most avatars are 7 to 9 feet tall. I think it would showcase how highly customizable avatars can be in SL and not showing the SL world should require less 3d rendering by the tablet/phone.

There is an AI app I used for awhile that put the AI's avatar wherever you want. (Not related to SL.)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Too funny. Ahh to be a VR Virgin again with such enthusiasm. Though I can't say I was so emotionally expressive myself, I certainly felt the confusion in my brain in the beginning when for a split second I felt the simulated environment was actually real!

I do need to point out though that not all people are so emotionally expressive when encountering VR for the first time, but they aren't material for a good YouTube video I guess. 

I didn't want my daughter to feel overwhelmed when I introduced it to her and so had her sit down as I placed my hand on her shoulder. And I warned her the experience could be intense and overwhelming.  She just 'wowed' and 'omgod'ed' in the beginning, and I'll never really know how expressive she would have been had I not prepared her.

Lol Luna,my grandson was my introduction.Granny you might get scared.Oh, Granny you might scream.Big grin on his face.But I loved it not even a half scream.😀

• Haha 1

The only thing I would be willing to try for VR is a flying or racing type game with realistic graphics.   In my humble opinion,  VR for SL is like going to the movie theater to watch Toy Story ...   great for some,  not my cup of tea.  :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 820 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.