SL Performance

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 999 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 7/30/2021 at 12:31 PM, Amelie Mersereau said:

Thank you for your patronizing reply. What's next, will you advise me to reduce my draw distance? Perhaps you would be better served, when criticizing another's post, by reading the entire post next time...

If you perceive a constructive suggestion toward gathering a diverse set of opinions that might potentially differ from yours (or from those here) as a threat to your position atop your high-horse of sanctimony & status-quo, that's on you, not on me.

•  
15 minutes ago, Amelie Mersereau said:

From Qie's response:   "... Maybe it's unrealistic to expect regular users to provide enough detail to do anything useful..."

If that is not condescending & patronizing (especially after I used a paragraph to describe the issues I was experiencing), then, um sure, ok........ 

That was said after you called another post sanctimonious.  Really, you need to go back and reread your responses.  Any animosity, condescension or patronizing was instigated by you because people didn't agree with you.  

Anyway...I saw how this was going to go after the above quote.  Thus ends my participation in your thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Amelie Mersereau said:

The question is not whether or not there have always been performance issues. The question, Solar, is whether or not the performance issues are increasing in severity. I regret that you are unable to understand the discussion.

Oh no, I understand the thread and your complaint quite well.

There is no "discussion" to be had here as you simply refuse to listen to anything whatsoever that runs counter to your own narrative.

5 minutes ago, Amelie Mersereau said:

You can dish it out with your silly laughter icons & emojis, but you sure can't take the heat in return, eh Solar?

The irony (given your name) is wonderful!

There is nothing to "dish out" here and such a response further showcases the mentality mentioned in the very post you've quoted for this response.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

That was said after you called another post sanctimonious.  Really, you need to go back and reread your responses.  Any animosity, condescension or patronizing was instigated by you because people didn't agree with you.  

Anyway...I saw how this was going to go after the above quote.  Thus ends my participation in your thread.

No, you are mistaken. My post of yesterday, 7/30, at 1:34 am, in response to Profaitchikenz, clearly identified the issues that I was describing *prior to* my post of today, 7/31- of two hours ago, wherein I so referred to Qie's comments. Perhaps you were unable to follow the sequence of posts. Really, you need to go back and reread the respective comments.

But thank you for ending your participation in this thread. I too have grown weary of the stubborn refusal of all of the participants herein ('what's the use', 'why bother'.................................., etc.) to ascertain, even if only anecdotally, whether or not a broad spectrum of SL residents perceives a degradation in performance since SL's migration to the cloud.

Solar quite effectively summarized the position of the members of this clique (with their tens of thousands of combined posts) when he stated:  "Such is life."

Edited by Amelie Mersereau
  • Haha 2

One last thing.  I promise.  Reduce your draw distance.  One of the top 3 things Firestorm recommends for reducing lag which is probably the root of all your problems.  Also, the new transparent water settings help, too.  Water being one of the major slow downs when EEP went live.  EEP on Firestorm went live around the time they were uplifting.  It has caused more of an issue and requires some tweaking of settings.

https://jira.secondlife.com/plugins/servlet/mobile#issue/BUG-229031

draw_distance_vs._region_diagram_corrected.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Amelie Mersereau said:

Ok, Rowan, indeed... 'why bother' confirming whether or not this is indeed a widespread experience or not, right? All people are going to do is complain, right? Why bring the experience of a potentially widespread set of anomalies into the light of day!

But at least we are now flushing out the reason 'why bother' and why no one will join me in inworld group chat discussions:   "... No one here or in any group can do anything..."

But yes, I get it, "it is what it is....."

The only ones who can confirm it is Linden Lab. So... yeah, contacting LL about it is a good idea. A good way to be heard is to go to one of the Linden inworld meetings and speak up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What the hell did I just read and where did my one of my last three brain cells go?

In the 17 plus years I've been in SL I have rarely had performance issues. It isn't luck. So. There you go. Another one that doesn't normally have performance issues when everyone else does. Cool, huh?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Amelie Mersereau said:

I too have grown weary of the stubborn refusal of all of the participants herein ('what's the use', 'why bother'.................................., etc.) to ascertain, even if only anecdotally, whether or not a broad spectrum of SL residents perceives a degradation in performance since SL's migration to the cloud.

