You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 374 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi guys! 🥰I know most ppl in second life are very tech savvy. DEFINITELY not me lol. I created an account in 2009 and back in the day it would run fine on my MacBook. Not so much now with newer technology. 

May I please get your recommendations on a laptop that could run second life efficiently? I would like to not spend more than 2,000, but I want it to run like a pc. And no a pc is not an option for me due to space. 

I would REALLY appreciate your insight! Thanks!!

A laptop is always a compromise, prices are jacked, limit your searching to machines that come with 16 GB ram out of the box and have a discreet GPU. Past that there isn't really an ideal laptop for SL. CPU speed matters (not core count), a mid to high end GPU, prioritize a bigger better screen and nice keyboard, etc.

SL does not run like games (or anything else really), it's heavily CPU bound and will only really ever use a single core. A fast responsive GPU helps, but SL wont ever use it to it's full potential. SL also doesn't like WiFi and you will invariably suffer from packet loss from time to time.

If you're actually wanting something that can function as a laptop and be portable, I would say get a M1 MacBook Pro. It's not the greatest SL experience at the moment (but will improve over the next year), it will be an awesome laptop experience for literally everything that isn't SL. A fat PC gamer laptop is .. gonna be a pig with tiny battery life that breaks your shoulder if you have to carry it anywhere.

If you just use your laptop at home, in the same place ...  make space for an actual desktop PC and just deal with it. Only really need room for a keyboard and mouse and screen, you don't have to be sat at a desk, there are some really compact mini ITX cases on the market. Don't buy one off the shelf, build your own from parts, something Ryzen5.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I can recommend 2 brands of laptops I have good experiences with one is a know OEM and the other a custom OEM (OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer aka all companies that create computers or tech), 

And as  Coffee said, have this in mind,  plus the settings of the viewer you use matters since SL impacts hardware a different way due to the nature of it's world you no want to crank everything to ultra without knowing if your hardware gonna handle it or no

9 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

SL does not run like games (or anything else really), it's heavily CPU bound and will only really ever use a single core. A fast responsive GPU helps, but SL wont ever use it to it's full potential. SL also doesn't like WiFi and you will invariably suffer from packet loss from time to time.

acer nitro V series 2019-2022 are good starters laptops

Useful vids about the acer nitro V series of the cons and pros of it

-2019 ver https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JBi48wNTIk

-2020 ver https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTri2C0SCP8

-2021 ver https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQaDawQ2bLM

-2022 ver https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNTej5ZbgUs

Eluktronics a custom laptops and desktops oem 

for this one I will say the prometheus xvii series is a beast of machine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IibIzB5kdZ0

Other thing if the laptop is going to sit a whole day in a desk get a coolingpad (example pics below) what it does help the laptop with the airflow so it no drown itself trying to get fresh air from outside and helps getting fresh air to the components the own laptop fans cant cover prolonging the life of the device.

81t9B5pBMBL._AC_SY450_.jpg11c.jpg

Edited by LykanXEclipse
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-laptops,4828.html

You need a gaming laptop then. I'd recommend checking what the various websites say is the latest thing to get. 

Those are all pretty good for a PC gamer laptop, however I will say "friends don't let friends buy Alienware or Acer" .. Acer are just cheap crap, Alienware is cheap crap in a pretty dress.

(I find myself frequently asked to fix laptops & computers .. I have yet to open an Alienware anything and not instantly feel the owner was outright robbed, Acer tend to cheap out on jelly bean components so things fail because they shaved 10c of the build price by not using slighter better generic parts)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi coffee pancake!

I wish I knew most of the terms you said but I’m a makeup artist and am computer illiterate LOL

I appreciate the honest feedback, but I would have no idea where to start as far as building a pc. 😭

Is there advice for PC purchase? Or advice as what to purchase to build? Someone builds for me? 🤦🏻‍♀️ 

Also you said SL doesn’t like Wi-Fi… you just plug the router cable directly to pc?

I definitely don’t want to waste my money on a laptop that won’t render (I remember that term! Lol) my avatar and I can’t see others avatars. But I miss playing so much!

I really really appreciate your help!!

