Neighbour playing music too loud - and not even there!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1173 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have just moved into a home ( A Linden one) and there is some very loud music always playing from nearby.  I thought that neighbours could restrict any music or media they are playing to just their home?  Anway, how can I find out which of the homes near me is the culprit, so that I can approach them and ask them to turn it down/off.  (or restrict it just to their land).

I just can't seem to work out which house it is.  Is there a way to do that?

3 hours ago, rasterscan said:

use the sound explorer button - Avatar > Toolbar buttons>drag to toolbar and click it (assuming firestorm viewer)

Ooooh - thanks for that.  That has helped me identify the house (and a TV in that house playing a looped Youtube Video of a concert Very Loudly).  So how can I remove just that sound from my SL experience, or is it something the house owner has to do there end?

41 minutes ago, TrishSummers said:

Ooooh - thanks for that.  That has helped me identify the house (and a TV in that house playing a looped Youtube Video of a concert Very Loudly).  So how can I remove just that sound from my SL experience, or is it something the house owner has to do there end?

you also have the setting to restrict sounds
or disable media
not sure if muting/blocking the object will help.. but try...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

You can also report it as an abuse. But, Alwin's suggestion to mute/block the object should work.

So I have turned media off (Using the button at top of Firestorm) and that has stopped it for now.  but does that mean it will also stop any other media playing - such as any music media I wish to play on my own land?

If so - how can i mute their YouTube video playing in the house next door - but still hear mine?

Bit confused by this to be honest.

I want to hear all the ambient sounds -(Birds, waves, water, etc) and also some of my own music.  But i don't want to have to hear a rock concert playing on the YouTube TV from house next door.  And just confused what settings I / or they need to have on or off to acheive that.  (I use Firestorm by the way)

(PS - just to add - I do not beleive the neighbouris doing this on purpose.  I just don't think they realise how loud it is for neioghbours who are also hearing it, or even realise that they have left it on a constant loop).

Edited by TrishSummers
Additional info

2 hours ago, TrishSummers said:

Any step by step Instructions how to do any of that?

Right click the offending object and More >More > Derender - you wont see it or hear it anymore :)

Edited by rasterscan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TrishSummers said:

So I have turned media off (Using the button at top of Firestorm) and that has stopped it for now.  but does that mean it will also stop any other media playing - such as any music media I wish to play on my own land?

If so - how can i mute their YouTube video playing in the house next door - but still hear mine?

Bit confused by this to be honest.

I want to hear all the ambient sounds -(Birds, waves, water, etc) and also some of my own music.  But i don't want to have to hear a rock concert playing on the YouTube TV from house next door.  And just confused what settings I / or they need to have on or off to acheive that.  (I use Firestorm by the way)

(PS - just to add - I do not beleive the neighbouris doing this on purpose.  I just don't think they realise how loud it is for neioghbours who are also hearing it, or even realise that they have left it on a constant loop).

Have you asked them to turn it off?

10 hours ago, TrishSummers said:

There is nothing your neighbors need to do, and they don't need to turn it off. Media does not go beyond parcel boundaries unless you have picked up their stream by going to their land. 

Go to About Land/ Media and you should see a url in Home Page box, which would be your neighbors YouTube url.  Click Set button and then Clear, and OK.  Now Home Page box should be clear and you should not hear any sounds from Media.

To prevent loading other people's stream in Media, go to Preferences/ Sound & Media.  Set Media auto play to Disabled and uncheck the top two boxes.

You could also use the media filter to block a website Domain.  But if you block YouTube, you won't hear it on your own parcel.

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, rasterscan said:

Ye. 'ish.  You can undo derenders with the toolbar button 'Asset Blacklist'  :D  ... ummm and clean reinstalling the viewer.

Here's the toolbar buttons I consider essential to enjoy SL ...

wef.thumb.png.f5cb7873e38d3fdef3d0d370b79d5fdf.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TrishSummers said:

Yes - I have message them several times, and been very polite.

But it is not their fault.  IF you really are hearing their Media, it is/was because you had your media settings on their music.  And you don't turn down the Media and Music sound if you are listening.   This is not like RL.  Media sound does not travel through air waves in SL.  There is no air, or water in SL - it's all an illusion. :)

Edited by Jaylinbridges

7 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

But it is not their fault.  IF you really are hearing their Media, it is/was because you had your media settings on their music.  And you don't turn down the Media and Music sound if you are listening.   This is not like RL.  Media sound does not travel through air waves in SL.  There is no air, or water in SL - it's all an illusion. :)

Can I ask why you put the word 'IF' in uppercase and use the word 'really'.  (kind of suggests I am imagining it?)

