The "No Mod" thing has to go... ( Rant Season 2022 )

HarutoYoko

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 830 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Man, when you purchase some clothes that are suppose to be black but are actually gray.. When the demo only offers one set color that you cannot chose from. You purchase the item because it looks dark enough and "NOPE" sorry it's actually not the color you wanted. Then when you talk to the creators they give you some lame excuse as if you're born yesterday. Me, I make some items and I scripted some items it isn't hard to make an object mod and your scripts no mod. At least try to invest into a tint hud but that seems way to difficult for some or they just want to have complete control. You try to ask a clothing creator for a mod version/darker of their item and you get these two answers, "I have my reasons" or "Color as is". Best case they make a new color but it's not to your specifications. Worst case they tell you it cannot be modded due to something to do with the scripts. I hope that someday in the future SL allows the ability to mess with the ability to tint clothing to ones liking. I know content creators have their rights but darn if I want to throw paint on my pants or my shirt I should have that ability too. I wonder why SL won't come to some sort of middle ground with this? Come on SL do something, let us have the ability to mod our clothing even if in a limited capacity such as tinting! 

What do you guys think? Will be stuck in the no mod season forever? Or can SL actually come to some sort of middle ground? What is your ideas on how SL could implement or why they shouldn't implement?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, HarutoYoko said:

when you purchase some clothes that are suppose to be black but are actually gray.. 

I don't think I have really run into this issue very much thankfully, the colors are usually very accurate for me (only time I might not love it is when I play around with my wind light too much).

8 minutes ago, HarutoYoko said:

When the demo only offers one set color that you cannot chose from.

I would say this is probably one of my biggest annoyances when it comes to demos. Especially since I like to have color coded or themed outfits. When I can't test out the diff colors to see if they compliment each other it definitely bugs me.

• Like 6

Baking "tint" into a texture properly requires having pre-baked texture and/or materials images and UV-maps. It's not as simple as selecting a new color from the edit window. Some creators do provide those textures and maps, and charge handsomely for them. I think that's entirely appropriate, as considerable effort goes into creating them, and the creators lose the ability to sell different colors for a fee.

If you want that level of modification, search for clothing kits, not finished clothing. To get good results, you might need to work with an external image editor.

I've never had an issue with color mismatch between ad copy and the actual item. If a product's permissions are too restrictive for me, I don't buy it.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, HarutoYoko said:

Man, when you purchase some clothes that are suppose to be black but are actually gray.. When the demo only offers one set color that you cannot chose from. You purchase the item because it looks dark enough and "NOPE" sorry it's actually not the color you wanted. Then when you talk to the creators they give you some lame excuse as if you're born yesterday. Me, I make some items and I scripted some items it isn't hard to make an object mod and your scripts no mod. At least try to invest into a tint hud but that seems way to difficult for some or they just want to have complete control. You try to ask a clothing creator for a mod version/darker of their item and you get these two answers, "I have my reasons" or "Color as is". Best case they make a new color but it's not to your specifications. Worst case they tell you it cannot be modded due to something to do with the scripts. I hope that someday in the future SL allows the ability to mess with the ability to tint clothing to ones liking. I know content creators have their rights but darn if I want to throw paint on my pants or my shirt I should have that ability too. I wonder why SL won't come to some sort of middle ground with this? Come on SL do something, let us have the ability to mod our clothing even if in a limited capacity such as tinting! 

What do you guys think? Will be stuck in the no mod season forever? Or can SL actually come to some sort of middle ground? What is your ideas on how SL could implement or why they shouldn't implement?

Yes all of that as well as the inability to modify the name of the item to make it more recognizable for search like when the name does not include shoe even if it is. I want to be able to use one folder to store the variously skinned mesh bodies in, not have to create a different folder for each, etc. This should not be a problem for LL to institute even by allowing the no-mod product name to be prepended with a user selectable letter/numeric code to make it recognizable for the user.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

I believe that copyright law as it stands now is right.
However, I have happened to get complaints similar to yours about the products I was selling and I understand what you mean.
From that moment all the clothes I created I left them mod without any problems.
You can do whatever you want with it. The important thing is that you don't bother me if you lose the original copy.
I think it would also be wise to stop asking to change the rules that Linden Lab has imposed for well-considered reasons.
This, on the other hand, seems to me an inflated, immature and useless cry.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

I believe that copyright law as it stands now is right.
However, I have happened to get complaints similar to yours about the products I was selling and I understand what you mean.
From that moment all the clothes I created I left them mod without any problems.
You can do whatever you want with it. The important thing is that you don't bother me if you lose the original copy.
I think it would also be wise to stop asking to change the rules that Linden Lab has imposed for well-considered reasons.
This, on the other hand, seems to me an inflated, immature and useless cry.

