How Does Your SL Look Today?

Bagnu

2 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

I found something called "Quixel" that can supposedly output Blinn-Phong. I haven't found a way in Substance Painter.

I used to output Blinn-Phong with Substance Painter. I even used the non-pbr spec-gloss shader in it, and then you can create a custom output target with the map types you want.

But I wouldn't bother with it anymore either.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

It was already set to dynamic.  I haven't changed it, and it doesn't capture my avatar's reflection still. Let me know if I'm missing something else!

image.png.207b1f42e2d43883bc35bf575d867198.png

image.png.9b425145af4f33a90cc534fcd7f4f097.png

You have to create a probe, and put it inside the surface, just like I did with Cat's vanity mirror. Like you can see in my previous post. You have to change the size and position of the probe to get the reflection you want. 

3 minutes ago, arton Rotaru said:

I used to output Blinn-Phong with Substance Painter. I even used the non-pbr spec-gloss shader in it, and then you can create a custom output target with the map types you want.

But I wouldn't bother with it anymore either.

What project setting did you use? Now you have me curious.

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Cool, but weird.

So, it's using what settings for the light? Those of the EEP, in this case midnight, but with the gamma or exposure turned up?

And does it cast shadows if ambient occlusion is on, as EEP light would? If so, what's the source?

No gamma, no exposure. It's just the Ambiance setting of the manual probe. 100 is the max, which is quite insane. I would rather explain it as some sort of night vision equipment.

Regarding shadows, the only things that do create shadows, are the sun, the moon and projector lights. So in this case, the entire room is in shadow from the moon anyway.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

What project setting did you use? Now you have me curious.

I have added a Roughness channel to it which I used actually as the Environment mask of the specular map. So don't be confused about the term there.

Non-PBR01.JPG.fd8e50bdc98391fd6798dcd328aeadcf.JPGNon-PBR02.thumb.JPG.627e3f0f826d53f2724b08e1f017bdcc.JPG

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, arton Rotaru said:

No gamma, no exposure. It's just the Ambiance setting of the manual probe. 100 is the max, which is quite insane. I would rather explain it as some sort of night vision equipment.

Regarding shadows, the only things that do create shadows, are the sun, the moon and projector lights. So in this case, the entire room is in shadow from the moon anyway.

Right. Looking over this again -- values from 1-4 blend environmental light and local light (including, presumably, projectors, which could cast shadows) multiplying the light by the number applied, while numbers above 4 to 100 lock the local lighting at 4x, but multiply environmental light, with the ambient colour stripped away, by the number applied.

I guess that means one needn't use interior local lights if one doesn't want to (to save LI or whatever), but it seems bizarrely unrealistic and illogical? That's also a very sharp delineation of light and dark at the doorway -- which in fairness you'd also get if ambiance were set below 1. Seems a good place to use a point light or projector to me.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, arton Rotaru said:

SSR Is independent of reflection probes. It's a separate system for reflections. And if you save out an image taken with the snapshot tool, the reflection is missing in the image.

I may be misunderstanding, and apologize if I am.  

Here are two pictures I have taken from inside of the viewer using the snapshot tool, I had to get close to the mirror to get a reflection without dynamic selected.

Snapshot_383.thumb.jpg.26baa5b4df01dadebf400a3997c8317f.jpg

The above is with me standing in the probe, a bit close and distorted.  It looks better when I am standing further away, but to get a reflection without dynamic enabled, it was necessary to get this close.  The above is with dynamic selected.

Snapshot_384.thumb.jpg.e5365f8dea09c317c0a9c81481885087.jpg

This time the probe is not dynamic, and the reflection is not captured as it was above in the first screenshot tool.  The reflection is there, it just is not saved by the screenshot tool.

Untitled.thumb.png.3963bb03c90133fed05f239164bd11d1.png

To get a screenshot of my reflection, I have to use prt-scr and paste the image in an image editor save it, to share that reflection with others.  The above is with the probe set without being dynamic, but what I see from my viewer.

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I guess that means one needn't use interior local lights if one doesn't want to (to save LI or whatever), but it seems bizarrely unrealistic and illogical? That's also a very sharp delineation of light and dark at the doorway -- which in fairness you'd also get if ambiance were set below 1. Seems a good place to use a point light or projector to me.

Yeah, that was just a demonstration that the probes irradiance can be brighter than the actual eep. Actually I have 15 point lights and one big projector light inside that room. With the probes Ambiance at 2.5 when the ceiling (main) light is on, and when I switch it off the probe Ambiance is set to 8. Because I don't like it to be pitch black. 😇

Edited by arton Rotaru
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Istelathis said:

To get a screenshot of my reflection, I have to use prt-scr and paste the image in an image editor save it, to share that reflection with others.  The above is with the probe set without being dynamic, but what I see from my viewer.