And regards the reality/illusionary aspects of SL....do you mean...when I fly...I am not really..er..flying??? 🤭  (You'll be telling me that Santa Claus doesn't exist next?)

Edited by TrishSummers
Additional info

On 7/5/2021 at 12:48 AM, Jaylinbridges said:

There is nothing your neighbors need to do, and they don't need to turn it off. Media does not go beyond parcel boundaries unless you have picked up their stream by going to their land. 

Go to About Land/ Media and you should see a url in Home Page box, which would be your neighbors YouTube url.  Click Set button and then Clear, and OK.  Now Home Page box should be clear and you should not hear any sounds from Media.

Thanks.  I had not been to their land.  I literally starting hearing their TV the second I landed in my new Linden home.  I then did go over to theirs (and several) homes to try and find out which home it was that had left media playing 24/7.  But I hadn't been on their land previously, and could definitley hear their TV playing a concert on loop.

And the 'About Land/ Media url in Home Page box' is blank.. But I still hear the TV looping when I am  on my land

If you are aware of who owns the house where the TV loop is coming from, go to (In Firestorm) World>Sound Explorer>find that persons name (might show as 'playing')>highlight the name>play locally (to make sure this is the right person)>Blacklist.

I've done it a few times, most recently a neighbor had their quad vehicle at full throttle (and no one home). That sound got old real fast. Did the above and problem solved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, TrishSummers said:

And the 'About Land/ Media url in Home Page box' is blank.. But I still hear the TV looping when I am  on my land

is as Jaylin mentioned earlier

Linden viewer: Hover mouse over the Start/Stop button (top right your screen). Get this dialog:

mediastop.jpg.bdf47db0e32eb015fb1d1731aa568e3a.jpg

select the url that is playing. Press the stop button (red circled). ( Some TPVs also allow you to block the url so it never plays again )

in Preferences also turn off Autoplay. Means that media will only play when you Touch the media device

mediaauto.jpg.e6394ba67be5dee45e5bd270686816f3.jpg

7 hours ago, TrishSummers said:

Can I ask why you put the word 'IF' in uppercase and use the word 'really'.  (kind of suggests I am imagining it?)

Because I have a slow little finger and when then I type fast I sometime type the next letter before my left hand little finger releases the Shift key.

And I said really, because if there is nothing in your Media or Music stream box, you should not hear it.  What you hear from Media and Music is determined by what your parcel About Land settings are.  But I also asked you to uncheck the two top boxes in Preferences, so you will not hear media attached to another avatar.

a13a17a12e24939822b79cd27fd379c9.png

If you are still hearing music, it is not Media, but an object with music script embedded in it, such as bird sounds, or heels that play the Mexican Hat Dance when you move.  Those things are so annoying I will ban someone wearing them at my club.

These sounds CAN travel across parcel borders, unlike streaming Media, if your neighbor does not have Restrict gesture and object sound to this parcel unchecked.  But you also would need this box in Sound unchecked.  Then you would not hear the Moles Birds on public land.  You can Block those sounds from a neighboring avatar, or an object that belongs to that neighbor.  Since you want to hear the sounds outside your parcel, perhaps your neighbor does also.

fe4333f725c1a8879a80d1b0f8e1751c.png

There is also a Sound Explorer in FS top menu (World) that shows any sounds, looped or played, belonging to an avatar.The crackle of a fireplace for instance is a Sound that can be blocked with Sound Explorer. You can also just turn down the sound slider, or check the box to mute sounds from Gestures.  But sounds are NOT media or YouTube, and are not streamed to your viewer in the same way. If you still hear music with both boxes in About Land blank, stop them with the stop button or arrow (it's different depending on the GUI).  You could also invite a trusted friend, or a Linden Mole to your house, and ask if they hear the music.  The Mole should be able to determine the source of the music.

There should be nothing different in the Linden Homes that changes the way Media and streaming work, from the rest of the SL grid.

It doesn't help that the Sound GUI and controls are different in the SL Viewer vs Firestorm. I assumed you were using FS.

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TrishSummers said:

And regards the reality/illusionary aspects of SL....do you mean...when I fly...I am not really..er..flying??? 🤭  (You'll be telling me that Santa Claus doesn't exist next?)

Yes, you are not flying in the air-less SL space.  Flying takes lift, unless you have a rocket attached, then it's thrust.  This might explain why Propeller aircraft are not flying to the Moon.  Of course Santa is real, his sleigh runs on pixie dust - the reindeer are just props.  Since SL is a vacuum like space, you should just float around in SL space.  But they add Gravity, while SL land has no mass.

Confusing isn't it?

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1173 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.