Real life has copyright the difference is when does it become our product vs your product. If you no Mod it, we are just renting it. Companies like Rockstar games tried to be that controlling, when they started pushing back against the ability to mod your singleplayer games. It blew up hugely and this is a multi-million dollar company vs mom and pop stores. Sure, Rockstar didn't give us the tools and people got in their own way, but as far as lawsuits that only happens when people start redistributing stuff like assets or code.

SL has the ability for items to be redelivered so unless it is no COPY then mod at your own risk. Why would I stop asking them to change the rules on a program that they own? If LL Tomorrow said alright "No more green shoes" how much leeway do you think you'd have to fight against that? You can call it inflated or Immature but copyright issues are still a current issue, just go on youtube. Here is a funny thing about copyright.. If you create a song using a beat you purchased from someone, and someone else buys the right to the beat guess what? You no longer own the song and now you can be copyright striked for using the beat you spent money on. Copyright not broken? Get a grip.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Yes all of that as well as the inability to modify the name of the item to make it more recognizable for search like when the name does not include shoe even if it is. I want to be able to use one folder to store the variously skinned mesh bodies in, not have to create a different folder for each, etc. This should not be a problem for LL to institute even by allowing the no-mod product name to be prepended with a user selectable letter/numeric code to make it recognizable for the user.

Yea, I think there should be an ability to see if a store has mod objects but a no mod script. A lot of stores that sell mod content are hard to find unless they put that they are mod in the screenshot. I wish there was a way to tell the difference between the two.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HarutoYoko said:

Real life has copyright the difference is when does it become our product vs your product. If you no Mod it, we are just renting it. Companies like Rockstar games tried to be that controlling, when they started pushing back against the ability to mod your singleplayer games. It blew up hugely and this is a multi-million dollar company vs mom and pop stores. Sure, Rockstar didn't give us the tools and people got in their own way, but as far as lawsuits that only happens when people start redistributing stuff like assets or code.

SL has the ability for items to be redelivered so unless it is no COPY then mod at your own risk. Why would I stop asking them to change the rules on a program that they own? If LL Tomorrow said alright "No more green shoes" how much leeway do you think you'd have to fight against that? You can call it inflated or Immature but copyright issues are still a current issue, just go on youtube. Here is a funny thing about copyright.. If you create a song using a beat you purchased from someone, and someone else buys the right to the beat guess what? You no longer own the song and now you can be copyright striked for using the beat you spent money on. Copyright not broken? Get a grip.

I don't want to read all the delirium.
If you buy an item you know if it is mod or not.
If you paid it less than 800L$ and you knew it was no mod I don't think you have that many whining moans to scream.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tama Suki said:

I don't want to read all the delirium.
If you buy an item you know if it is mod or not.
If you paid it less than 800L$ and you knew it was no mod I don't think you have that many whining moans to scream.

Am Sure you don't TLDR: You don't really understand how copyright works but LL does.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HarutoYoko said:

Am Sure you don't TLDR: You don't really understand how copyright works but LL does.

I don't know what TLDR means but I know for sure that if you buy something from me for less than 800L$ and that I have clearly established that it is no mod and then come and make the Karen then I will block you.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

I don't know what TLDR means but I know for sure that if you buy something from me for less than 800L$ and that I have clearly established that it is no mod and then come and make the Karen then I will block you.

Did you read the TOS? 🙄

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

This would destroy the market for scripts.

Yokoさま said that being an experienced avatar she knows how to release content that can be edited with a script inside that cannot be edited.
I think these are elementary functions that you should know too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HarutoYoko said:

For clothes? Maybe, cars, guns, and other special items not so much haha.

For everything. Maybe not scripts themselves, but there are plenty of no-mod items that can and should be mod. Houses, foliage, landscaping, interior and exterior decor, art, accessories, building and structures, gaming tables, vehicles, weapons, etc etc etc.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HarutoYoko said:

I have done this plenty of times, the script being no mod but the object being mod.. A lot of SL Cars do this actually.

But I don't understand why a lot of people turn their anger to the permit rules that the LL has issued and that seem to work fine to me.
How much did you pay for the product that pissed you off so much? 8.000L $?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 830 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.