lighting

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 797 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, windinface said:

where do I find lighting?

I assume you mean objects that light things up, rather than environmental lighting (e.g., the sun and the moon)?

You can buy lights on the Marketplace, but they are very easy to make yourself.

You'll find all the information you need here:

• Like 1

I'm going to guess the opposite, and assume that @windinfacemeans environmental lighting.

1. Up at the top of your viewer, click the World menu to expand it
2. Hover over the Environment entry to expand it.
3. Select the time of day you like, Sunrise, Mid-day, Sunset, or Midnight.

You can also use the keyboard shortcuts CTRL+SHIFT+U, Y, N, or X, respectively.

To return to the shared group environment and see the world as others around you are seeing it, click the Use Shared Environment entry.

You can also make much more detailed changes of your environment, including the look of the sky, the day/night cycle, fog, and water in this part of the menu.

• Like 1

1163091342_Lightingopenpersonallighting.png.9dbbfad43e5fa7c59cc480be5f10e444.png

In addition to turning on the settings mentioned above, you can go into your personal lighting to set up EEP lighting (environment enhancement project formerly windlight). 

1029092769_Lightingchangecolors.png.2633241694866d94a029aad62f209871.png

From personal lighting, you can go into both 'ambient' and 'sun color' to change the two primary light sources in your world. Ambient controls the overall environment light. In the color picker window you select the color of the light and at the very right side you pick the brightness of that color. Play with those settings to find something you like. I prefer to pick a gray neutral color and select lighter grays for a bright day or darker grays for a gloomier day. The other setting is Sun Color which controls light from the SL sun/moon. The sun's light creates additional highlight and shadow on your avatar. It also casts shadows on the world around you if you have shadows enabled. You can also turn off the sun's light by setting it to black which I have done. This makes an avatar with very even shadow-less lighting. The sun's location in the sky can also be changed here which will affect how shadows appear.

1 hour ago, Odaks said:

@windinface - please confirm what you meant. Environmental lighting, local lights or.... what?

Maybe everyone can stop wildly guessing if you do. If you need help to understand the difference, just ask! We'll do our best to help when we know.

They posed 4 questions yesterday and have responded to none.  One wonders if they will ever return.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

They posed 4 questions yesterday and have responded to none.  One wonders if they will ever return.

Not to mention that their account has been around since 2020 and they've managed to join some... interesting... groups since then.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 797 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.