Number of Posts for a poor old chatterbox?

BranScanlon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 906 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, I tried to search the forums to find an answer, but...couldn't somehow? So I thought I'd ask here:

What is the limit for new people to post to the forums? I've hit the limit two days in a row now *blushes, mildly embarrassed* so I know I need to be very judicious in when and where I reply or post things, but I'd love to know the set number if possible?

I have, of course used one of my daily posts for this. It was a risk I am willing to take.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, BranScanlon said:

Hi, I tried to search the forums to find an answer, but...couldn't somehow? So I thought I'd ask here:

What is the limit for new people to post to the forums? I've hit the limit two days in a row now *blushes, mildly embarrassed* so I know I need to be very judicious in when and where I reply or post things, but I'd love to know the set number if possible?

I have, of course used one of my daily posts for this. It was a risk I am willing to take.

I'm not sure any of us know for sure.  The restriction got put in when LL did the last forum software upgrade (or maybe the one before that). 

I also don't know at what point the restrictions no longer apply.  

I think a few attempted to ask LL, but we never got any official answers as far as I know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think it must have happened well before the last update Little, as that very same thing happened to me as well (and I think I asked about it too, though don't quote me on that). Sadly Bran, no one seems to know specifically as Little mentioned, and LL isn't letting anyone know either I am afraid, and as there is no real data on the question I doubt anyone will be able to find out definitively. Sorry, but even as I feel your pain there is good news to be had. If you keep on posting, the number of times you will be able to WILL increase, until eventually you won't see a limit really (I hope lol). It just takes patience is all, as sucky as that can be at times... oh and coffee too, that always helps. In the meantime, just get on SL and shop/dance/explore your brains out until you can post again. :)

Peace...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BjorJlen said:

I think it must have happened well before the last update Little, as that very same thing happened to me as well

The forum software doesn't get updated very often.  I know we had one last July, but not sure if there has been another since then.

• Like 1

There were definitely limits. I seem to remember something like 5 posts a day until a certain number of days or posts had been reached. Made it hard to ask a whole slew of newbie questions at the start as I struggled to get a handle on things, and much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Now I'm just happy to have passed @LittleMe Jewell's 202 .. oh, wait .. that's 20.2K. Darn

:)

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Haha 4

23 hours ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

There were definitely limits. I seem to remember something like 5 posts a day until a certain number of days or posts had been reached. Made it hard to ask a whole slew of newbie questions at the start as I struggled to get a handle on things, and much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Now I'm just happy to have passed @LittleMe Jewell's 202 .. oh, wait .. that's 20.2K. Darn

:)

I have wailed. I have gnashed teeth. Yay verily I have cried unto the heavens to allow for just one more post. *weeps* I am undone by the red notice of my own sin of loquaciousness. "You have no more posts today" *sighs*

Also - thanks @Ayeleeon @BjorJlen @Alwin Alcott and @LittleMe Jewellfor all your help! :) One day this limit of posts shall pass :)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 12/27/2021 at 7:36 PM, BranScanlon said:

I've no idea what the limit is or for how long you're going to be limited, but the limit must have been put in place fairly recently, although as my head only thinks in terms of pre-covid and post-covid, I can't remember the last time we were hit by a particular spammer who kept creating brand new alts with similar names - not similar to yours Bran though - and taking over the forums. Linden Lab took drastic measures then and put limits on, because sometimes there weren't any moderators on duty for several hours. Now they have roped in some Mole people to cover by the looks of it and moderation has been tightened up somewhat as well as these post limits being put in place.

What are you going to be like when you are FREEEEEEEE though I wonder?  

Edited to add: Bad spammer was around May 2020. That would have been around the time the post limits were put in place I would think.

Edited by Marigold Devin
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, BranScanlon said:

I have wailed. I have gnashed teeth. Yay verily I have cried unto the heavens to allow for just one more post. *weeps* I am undone by the red notice of my own sin of loquaciousness. "You have no more posts today" *sighs*

You'll get there soon! And once you've gained limitless posting abilities, you'll experience true power. 😩

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

The first time I posted here with a new alt (new to the forum, but 10 years in SL), the limit was 5 posts/day. I seem to remember something like 30 days before you were considered an adult so you could actually have a discussion (or food fight) here.   This was just a few months ago.

It's a stupid rule, especially for anyone (irregardless if they been in SL for 15 years) that might need to follow up the same day with more than 5 posts.

the limit on new accounts posts has to do with automated spambots. When there were no limits then this forum used to get overrun by spambot programs auto-creating new accounts and then spamming the forums. 100s of spam posts sometimes

Edited by Mollymews
typs

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 906 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.