Meta Acquires Second Life from Linden Lab

noonbaja

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 138 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Pretty sure I heard one of the Lab speakers at the SL20B talks explicitly not rule out VR in SL's future. But sounds like hedging its bets—doesn't cost anything to say "maybe, someday"—or at least it costs a lot less than Tim Cook spent on Apple Vision Pro on the off-chance Zuck was onto something.

I mean sure, once the technology gets beyond strap-on headsets, it might be worth exploring. Who knows? SL may still be around in twenty years, and maybe by then we'll have VR without these ridiculous face-mounted iPads.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Didn't someone do a version of Firestorm built for VR?  I could swear someone mentioned it here in the forums a while back.  

It was CtrlAltStudio viewer, which was short lived.

Edited by Modulated

52 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

I mean sure, once the technology gets beyond strap-on headsets, it might be worth exploring. Who knows? SL may still be around in twenty years, and maybe by then we'll have VR without these ridiculous face-mounted iPads.

I wonder if someday when it becomes more common we'll start referring to strap-on headsets as "strap-ons", as opposed to implants, of course.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Eventually, and hopefully we will have retinal displays which project light directly into our eyes using a low powered laser rather than an actual screen which displays images.  I think one of the current setbacks is likely because of positioning of the beam as your eyes move about, it would have to use very sophisticated machinery to keep up, not to mention maintain a constant scan line much like CRTs use.  

Right now we mostly have to rely on old tech screen near the eye.  I mean, there are a few retinal projectors out there, but they are pretty clunky as well and as far as I know, not well received. 

Neural implants are probably a long ways off, despite all of the hoopla of Neuralink implanting their first electrode array into a brain, we have been doing it for decades now, even having electrodes attached to retinas to partially restore sight I believe was a thing in the earlier 2000s.  I remember getting caught up in it, and looking forward to shadowrun cybernetics by the 20s 🤣  As is usual, Elon has taken existing technology and is pretending he invented it all, and this is all new.  I don't think the old school screen will be replaced anytime soon, so long as there is not a need or demand for something better, the issues with attaching electrodes to brains to bypass our own vision is going to take a while.  The complications are severe, the regulations, the legalities, all things that are going to probably hold it back for decades.

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 2

On 4/2/2022 at 12:33 AM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

JuicyBomb.

Definitely where I go for really hard-hitting news and cutting-edge insights.

So this isn't a BBC lookalike?

• Haha 1

I have since learned that the "META owns LL" was an April Fool's joke.
Clearly, I am the fool. ;-)
However, I tried out the recently Meta-purchased Oculus headset @$500 and it works well. Watching a YouTube performance by Rüfus du Sol was impressive.
That/if it ever comes to SL is in the unknown future, one would imagine.
That Sansar was a failure as delivered, ' is old news of course.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DerekRockwood said:

I have since learned that the "META owns LL" was an April Fool's joke.
Clearly, I am the fool. 😉
However, I tried out the recently Meta-purchased Oculus headset @$500 and it works well. Watching a YouTube performance by Rüfus du Sol was impressive.
That/if it ever comes to SL is in the unknown future, one would imagine.
That Sansar was a failure as delivered, ' is old news of course.

Mark...

Go to bed.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 138 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.