Stranger in a Strange Land

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 902 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

A book I should reread some day.

Meanwhile I am back wandering around after 10 days or so in hospital.  It's like I am on a different grid and I have a feeling I missed SOMETHING while I was gone.

Most of my Advent favorites are calendar-less this year not to mention the strange issue with calendar scripts and today I found a prominent one just gone.  I visited a bunch of events -- all giftless and a malaise seems to be floating over the grid. Bloggers aren't blogging that much and it is VERY QUIET.  It seems like folks are reacting to something but what that "something IS I have no clue.  

Any info appreciated.

24 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

A book I should reread some day.

Meanwhile I am back wandering around after 10 days or so in hospital.  It's like I am on a different grid and I have a feeling I missed SOMETHING while I was gone.

Most of my Advent favorites are calendar-less this year not to mention the strange issue with calendar scripts and today I found a prominent one just gone.  I visited a bunch of events -- all giftless and a malaise seems to be floating over the grid. Bloggers aren't blogging that much and it is VERY QUIET.  It seems like folks are reacting to something but what that "something IS I have no clue.  

Any info appreciated.

Sorry to hear you were in the hospital. I have an Advent Calendar with gifts at St. Paul's Church FWIW, but I hear you, it seems some top designers didn't do them this year (MadPea?). Yes, giftless even at merchant events that seem to ask for gifts, because it's too much work.

And in my view, this is all part of the effect on the economy of banning gatchas. You're not likely to agree, but this has a knock-on effect many feel now. Halloween is the real "Black Friday" of SL and probably gets more sales than Christmas. And now the retraction is more evident. It also comes as Omicron variant hits various countries.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Sorry to hear you were in the hospital. I have an Advent Calendar with gifts at St. Paul's Church FWIW, but I hear you, it seems some top designers didn't do them this year (MadPea?). Yes, giftless even at merchant events that seem to ask for gifts, because it's too much work.

And in my view, this is all part of the effect on the economy of banning gatchas. You're not likely to agree, but this has a knock-on effect many feel now. Halloween is the real "Black Friday" of SL and probably gets more sales than Christmas. And now the retraction is more evident. It also comes as Omicron variant hits various countries.

I actually listed Tilia (the new rules a couple of years ago) as the beginning of things hurting creators and the gachas as the latest -- this in a recent blog post. So while we often do not agree, this time I think we do.   It is difficult to get enthusiasm to make gifts if you aren't even paying your tier. My decision to "retire" when the new Tilia TOS came into being was a good one for me.  

Edited by Chic Aeon

14 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

I actually listed Tilia (the new rules a couple of years ago) as the beginning of things hurting creators and the gachas as the latest -- this in a recent blog post. So while we often do not agree, this time I think we do.   It is difficult to get enthusiasm to make gifts if you aren't even paying your tier. My decision to "retire" when the new Tilia TOS came into being was a good one for me.  

You mean the higher cashout fees? You were an incredible booster of the gatcha ban so I have to wonder how you came to concede that it hurt the economy. What is it about the TOS per se that bothers you? I didn't see anything objectionable in it other than higher fees?

The thing hurting creators the most is the downward price spiral caused by events (mostly weekends ones) that demand stuff to be on sale for 50-60-75 L$. People are getting spoiled by low prices and now dont want to pay normal rates for goods anymore. They will even flat out ask for cheap and free goods in a creators group and get sassy when a creator says they wont supply them that time. 

Edited by Jules Catlyn
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, Jules Catlyn said:

They will even flat out ask for cheap and free goods in a creators group and get sassy when a creator says they wont supply them that time

This isn't unique to SL, in the Auran trainz community a class of people were nicknamed "Gimme Pigs" for loudly demanding that the suppliers of payware also make freebie items.

10 hours ago, Jules Catlyn said:

The thing hurting creators the most is the downward price spiral caused by events (mostly weekends ones) that demand stuff to be on sale for 50-60-75 L$. People are getting spoiled by low prices and now dont want to pay normal rates for goods anymore. They will even flat out ask for cheap and free goods in a creators group and get sassy when a creator says they wont supply them that time. 

I think you're right. Since I found out these events, I rarely buy something on full prize.  Only hairs and skins, and sometimes something I really like. But it seems to me that some creators sell very well things for 60L. Also I wonder how they sell top and skirt for let's say 250L each, and the panties are 250L too.

Edited by HelenaNavy92

On 12/6/2021 at 5:27 PM, Jules Catlyn said:

Yes, I even had the cheek to dial up a European creator who didn't have Black Friday, which is kind of an American thing that spread a bit, the way Halloween  has, and ask her, "Why no Black Friday love?" She then offered to sell me a building half price. That was nice of her. I have been a customer for years but nobody owes me any favours, and not everyone is required to do Black Friday. But there you go, I demanded it and she provided it. Yes, there are way too many sales. Seraphim could refuse to cover some of the lesser ones and shape the environment. Not that I'm for them having that power. But some intervention is needed. I have stopped going to half of them myself. They tend to deteriorate in quality after starting.

6 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Yes, I even had the cheek to dial up a European creator who didn't have Black Friday, which is kind of an American thing that spread a bit, the way Halloween  has, and ask her, "Why no Black Friday love?" She then offered to sell me a building half price. That was nice of her. I have been a customer for years but nobody owes me any favours, and not everyone is required to do Black Friday. But there you go, I demanded it and she provided it. Yes, there are way too many sales. Seraphim could refuse to cover some of the lesser ones and shape the environment. Not that I'm for them having that power. But some intervention is needed. I have stopped going to half of them myself. They tend to deteriorate in quality after starting.

I rarely find clothes I can wear.  Most clothing builders don't make clothes for Slink Phys.   Not that I NEED any more clothes. 

Hope you are doing better post-hospital.

On 12/6/2021 at 12:32 PM, Chic Aeon said:

Most of my Advent favorites are calendar-less this year

Some of my old favorites are not doing them and some have shifted to less days of gifts.  I don't know if it is an overall economy thing, as Prok ponders in another thread, or if inworld is starting to experience some of the 'slump' feelings that many people have in RL with COVID still playing havoc with our lives after almost 2 years. 

Even given that some of the normal stores are not in the lists this year, the overall lists that have been posted still seem quite large -- though many of the stores seem like the old BIAB ones to me (buy lots of full perm mesh, retexture and sell).

IMO, @Jules Catlyn is totally correct in people's view of prices.  I'm even somewhat guilty of it myself.  Why pay L$300 for something that may very well be on sale for 1/6 of that in a few days or weeks?  By the same token, all of the constant super low sales has finally made me realize that I really do not need thousands of variations of the same outfit, resulting in my spending slowing down quite a bit over the last 3-4 months.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 902 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.