Face shadowing not symmetrical with LeLUTKA EVOX

Egon Rothschild

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 884 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, I went Bento head in early November and Inithium body in late November. Spent the last few weeks in the LeLUTKA EVO world. Tried moving to EVOX a number of times but every time I do I get this asymmetrical face shadowing (shown below) and I move back to EVO. I tried removing ALL tat layers (including body). Still the same. Tried unpacking a new head. Still the same. Tried both inside and outside my home. Still the same. Tried both Firestorm and SL Default Viewer. Still the same. What am I missing here? Thanks in advance, Egon.

face shadow both sides.jpg

That looks like a lighting effect, and you're moving the camera (since the background is not identical in each shot). It looks like you have a setting with high Sun light, low Ambient light.  Try changing these things. Or select "Nam's Optimal Skin & Prim" from the default settings. This gives an even light without shadows.

To test: - Stand on a poseball (or sit in a chair), point the camera in one particular direction, turn yourself by editing the poseball without moving your camera. 

Also as Helena says, check that your glossiness settings are not too high. 

• Like 3

I have noticed that same shading problem in some EvoX skin on the male Logan head.
In exactly the same even lighting Evo skins look right, but there is the shading problem in EvoX skins.

So it appears that it's the problem is how some EvoX skins have been made.
The problem can be clearly seen for example in Logan head's skin " - FACE - lel EvoX Logan 004". The left side of the face is a bit darker than the right side.

• Like 1

Some skins are just like that. Lots of added highlights or shadowing, often overdone and very often asymmetrical. In small amounts it can add up for more realistic look, but too much and it starts to look odd. Izzie released so many fixes to mitigate those already, so there's clearly a demand to get rid of excessive "details".

You didn't mention in the first post, but did you try some other skins/demos? If not, then do so, from a few creators.

Thanks, Helena, Maitimo, Coby & Jane. 

I'm new to all this: Bought LeL head in mid November. I don't know what "sliders" and "Nam's Optimal Skin & Prim" are. Sorry,

I looked for demos from STRAY DOG. Here's me with a different STRAY DOG demo. Same problem.

434949540_faceshadowlighterskin.jpg.a873dd9dc0e8d4497d7675b7ed842e86.jpg

I searched MP for EvoX skins. Wow. Few and far between. Anyway, I found a few on VULT. Tried one on. Here's original me and the VULT demo. Symmetrical color! So it's STRAY DOG and not me. *whew*

Here's original me and the VULT demo. 

1002553592_faceshadow-STRAYDOGandVULTcomparison.thumb.jpg.45a1d480b4956a0420f00097b0a49b6e.jpg

Again, thanks all. Happy Holidays and a Prosperous New Year to you all!

Egon

• Like 1

Since you said you're new to this, I'll show you what sliders are. Go on the Hud of the head. The first that usually shows is this on the picture below. 

On the bottom there are sliders for glossiness, intesity and enviorment. Try to decrease the glossiness and may be enviorment and see what happens. Also - on the pictures there are classic and glossy look. Try with classic (choose between mature and young). I'm not sure but it seems to me that your look is too glossy. My boyfriend had similar problem and he fixed it this way. 

Good luck. Screenshot_20211215_094854.thumb.jpg.cda65b234320a24e199f95ef24275fa1.jpg

Edited by HelenaNavy92

Nam's is a windlights setting which should still be in quick.preferences.  It looks as if you're using midday or something just as harsh.  Nam's optimal skin and prim gives the right type of lighting for viewing skins as they should be.  Not wearing a facelight, I assume?