Yeah, that's the SSR, the ScreenSpace Reflections. They only show a reflection of what is actually on screen as well. And the snapshot tool doesn't save the reflection.

The reflections you get from the probes cubemaps are captured with the snapshot tool, though.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

To get a screenshot of my reflection, I have to use prt-scr and paste the image in an image editor save it, to share that reflection with others. 

That is my point from earlier, I have to use a "screen shot" to get my reflection, I cannot use the "viewer snapshot tool" to get my reflection. Does that mean we just misunderstood each other earlier, or am I still confused? LOL

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

That is my point from earlier, I have to use a "screen shot" to get my reflection, I cannot use the "viewer snapshot tool" to get my reflection. Does that mean we just misunderstood each other earlier, or am I still confused? LOL

I don't think we are, I am using the feature in the viewer itself to take the snapshots,  ctrl-shift-s.  For me, the pictures now show my reflection in the resulting screenshots, it is no longer necessary to take a screenshot of my desktop, paste it into paint, save it then upload it to the forums :)

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Istelathis said:

I don't think we are, I am using the feature in the viewer itself to take the snapshots,  ctrl-shift-s.  For me, the pictures now show in the resulting screenshots, it is no longer necessary to take a screenshot of my desktop, paste it into paint, save it then upload it to the forums :)

Got it. Your post I quoted SOUNDED like you still had to do that to see your avatar's reflection. LOL!!!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Got it. Your post I quoted SOUNDED like you still had to do that to see your avatar's reflection. LOL!!!!

Only if dynamic is not selected, otherwise it works for me.  Sorry for the confusion, I swear I am contagious!  Look at what I did to poor Rowan!  When the reflection probe is not set to dynamic, it doesn't save the snapshots with my reflection.

• Like 1

I want to apologize for kinda derailing this thread. That wasn't my intention actually!

Just one more about the snapshot tool and SSR. The reflection of the avatar in that 3rd image is the Screenspace Reflection of the avatar. This will show independent of the reflection probes Dynamic setting being on or off. It's a different method of reflections independent of probes.

So that the reflection is missing in the saved out image with the snapshot tool, is not because the Dynamic setting of the probes is unticked, it's because the snapshot tool fails to save the image including the SSR.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Istelathis said:

Only if dynamic is not selected, otherwise it works for me.  Sorry for the confusion, I swear I am contagious!  Look at what I did to poor Rowan!  When the reflection probe is not set to dynamic, it doesn't save the snapshots with my reflection.

As I showed earlier in my version / setting screen shots, dynamic IS selected. (You didn't reply to that post, I think.)

In case I missed a reply - Since our versions are slightly different (mine is older), do you think that could be the difference? 

Why would I have an older version? That confuses me.

• Like 1

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

As I showed earlier in my version / setting screen shots, dynamic IS selected. (You didn't reply to that post, I think.)

In case I missed a reply - Since our versions are slightly different (mine is older), do you think that could be the difference? 

Why would I have an older version? That confuses me.

I think that is why it is not working on your side.  They slipped out a newer version, and I don't think we were informed of it. 

https://secondlife.com/support/downloads/

I blame Anubis for this transgression.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, arton Rotaru said:

I want to apologize for kinda derailing this thread. That wasn't my intention actually!

PBR affects "everyone", so hopefully nobody gets too mad at us. Guess I should have directed my questions from one of the PBR threads. 🙂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

I think that is why it is not working on your side.  They slipped out a newer version, and I don't think we were informed of it. 

https://secondlife.com/support/downloads/

I blame Anubis for this transgression.  

Actually I'm on Second Life Release 7.1.3.7491688089 (64bit) which is a nightly build from yesterday.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Relax.

I have been assured by people who are experts in condescension that we won't need to worry our pretty little heads about it.

C'mon, you have that PBR maps and probes stuff pretty much down. So you are actually an expert by now. :SwingingFriends:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, arton Rotaru said:

Actually I'm on Second Life Release 7.1.3.7491688089 (64bit) which is a nightly build from yesterday.

LL is the source of confusion now, I wonder whatever changes that were made in 9142  were not carried over to the newer  builds, or if they removed them entirely.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Shiera Kealoha said:

I didn't realize there was a whole conversation going on about some stuff. Sorry, I feel kind of rude for posting.

I'm glad you did - I was falling asleep from that side conversation.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2