Oh how did I miss this slugfest?  On purpose actually, since the moderators are likely to ban the peeps that are trying to help the OP,  as happened recently in a technical discussion when the OP starting calling everyone names for not agreeing with her, and then filed complaints against those that she claimed were not "helping" her.

But for the record, I have seen ABSOLUTELY NO DEGRADATION OF PERFORMANCE IN WORLD FOR SECOND LIFE SINCE THE CLOUD MIGRATION.  And my alts are in world 24/7 visiting some of the most overloaded regions around.  They remain either the same as pre-cloud, or are improved!  

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Good point.

Coincidentally, I've been locked in battle with EEP for the past few days; appears I missed some drama. Just let me know when you need more condescension. 

The most recent update to Firestorm included new water transparency options that greatly increased my graphics options.   I've been reading along with your battle waiting for the outcome.  Here's to hoping you win this one.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Also, the new transparent water settings help, too.  Water being one of the major slow downs when EEP went live.  EEP on Firestorm went live around the time they were uplifting. 

So perhaps my seeing no difference between pre-cloud and post-cloud SL performance is because I am still using FS 6.3.9.58205 which is the last Windlight non-EEP viewer.  I am surrounded by Linden water on my LH all water stilt home, and see no lag there.  Slow loading textures sometimes, of course, but that's because my VRAM drops textures when I go to other more loaded and texture intensive regions, as it should. But that's a CDN issue, nothing to do with the AWS cloud.

Since Firestorm 6.3.9 is being blocked on August 18, I am upgrading to the latest on Monday, EEP and all.  Reports are that 6.4.21.64531 has better performance than the older 6.4.xx versions, so I am hopeful.  I have plenty of hard data from my present FS to compare with the latest upgrade.

Since my 10 year old system has been ridiculed for still having a power switch on its 3 year old GOLD SLI power supply, it will be a good test of how a mid-level computer performs.  I always run on Ultra btw, but turn down particles to 1024 and Advanced Lighting Model off in busy regions.  My mid range "obsolete" system handles everything fine now even with those settings.  My DD usually is at 128, moving up or down depending on the region loading or activity.  When flying/boating I use 256, in Linden Realms 144, and for busy clubs, 64.

I wonder how many of those FS help group peeps are really complaining about their early EEP versions?  We all know it's not the Cloud.  

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

So perhaps my seeing no difference between pre-cloud and post-cloud SL performance is because I am still using FD 6.3.9.58205 which is the last Windlight non-EEP viewer.  I am surrounded by Linden water on my LH all water stilt home, and see no lag there.  Slow loading textures sometimes, of course, but that's because my VRAM drops textures when I go to other more loaded and texture intensive regions, as it should. But that's a CDN issue, nothing to do with the AWS cloud.

Since Firestorm 6.3.9 is being blocked on August 18, I am upgrading to the latest on Monday, EEP and all.  Reports are that 6.4.21.64531 has better performance than the older 6.4.xx versions, so I am hopeful.  I have plenty of hard data from my present FS to compare with the latest upgrade.

Since my 10 year old system has been ridiculed for still having a power switch on its 3 year old GOLD SLI power supply, it will be a good test of how a mid-level computer performs.  I always run on Ultra btw, but turn down particles to 1024 and Advanced Lighting Model off in busy regions.  My mid range "obsolete" system handles everything fine now even with those settings.  My DD usually is at 128, moving up or down depending on the region loading or activity.  When flying/boating I use 256, in Linden Realms 144, and for busy clubs, 64.

I wonder how many of those FS help group peeps are really complaining about their EEP versions?  We all know its not the Cloud.  

I put off updating to an EEP viewer because I'd heard the horror stories about degraded performance.  I did notice a slight drop with the EEP.  It wasn't the first version after it was out of beta but I believe the second?  I don't remember exactly.  The newest version is, so far for me, the best to date.  I rarely have my draw above 56.  I see no reason to unless I'm out exploring but as the picture I posted above shows,  128 shows an entire region which I seldom have need for let alone, anything over that.  Sailing or driving might be an exception.

I'm sure a few of the FS people could be uninformed about how EEP has effected performance.  I wouldn't have had a clue if I hadn't followed a few threads here.

With all that said, if I do forget to lower my draw distance back down after turning it up and head home, I will see huds and textures taking longer to rez.  Doh!  It's fine once I turn draw down again.  I know WiFi isn't the best for SL but I've been using that as well since starting SL.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 999 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.