Edited by Vivalaveronica Violet

I never had problems with acer gaming laptops, but in the other hand dell is just...and they systems are bloated af, I remember a friend bought a Alienware m16 the thing just worked one month before it died dell support was like apple support "just buy a new one warrantly don't cover it"

Edited by LykanXEclipse
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Those are all pretty good for a PC gamer laptop, however I will say "friends don't let friends buy Alienware or Acer" .. Acer are just cheap crap, Alienware is cheap crap in a pretty dress.

(I find myself frequently asked to fix laptops & computers .. I have yet to open an Alienware anything and not instantly feel the owner was outright robbed, Acer tend to cheap out on jelly bean components so things fail because they shaved 10c of the build price by not using slighter better generic parts)

Just gonna hijack the thread for a minute.  I'm thinking of switching to a desktop.  I've used laptops exclusively with SL and it's time to move on.  

These are the specs for the one I'm looking at...any thoughts?

AMD Ryzen™ 5 5600G W/Air Cooler (3.9 GHz up to 4.4 GHz, 16 MB L3 cache, 6 cores)

NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3060 (12 GB GDDR6 dedicated) with LHR, Display Connectors: HDMI*1, DP*3

HyperX 8 GB DDR4-3200 MHz XMP Heatsink RAM (1 x 8 GB)

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

First error for AMD cpus, always make sure is in dual config and same specs example you will want 2x4gb ddr4 3200 to make 8gb or 2x8gb, 2x16gb, etc ryzen hates single ram and impacts it hard

Just now, Vivalaveronica Violet said:

Hi coffee pancake!

I wish I knew most of the terms you said but I’m a makeup artist and am computer illiterate LOL

I appreciate the honest feedback, but I would have no idea where to start as far as building a pc. 😭

Is there advice for PC purchase? Or advice as what to purchase to build? Someone builds for me? 

Building a PC is a lot easier than it used to be, there are lots of youtube videos and guides. If you can manipulate a screwdriver and open boxes, you have all the required skills. Once you have done it once you will never ever buy a prebuilt ever again and will find upgrading in the future really easy. Seriously, there are harder LEGO sets.

If there is a micro center near you, they will hold your hand picking parts and make sure everything you buy will work together and fit in the case you pick for it all. Just start with a choice of CPU and build the rest around it (Ryzen 5 would be my recommendation). 

There is a high chance you have someone in your RL friend circle who has done this before, or has a teen you can borrow.

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

AMD Ryzen™ 5 5600G W/Air Cooler (3.9 GHz up to 4.4 GHz, 16 MB L3 cache, 6 cores)

NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3060 (12 GB GDDR6 dedicated) with LHR, Display Connectors: HDMI*1, DP*3

The only thing I would change is get 16GB ram (2x 8GB sticks - it's important you have 2 sticks for Ryzen). You will need a motherboard. I've had good experiences with Gigabyte Aorus, ASUS ROG & TUFF.

9 minutes ago, LykanXEclipse said:

I never had problems with acer gaming laptops, but in the other hand dell is just...and they systems are bloated af, I remember a friend bought a Alienware m16 the thing just worked one month before it died dell support was like apple support "just buy a new one warrantly don't cover it"

Dell and Alienware (it's all Dell) are both well built, I have no complaints about the construction. I just wince at the price when looking at the actual functional parts wrapped up in the good construction. They also tend to make unnecessary propriety modifications that can undermine future attempts to upgrade. 

I've got ACER stuff on the bench right now that failed because they used a 7c part rather than a 12c part. Also I hate their screens, horrible viewing angles and color.

• Like 1

Hi, ive always liked dell pcs, had a xps long ago, they used to have long warrenty and they always have drivers for their products on their website. um if ihad a budget of 2k and wanted a dell I would go with as much ram memory these have 32gig. um when i got my pc it is i5 thinking that was good not realizing there are several generations of i5 chips.. hard to give exact suggestion cause depends on screen size other factors. heres link https://www.dell.com

photo below is the video card specs 8 gig for the xps 17 not shabby um i have desktop w 2 gig video card, so 8 wouls be 4 times better :)

E9030322-B72F-49B5-9FE1-751856968E35.png

46AF4C81-6A55-41B7-920B-41669142B4E9.png

Edited by Paulsian
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Vivalaveronica Violet said:

I appreciate the honest feedback, but I would have no idea where to start as far as building a pc.

