Going Native To iMacs M1 Chip Based Computers

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 753 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi Everyone.

Does anyone know if/when Second Life will become native to iMacs M1 chip based computers? I know that people log on via Rosetta 2 at the moment, but I don't know how stable that is, and I've heard rumours that Apple will be phasing that software out in the future, I have a late 2013 model iMac, and it has an intel based chip, I don't want to upgrade just yet, because there are not a lot of options out there right now, but I will have to ... eventually.

So my question is simple, will Second Life go native to iMacs M1 chip instead of going via Rosetta 2 at some point? Genuine answers please, not assumptions.

Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We have been asking LL about Apple depreciating OpenGL for years and they have done nothing public to address that, it's pretty much too late now.

An M1 native build, while technically possible, seems to be taking a similar trajectory.

There is more likely to be a M1 third party viewer before there is an official build from LL. We (Catznip) would be working on one now .. only we don't have an M1 mac, can't afford one and have only recently gotten sufficient intel Apple hardware to develop and test with.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Pandora Drezelan said:

Hi Everyone.

Does anyone know if/when Second Life will become native to iMacs M1 chip based computers? I know that people log on via Rosetta 2 at the moment, but I don't know how stable that is, and I've heard rumours that Apple will be phasing that software out in the future, I have a late 2013 model iMac, and it has an intel based chip, I don't want to upgrade just yet, because there are not a lot of options out there right now, but I will have to ... eventually.

So my question is simple, will Second Life go native to iMacs M1 chip instead of going via Rosetta 2 at some point? Genuine answers please, not assumptions.

Thank you.

I’ve heard alchemy is working on a native viewer but I can’t find any information on it. Linden themselves are depressingly quiet on the subject.

I have no idea how big of a project it will be but I hope someone manages it soon.

2 hours ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

If they were able to make one, we’d have it by now.

It's not that we don't get things because they might be hard.

We don't get things because management don't see it as a business priority and don't budget developer time for it.

The days of Linden developers wandering off to do cool things are long gone.

Edited by Coffee Pancake

The Lindens were working on a mobile app, but abandoned the project, last Autumn / Fall sometime if I remember right. At the time, one of the Lindens wrote that they would instead be working on something rather 'exciting.'

I remember someone putting out the plea for a proper iPad viewer. Others said it would never happen - what would be the point? The user-base for such a viewer would be too small.

But a viewer that could run on an iPad could also run on an M1 Mac. (Maybe). And vice versa. (Probably). That might make it worth while, for someone at least.

• Like 1

The issue isn't getting the viewer to run on a moderately powerful Apple mobile device, it's reworking the entire UI to be touch friendly, and then getting the entire project past the app store censors. A full fat SL falls foul of a lot of apples app store rules, like content maturity, power usage and micro transactions.

Making the viewer run on M1 just needs developer time. Which needs management to allocate a budget and developers. LL are not the nimble hack things up, move fast break things, company we all remember from way back.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Anicha Heartsong said:

I think she goes around the forums scatter-posting random laughter emojis on posts for some perverse reason. She's not the only one.

You get free positive forum points from the laughers.  I just assume they are no longer allowed to post text and think the laughing is annoying.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/3/2022 at 6:12 AM, Coffee Pancake said:

There is more likely to be a M1 third party viewer before there is an official build from LL. We (Catznip) would be working on one now .. only we don't have an M1 mac, can't afford one and have only recently gotten sufficient intel Apple hardware to develop and test with.

Coffee, I've been sleuthing: on another thread you recently wrote: "The M1 Air is the single best self contained computing experience I have ever had (and I have an absurd amount of computing hardware going back 40 years). It packs a huge punch, has battery life that just keeps going, has no fans and is completely silent, gorgeous accurate screen and Monterey ties everything together beautifully. It's an objectively excellent machine that can stand toe to toe with PC laptops up to double it's price."

Does this mean you now have an M1 Mac? And... and... does that mean... ?

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Anicha Heartsong said:

Coffee, I've been sleuthing: on another thread you recently wrote: "The M1 Air is the single best self contained computing experience I have ever had (and I have an absurd amount of computing hardware going back 40 years). It packs a huge punch, has battery life that just keeps going, has no fans and is completely silent, gorgeous accurate screen and Monterey ties everything together beautifully. It's an objectively excellent machine that can stand toe to toe with PC laptops up to double it's price."

Does this mean you now have an M1 Mac? And... and... does that mean... ?

We do now have a brand spanking new M1 Air. It's GOLD.

We've done some preliminary tinkering, the intent is to get a viewer going but there's a lot of work between now and that happening.

• Like 6

54 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

We do now have a brand spanking new M1 Air. It's GOLD.

We've done some preliminary tinkering, the intent is to get a viewer going but there's a lot of work between now and that happening.

Great to see work happening towards a native viewer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 753 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.