As Rowan just mentioned, try using the face light that comes with the EvoX head (search in that folder if you can’t see it at first). My friend had the same issue with his EvoX, I have it as well sometimes with strange light effects. After trying the face light it looks perfect. Give that a try let us know! 😃

I've noticed this issue when testing demos for face and body skins from some stores. I don't care how detailed the skin might appear to be on the surface, a permanent 'shadow' asymmetry on the body isn't desirable and on the face is an absolute turn off. It is not an issue with the Lelutka EvoX heads themselves. I've got so many of them now from last year's freebies to this year's freebies, and several bought during the Black Friday-Cyber Monday sale. When looking at skin demos, type CalWL into your inventory search and right-click & "apply to myself" for a good even light source. ALL skins I've tried from Stray Dog were like this, so I avoid that store. Skins from Avarosa, Not Found, and Velour are pretty good.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

On 12/15/2021 at 1:24 PM, Egon Rothschild said:

Thanks, Helena, Maitimo, Coby & Jane. 

I'm new to all this: Bought LeL head in mid November. I don't know what "sliders" and "Nam's Optimal Skin & Prim" are. Sorry,

I looked for demos from STRAY DOG. Here's me with a different STRAY DOG demo. Same problem.

434949540_faceshadowlighterskin.jpg.a873dd9dc0e8d4497d7675b7ed842e86.jpg

I searched MP for EvoX skins. Wow. Few and far between. Anyway, I found a few on VULT. Tried one on. Here's original me and the VULT demo. Symmetrical color! So it's STRAY DOG and not me. *whew*

Here's original me and the VULT demo. 

1002553592_faceshadow-STRAYDOGandVULTcomparison.thumb.jpg.45a1d480b4956a0420f00097b0a49b6e.jpg

Again, thanks all. Happy Holidays and a Prosperous New Year to you all!

Egon

Could it be the ENVIRONMENT slider thing? Do you have the ENVIRONMENT Slider on? 
Environment reflection can render weirdly on the skin depending on the location of the Sun/Moo or nearby lights and how much you add to the slider. I have mine all the way to the left (OFF) and just tweak Glossiness and Intensity.

P.S. I do not own Logan. I won't know if it is really the shading of the skin or the slider.

On 12/15/2021 at 3:44 PM, Rowan Amore said:

Nam's is a windlights setting which should still be in quick.preferences.  It looks as if you're using midday or something just as harsh.  Nam's optimal skin and prim gives the right type of lighting for viewing skins as they should be.  Not wearing a facelight, I assume?

On 12/18/2021 at 3:00 AM, Krystina Ferraris said:

As Rowan just mentioned, try using the face light that comes with the EvoX head (search in that folder if you can’t see it at first). My friend had the same issue with his EvoX, I have it as well sometimes with strange light effects. After trying the face light it looks perfect. Give that a try let us know! 😃

On 12/18/2021 at 6:59 AM, KjartanEno said:

I've noticed this issue when testing demos for face and body skins from some stores. I don't care how detailed the skin might appear to be on the surface, a permanent 'shadow' asymmetry on the body isn't desirable and on the face is an absolute turn off. It is not an issue with the Lelutka EvoX heads themselves. I've got so many of them now from last year's freebies to this year's freebies, and several bought during the Black Friday-Cyber Monday sale. When looking at skin demos, type CalWL into your inventory search and right-click & "apply to myself" for a good even light source. ALL skins I've tried from Stray Dog were like this, so I avoid that store. Skins from Avarosa, Not Found, and Velour are pretty good.

4 hours ago, Yuki Suki said:

Could it be the ENVIRONMENT slider thing? Do you have the ENVIRONMENT Slider on? 
Environment reflection can render weirdly on the skin depending on the location of the Sun/Moo or nearby lights and how much you add to the slider. I have mine all the way to the left (OFF) and just tweak Glossiness and Intensity.

P.S. I do not own Logan. I won't know if it is really the shading of the skin or the slider.

Thanks for your posts Rowan, Krystina, Kjartan & Yuki. As Kjhartan said and had I discovered earlier in the thread, it's the Stray Dog brand that does this. I tried demos from other vendors and that imbalance wasn't there.

Again, thanks.

Egon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 884 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.