Fees are too high!(?)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 832 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

28 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Dude! The post you quoted was not mine! You might want to fix it before you can't.

That happens sometimes when you quote a quote. How do you propose that I fix it? Edit the post, go back and find the original quote, and quote that instead? Wow, your tone. You ok?

*Edit* There you go, I had to create a new post. All bedr nao?

Edited by Love Zhaoying
Created a new post, because the previous post had a quote that was from a quote, so it was misattributed. The new post with the new quote should be attributed to the correct original post.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

That's where the TOS's fuzziness about whether bartering is the same as sales could have the lawyers wringing their hands with glee. If bartering is equivalent to sales,

Oh great, then we will be down to paying, I mean bartering, each other on Tuesday's for hamburgers. (Tuesday is "JWW" day, when we get stipends.)

Edited by Love Zhaoying
This post was created after an original post which had quoted the quote from someone else's post, causing the quote to be misattributed. So, this post was created long after the original post in time.

32 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:
34 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Fees too high, so barter economy.

Dude! The post you quoted was not mine! You might want to fix it before you can't.

I fixed the post by creating a new post, as the forum software will not let you add a new quote to an existing post while editing.  I had to "clear" the previous post, so I made sure to put notes in the "edit reason" regarding why I edited my post. However, I believe that your post asking me to correct my post, now has a similar issue in that it will refer to a post that no longer exists.  As does this post, quoting your post. 

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I fixed the post by creating a new post, as the forum software will not let you add a new quote to an existing post while editing.

What I do is press the quote button, click on the quote crosshairs in the top left of the quote box and press CTRL+C which then copies the quote to the clipboard.  I then start my post edit and add a extra line of two to make a bit of space near the top of my post and then CTRL+V to paste in the quote.  Seems to work well for me.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Gabriele Graves said:

What I do is press the quote button, click on the quote crosshairs in the top left of the quote box and press CTRL+C which then copies the quote to the clipboard.  I then start my post edit and add a extra line of two to make a bit of space near the top of my post and then CTRL+V to paste in the quote.  Seems to work well for me.

Hmm..

Fees too high.

I could try that next time. I'm so used to either pressing the "Quote" button, or selecting text then clicking the floating button that appears. I'll have to try Copy/Paste! Thanks!

Fees too high.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

Or people could stop getting their panties in such a twist when it really doesn't matter?  Sheesh

Oh I agree absolutely.  My advice was really for Love in case he needs to know how to copy the quote going forward.  I tend to find it useful a fair amount.

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Or people could stop getting their panties in such a twist when it really doesn't matter?  Sheesh

I would hug you like my fees, but they're too high!

964C224E-B74A-47B5-A29C-1FB10D9A60F4.jpeg

Edited by Love Zhaoying
I only remember getting "called out" for a misquote a couple times in 15,000 posts so will be kind and forgive myself.
  • Like 1

Just now, Gabriele Graves said:

Oh I agree absolutely.  My advice was really for Love in case he needs to know how to copy the quote going forward.  I tend to find it useful a fair amount.

I have to figure out how that works on my kindle.

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:
2 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I have to figure out how that works on my kindle.

Yeah, most posting is from my iPhone. I went to a PC for fixin' but nupe. Maybe Ploos will have Forum Fixin's! (Like "Salad Fixin's" but higher fees.)

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

That happens sometimes when you quote a quote. How do you propose that I fix it? Edit the post, go back and find the original quote, and quote that instead? Wow, your tone. You ok?

*Edit* There you go, I had to create a new post. All bedr nao?

I know it happens that's why I told you it happened. lol

You're misreading my "tone". I wasn't jumping on your case. I was letting you know so you could fix it and not confuse the person who you were actually quoting.

I'm sorry I tried to be nice and helpful.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I'm sorry I tried to be nice and helpful.

Commas are important!

"It's time to eat, kids!"

vs.

"It's time to eat kids!"

I'll assume there's a comma missing! You see, assuming the other person's intent doesn't always 

..lead to Fees too high!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I know it happens that's why I told you it happened. lol

You're misreading my "tone". I wasn't jumping on your case. I was letting you know so you could fix it and not confuse the person who you were actually quoting.

I'm sorry. I tried to be nice and helpful.

I fixed it for you.

To some extent I think it's wrong to blame the extent of abandoned mainland on fees.

I used to own a fair bit of mainland when I was running an active (and profitable) inworld business and if it hadnt been for a change totally unrelated to fees I probably still would. I know it's a cliche (and a complete canard) to say "Meh, SL is all about pixel sex" but I do have to say the kink community in SL was thriving and  I found an emphasis on menu-free interactivity in the "equipment" I made was a strong selling point to that community. At one point I had six large retail location on mainland and two on private sims and every one was above-region-average traffic and covered its monthly tier with a generous excess to cash out. It was fair to say, at that point, that if a mainland region didnt have an adult business of some sort on it, you could find one within a couple of regions radius of it.

I do not blame LL for forcing the zindra relocation of all adult businesses on mainland. The factors behind that business decision on their part were clear and unavoidable. They were generous and more than willing to assist with difficulties faced by inworld businessmen and landowners in that move. I ended up with a some nice prime locations in the new continent, but the "ghetto effect" killed footfall and inworld sales and was a factor in my decision to close the business and do other things with my inworld time.

I recently was cleaning out my inventory and found a folder with bookmarks to all my old mainland store locations. Just for giggles I decided to visit them and see what was there now. One is restricted access and from outside you can't see anything but blank reverted terrain. One has been carved up into a checkerboard and has "Things happening" on at least part of it. The other 4 are owned by Governor Linden.

The adult market in SL may be a cliche but it did - and does - pay for a LOT of land. With it excluded from mainland apart from zindra, that's a smaller-now-but-still-significant distortion in land ownership that is visible in the amount of Linden-owned mainland out there.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

And yet here we are, nobody is taxed on L$...

That may be the case in the USA, however, in Australia if you earn over a certain amount of Linden Dollars (in real world value) that it isn't considered a hobby then you are liable to include your non cashed out linden dollar real world value amount on your tax return.

To put it another way, if you earn L$ and DONT cash it out to a real world currency, you are still taxed on it to the RL value set by the linden exchange at tax time. This was stated and set by the Australian Tax Office (ATO) all the way back in 2006. Virtual world: tax man cometh (theage.com.au). From the article:

"If you are getting a monetary benefit then it's not treated any differently - normal rules apply," an ATO spokeswoman says - in what is believed to be a world first.

"Your income will not be treated any differently than if you earned it working nine to five in an office."

If a virtual transaction has real world implications - if it can be attributed a monetary value - it attracts the attention of the Tax Office. Sites such as slexchange.com set rates for swapping Second Life's Linden dollars for "real" money.

"The real world value of a transaction may form part of your taxable income, even if it is in Linden dollars," the ATO spokeswoman says. "In addition, there may be GST to consider."

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Ow, Drayke! You just put a huge damper on my longstanding wish to move to Australia. This, to me, seems to be the same sort of thinking behind the various "wealth tax" proposals here in the US.

"Let's tax everything they own."

The wording is open to interpretation IMO.  

The real world value of a transaction may form part of your taxable income.

Or, it may not.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 832 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.