What to do with my Mainland Sim

Ridge Cronon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 634 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have almost an entire mainland sim separated by a road and surrounded by mostly abandoned land. Any ideas on how I should develop it that contributes to SL in a needed way and also gives me a little bit of money back on the monthly fees? It's been sitting here a while and I was going to do homes/apartments/hotel/shops but not sure if SL residents want that anymore or if I should do something else. I have been in SL since 2006 and there have been lots of changes but I haven't been very active in the last couple years. Any suggestions are appreciated. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Jenna Huntsman said:

Sandbox area and rentals is one of the more common ways that I see for sims - sandbox drives traffic, in turn will generate interest for the rentals (provided the area is landscaped nice enough).

Thanks, so by sandbox you mean just a general area around the rentals where people can hang out ?

14 minutes ago, Feorie Frimon said:

Actually, the more I think about it, a sandbox with renters is a great idea! 

The only issue I see is with griefers (that can Rez anything) and with renters up in the sky - I wonder if that ends up being an issue? 

Hi Feorie, I should be able to subdivide a sandbox area for everyone but then make the rental areas separate with security. Maybe that would cut down on griefers

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I love the idea of a hotel or similar ... SL needs more "destinations" that are user-created. There are quite a few clever places on the mainland that involve luxury resorts and getaways with roleplay... depending on how much time you have to give it, that could be a fun concept which could also generate some income for you. Congrats on your new SIM :)

• Like 5

On 6/6/2022 at 11:30 AM, Ridge Cronon said:

I have almost an entire mainland sim separated by a road and surrounded by mostly abandoned land. Any ideas on how I should develop it that contributes to SL in a needed way and also gives me a little bit of money back on the monthly fees? It's been sitting here a while and I was going to do homes/apartments/hotel/shops but not sure if SL residents want that anymore or if I should do something else. I have been in SL since 2006 and there have been lots of changes but I haven't been very active in the last couple years. Any suggestions are appreciated. 

I think you should give it a try, anyway. A sandbox is a good idea. There are premium sandboxes and old sandboxes like Obscure, but generally not that many. You could charge even just $1 for group membership and that cuts down on griefers. You put autoreturn on at 120 minutes or something, and it clears regularly. I think it's good to have an open space like a commons or even a sandbox around which the houses are arranged but I actually would put the sandbox off to the side AND have a commons, because I think people won't want to look out on a sandbox with plywood and junk.

You should make easements between the houses and space them far enough so that the chat is not heard.

Good luck!

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

It came up the other day that there are no sandboxes with ll water and very few that allow terra-forming so people can lean it.

Water is needed for things like waves and boats but I guess it's not enough of a demand because the words water & sandbox are currently not found together in search.

Maybe build a big lake and have the sandbox as the beach, a literal sandbox. Nice beach resort overlooking it with rentals.

Edited by Artorius Constantine
  • Like 4

On 6/21/2022 at 5:22 PM, Prokofy Neva said:

I think you should give it a try, anyway. A sandbox is a good idea. There are premium sandboxes and old sandboxes like Obscure, but generally not that many. You could charge even just $1 for group membership and that cuts down on griefers. You put autoreturn on at 120 minutes or something, and it clears regularly. I think it's good to have an open space like a commons or even a sandbox around which the houses are arranged but I actually would put the sandbox off to the side AND have a commons, because I think people won't want to look out on a sandbox with plywood and junk.

You should make easements between the houses and space them far enough so that the chat is not heard.

Good luck!

Or § 10 group membership and 3 hours autoreturn. I have lost count of time and forgot to take a copy sometimes... With 3 hours, I have 60 minutes more to wake up from the trance and take a darn copy and rez it.

• Like 2

On 6/16/2022 at 9:00 PM, Alexis Crisp said:

I love the idea of a hotel or similar ... SL needs more "destinations" that are user-created. There are quite a few clever places on the mainland that involve luxury resorts and getaways with roleplay... depending on how much time you have to give it, that could be a fun concept which could also generate some income for you. Congrats on your new SIM :)

I second this idea. Honestly, there's loads of shops, houses, and "interesting builds" But a lot of it is just Eye candy. But locations that allow interactivity between residents, or just promote doing things there, even roleplay, would be beneficial and potentially attract renters who are then encouraged to hand around!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/8/2022 at 6:16 AM, Artorius Constantine said:

It came up the other day that there are no sandboxes with ll water and very few that allow terra-forming so people can lean it.

Water is needed for things like waves and boats but I guess it's not enough of a demand because the words water & sandbox are currently not found together in search.

Maybe build a big lake and have the sandbox as the beach, a literal sandbox. Nice beach resort overlooking it with rentals.

There is a 2 hours sky sandbox, and the ground is Linden water. You can build boats at the sky sandbox and teleport to the underwater for testing.

And the water connect two sims Fireheart/Bastet, you can also test the sim edge acrossing.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Fireheart/197/116/9

Edited by JSeesaw

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently there is a demand for resort type getaways in SL. A change of scenery from your Linden Home in the suburbs lol. You could go swanky and get your name added to this list of SL resoprts: https://virtualhotels.online/

Honestly some of those are GORJUS: https://secondlife.com/destination/bonaire

61f5f339167fa147310148.jpg.5926b406d380e9ecd0e7169d86bb1b0a.jpg

1218577126_Villa-Outsideterraceandtub.thumb.jpg.e2a3572322497985eaba5b22bb999e34.jpg\

326711214_BoraBora-MahanVillasoverview.png.75ec1ee5d299fc73d1e0580f40e64e66.png

Or you could do a little motel where people could live for weeks or months at a time. There are some cool little hotels and motels on the marketplace:

Happy-Summer-Motel-Mp-Tex-02.jpg.1281a6a11d56bc008ad7240d1819eb48.jpg

1159279774_HighwayMotelmp.jpg.fff6cfe331c549b39f6d6409958495bf.jpg

ionic_Motel_-_RARE.jpg.4d7f42739a09fd1dc94a516505d79259.jpg

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 634 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.