Building a PC is super easy. Heck, LTT, a respected tech content creator, made a start-to-finish video on how to build a PC for people with no prior knowledge - see here -

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Paulsian said:

Hi, ive always liked dell pcs, had a xps long ago, they used to have long warrenty and they always have drivers for their products on their website. um if ihad a budget of 2k and wanted a dell I would go with as much ram memory these have 32gig. um when i got my pc it is i5 thinking that was good not realizing there are several generations of i5 chips.. hard to give exact suggestion cause depends on screen size other factors. heres link https://www.dell.com

$2000 for something with a 3050 or Intel IRIS .. OMG YOUCH. RUN !!

Do not buy anything that uses an Intel GPU. Ever. Junk.

You can get a ASUS ROG 3060 laptop from Amazon right now for $1500

(and to be clear, a 3060 is a LOT better than a 3050)

Edited by Coffee Pancake

I'm probably the only person in the entire world who absolutely hates the idea of building a PC from scratch (even though I mostly know how). It's probably the last thing I'd ever find myself doing despite being wholly computer literate. I just hate that kind of thing.

That said, there are places to get help with purchasing a premade if you're at all not comfortable with doing it yourself. I made use of the r/SuggestAPC subreddit and its dedicated Discord channel for months and it was such an invaluable resource. Lots of very knowledgeable tech-minded people in there who do build their own PCs to help people like me who absolutely hate the idea of doing it. With their help, I managed to secure a brand new solid prebuilt for $999 at midnight on Black Friday 2020. We were all up scouring sales together when that one dropped out of nowhere and several of us managed to get in orders before they sold out. It came with a 3070 GPU and 16GB RAM at a time when GPUs were still priced on par with beachfront homes, so it was an absolute steal. If you're really not wanting to build one of your own, I'd highly recommend joining that Discord channel or subreddit and checking out their recommendations.

I believe there's a laptop version, as well - r/SuggestALaptop, but I'd personally recommend a desktop myself. Just easier to get in there and swap/add parts if something fails down the road (that I will do).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Vivalaveronica Violet said:

Okay if I’m building a PC can someone just tell me what parts I should buy? 😬

And there is there really no laptop that can work?? 😭 being in bed chillin is so much better. ..🤣🤣

The parts that @Rowan Amore said above will do just fine, aside from the amount of RAM (as others have said, you want dual-channel (i.e. 2 sticks of RAM))

You 100% can get a laptop which will run SL just fine, but expect it to cost more for less performance. Also, very little in the way of an upgrade path.

Edited by Jenna Huntsman
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Vivalaveronica Violet said:

And there is there really no laptop that can work?? 😭 being in bed chillin is so much better. ..🤣🤣

Laptops do work - Type "ASUS ROG Laptop" in Amazon and find the one with the highest graphics card numbers - eg .. a 3070 is a LOT better than 3060 which is a LOT better than a 3050

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

$2000 for something with a 3050 or Intel IRIS .. OMG YOUCH. RUN !!

Do not buy anything that uses an Intel GPU. Ever. Junk.

You can get a ASUS ROG 3060 laptop from Amazon right now for $1500

(and to be clear, a 3060 is a LOT better than a 3050)

yah didnt notice the onboard on the one laptop xps 13 opps would never get that either xps.

12 minutes ago, Paulsian said:

2k for a integrated graphics no even dedicated  lol if you want a slider show like powerpoint go for it, the other one has good specs but that nvidia should be a 1660, 2060 or even a 3060 but after all is dell I never trusted them

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Wasn't Acer originally a Walmart brand? 😂

After using a laptop with a 17" screen for years, there is no way in hell I'd ever go back to anything smaller.  It is bad enough being on 17" instead of my 26" desktop monitor.  And nothing short of 32gb of memory -- at least if you want to do other stuff while running SL.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

Just gonna hijack the thread for a minute.  I'm thinking of switching to a desktop.  I've used laptops exclusively with SL and it's time to move on.  

These are the specs for the one I'm looking at...any thoughts?

This is basically my setup but with 32GB of RAM. I was told not to skimp RAM so I just said F* it give me 32... There was something else about utilizing dual channel for the memory which was a pair of memory sticks? idk over my head... 😁

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 374 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.