You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 746 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been in sl for a little over two years and during most of that time the Blake Sea has been unsailable because crossing sims was impossible. Often it would send me to the bottom of the ocean. And i would have to rerez the boat to get going again. Then about a week ago we tried the Blake Sea again and crossing sims was not problem at all. We could sail anywhere without concerns. We spent hours sailing around the Blake Sea area.  Then a couple days ago the Blake Sea went back to how it had been previously,,,, unsailable. 

Has anyone else had this experience or know what happening?

Region crossing issues are a fundamental design property of SL. If it messes you about, that's the system working as intended and mitigations in the viewer failing miserably to paper over the actual cracks.

The only way it gets improved is by redesigning how regions handle avatar presence near and crossing borders.

It could be seamless and completely transparent to the user. But that's not possible unless LL deem it important enough to spend developer time redesigning it.

Sorry, not the helpful answer, one weird trick to fix region crossing  you we're hoping for :(

• Like 1

@sweetindifference,

You might already be aware, but there's a few things you can do to minimise the risks of region crossings failing:-

* Remove all possible scripts from your avatar(s)

* Keep a steady course as you cross

* Avoid the region corners and, wherever possible, avoid quick succession crossings (such as will happen if you cross at an angle, close to a corner, causing you to enter a new region but then almost immediately enter another). LL made some improvements in these areas but, in general, avoid them.

Making sure that your avatar(s) are not carrying a bunch of scripts is probably the most important. Remember, when you cross a region border, everything has to be packaged up, sent to the new server, unpacked, scripts restarted and everything re-established in the new region. The less stuff there is, the easier and less accident-prone it all becomes.

There is no doubt that some boats are scripted better than others for dealing with region crossings, and there are some modifying scripts that might help (if your boat is "moddable"). As I have never really properly understood which of those scripts are good for which boats, I'll leave any further comments on that to those with better knowledge**.

** In fact, I'd be delighted if somebody could explain that for me!

Edited by Odaks
Afterthought
  • Like 1

This solution may or may not apply, but I'll post it here in case others experience sim crossing issues in boats/vehicles even after having followed Odaks' excellent advice.

Many boats and other vehicles use AVSitter scripts, including some very popular ones by Bandit, for example, that have not been updated since the products were released. There is a bug, apparently, that causes issues with the current sim crossing process on the server side in older AVSitter scripts.

Now, you may use one vehicle/boat that works just fine, and the next time use another which fails and fails over and over again. You can decide not to use the one that fails, but what if you spent thousands of L$ on it? If it is modify, you can probably fix it. There is an AVSitter script that has been changed to work around this specific issue in sim crossings. You can find it free in marketplace here: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/AVsitter-129-fix-for-vehicles/20869617

I have used it in my sailboats from Bandit/TMS, and now I have fewer issues with sim crossings. Nothing we can currently do on the user end will make them seamless or hazard free at this time.

One last point I'd like to add with regards to AVSitter scripted vehicles: The system allows people to save avatar position and rotation changes. As far as I can tell, these adjustments are stored as part of the script memory. If you have made a lot of adjustments using the pose menu or a pose helper, then the script's memory will become more and more bloated, potentially causing issues with region crossings. If you are like me, you might go through your most used poses for your own avatar and try to get the adjustments to look good. The only way I know to do that without causing script memory issues is to edit the AVSitter notecard directly for each pose you want to change. Make a copy of that notecard in your inventory and take a copy of the boat too.

Edited by KjartanEno
more info
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, KjartanEno said:

This solution may or may not apply, but I'll post it here in case others experience sim crossing issues in boats/vehicles even after having followed Odaks' excellent advice.

Many boats and other vehicles use AVSitter scripts, including some very popular ones by Bandit, for example, that have not been updated since the products were released. There is a bug, apparently, that causes issues with the current sim crossing process on the server side in older AVSitter scripts.

Now, you may use one vehicle/boat that works just fine, and the next time use another which fails and fails over and over again. You can decide not to use the one that fails, but what if you spent thousands of L$ on it? If it is modify, you can probably fix it. There is an AVSitter script that has been changed to work around this specific issue in sim crossings. You can find it free in marketplace here: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/AVsitter-129-fix-for-vehicles/20869617

I have used it in my sailboats from Bandit/TMS, and now I have fewer issues with sim crossings. Nothing we can currently do on the user end will make them seamless or hazard free at this time.

Just to add - a version for AVsitter 2.2 is also available. The latest Avsit version.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/31/2022 at 9:31 AM, KjartanEno said:

One last point I'd like to add with regards to AVSitter scripted vehicles: The system allows people to save avatar position and rotation changes. As far as I can tell, these adjustments are stored as part of the script memory. If you have made a lot of adjustments using the pose menu or a pose helper, then the script's memory will become more and more bloated, potentially causing issues with region crossings. If you are like me, you might go through your most used poses for your own avatar and try to get the adjustments to look good. The only way I know to do that without causing script memory issues is to edit the AVSitter notecard directly for each pose you want to change. Make a copy of that notecard in your inventory and take a copy of the boat too.

I'll further expand on this- if you edit the avpos notecard and trim down those options, that helps a lot too.

I've been remaking all my menus from the ground up, eliminating all the excess poses and scripts for extra people, and it's made a huge difference.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a stock Bandit 55 v1.3 era 2018. Add in the USB navigator. Plus wearing about 3MB of scripts. I can sail and easily cross 30 to 100 region without a problem. Does not seem to mater where, Eden, Blake Sea... But, I do get nailed with a failed crossing every now and then.

I do have to watch out for dead regions. They show red in the Firestorm mini-map. And there are those regions that appear as a hole in the world. Sailing or flying into those will crash me.

I was checking today (4/14/22) to see how things were. I got nailed by a ban line on about my 25th crossing. If I had worn my Ban Line HUD I could have avoided that problem. I also watch for a line of green dots at a region crossing. When sailing with the Topless Cruise I notice several people getting stuck on a region boundary and then sail around that region.

I have on occasion noticed I can avoid a line of stuck people or a red region on the mini map, sail into another region  either side of it to avoid it, THEN sail into what was looking to be a problem region. I figure sometimes it is the particular region combination that is the problem and not the destination region.

Sailing and flying is SL has extra problems over RL.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 746 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.