New categories

Rya Nitely

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4799 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm not sure how long ago these new categories were created. Under boats there are now sailboats, rowboats, motorboats. All my boats could have been delisted if I hadn't noticed (please don't do this anyone. I intend to fix it over the weekend.) After sorting my store items, now this. It never ends :smileysad:.

My point is, it would be good if such changes were announced. I think I keep my eyes open for news but if this was announced anywhere I missed it.

Edit: YAY for the bulk edit tool. It's done so you can take your finger off that flag button :smileytongue:

• Moderators

Rya Nitely wrote:

I'm not sure how long ago these new categories were created. Under boats there are now sailboats, rowboats, motorboats. All my boats could have been delisted if I hadn't noticed (please don't do this anyone. I intend to fix it over the weekend.) After sorting my store items, now this. It never ends :smileysad:.

My point is, it would be good if such changes were announced. I think I keep my eyes open for news but if this was announced anywhere I missed it.

Edit: YAY for the bulk edit tool. It's done so you can take your finger off that flag button :smileytongue:

Greetings!

Since your boat products were in the correct Boats category, they are not at risk of being unlisted when new detailed type sub-categories are added.

As the number of product listings grows, or new types of products are created in Second Life, the Marketplace categories will change and grow.

This may not always happen immediately, but it will happen.

If anyone has suggestions for categories that they would like to see added to the Marketplace, please create a Second Life Jira ticket.

Regards,

Dakota Linden
--
Linden Lab
SL Marketplace Customer Support
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/
http://www.secondlife.com

Ok, I made a zombie that you can fight. Originally, i placed it in the Animals > Other Animals category. It was flagged a few days ago. Why? Where else am I supposed to put this? For now, I have placed it in Recreation and Entertainment > Miscellaneous Fun. I plan on making more human types of things to fight and robots, and again, there does not seem to be a category for this.

If some1 from LL is making decisions on whether something does or does not fit a category, then that person must also know where it should go. If they do not know, then how can they say it does not go in the category they are removing it from? Now, if a Linden had to recategorize the product themself, then they would know over time what new categories are needed. Personally, I see all kinds of areas that need more categories. Some even just a male and female option. Almost every category with more than 10 enhancements purchased in the category could use more sub categories. This makes more money for LL because there are more categories for merchants to purchase more enhancements.

I just think  LL should change item to the right category when someone flag an item because of that.
If is an adult item, just active the adult thing and change it to the right category, that would make life easier for all of us, for LL cause they won't have lot of tickets about that problem and our items won't be unlisted and they would keep getting commission and for us not loosing our time.

Catwise Yoshikawa wrote:

I just think  LL should change item to the right category when someone flag an item because of that.

If is an adult item, just active the adult thing and change it to the right category, that would make life easier for all of us, for LL cause they won't have lot of tickets about that problem and our items won't be unlisted and they would keep getting commission and for us not loosing our time.

Even if the Linden staff member that reviews it does not move it to the right category, there truly does need to be some form of communication to explain why the item was delisted .. and where it should be properly listed.

This is a basic "Education" issue. Imagine how smart our kids would be if they were only given tests but never taught the correct answers. As ludicrous as that sounds, it is exactly what happens when an item is delisted and no information is given as to why.

Many have asked for an email to the Merchant when an item is delisted. That email is crucial .. and it makes the perfect place to "Teach" the proper category at the same time. Without that feedback education though, we can be assured our Merchants will continue to "Fail" the daily tests and never learn the right answers.

• Moderators

Hello Medhue Simoni,

Zombies are not animals.  They are monsters, but the Marketplace doesn't have a Monsters category. :)

From the description of your product, the Recreation & Entertainment category is the correct one, at this time.

Since there are training materials that have been created for combat, like targets, training dummies, and your fightable zombie, there does appear to be a need for a category specific to those types of products.

So, where would that sub-category go, and what would it be called?

Currently the bulk of products that fit that type are placed into the Sporting Goods category.

Would those types of products be better suited under the Weapons categories?

I would love to hear you ideas about it so that we can see about getting the new category added to the Marketplace.

Regards,

Dakota Linden
--
Linden Lab

• Moderators

Catwise Yoshikawa wrote:

Hello Catwise,

If Linden Lab moved listings to the correct category, then there is a chance that users will not take the time to learn where their products should be placed, or place them into the correct categories, because they will figure that eventually Linden Lab will get around to putting their products in the correct location.

If a seller places a non sculpted item into a sculpted prim category, then they deserve any negative reviews and comments that they get on the listing.

Please keep in mind that the Marketplace Listing Guidelines policy page gives multiple warnings that products can be unlisted if they do not comply.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/listing_guidelines

"Be sure to follow these guidelines when listing items. If your listing does not, we may remove it in our discretion, and no refunds will be issued for any removed listings."

"Listings in the wrong or inappropriate category may be removed to avoid confusion."

"We may remove listings or change the ratings of listings that we deem to be in the wrong or inappropriate category in our sole discretion."

While any system that limits the interruption to the sellers products on the Marketplace is preferable, it is still ultimately the responsiblity of the seller to ensure that their products comply with all of the rules and guidelines regarding listing content on the Marketplace web site.

Regards,

Dakota Linden

--

Linden Lab

We didn't ask for these new Boat categories, although I do love them.

We did ask in a jira late last year for a category for static vehicles which got added a month or so later to the decor area, but these sub-categories in the physical vehicle boat area are newish which I found last night by random luck, no idea how long they have been there.

I remember the static vehicle section we asked for last year got annouced in a change log when it came available with many other new categories but never saw anything about these new ones.

Dakota Linden wrote:

Catwise Yoshikawa wrote:

Hello Catwise,

If Linden Lab moved listings to the correct category, then there is a chance that users will not take the time to learn where their products should be placed, or place them into the correct categories, because they will figure that eventually Linden Lab will get around to putting their products in the correct location.

If a seller places a non sculpted item into a sculpted prim category, then they deserve any negative reviews and comments that they get on the listing.

Please keep in mind that the Marketplace Listing Guidelines policy page gives multiple warnings that products can be unlisted if they do not comply.

"Be sure to follow these guidelines when listing items. If your listing does not, we may remove it in our discretion, and no refunds will be issued for any removed listings."

"Listings in the wrong or inappropriate category may be removed to avoid confusion."

"We may remove listings or change the ratings of listings that we deem to be in the wrong or inappropriate category in our sole discretion."

While any system that limits the interruption to the sellers products on the Marketplace is preferable, it is still ultimately the responsiblity of the seller to ensure that their products comply with all of the rules and guidelines regarding listing content on the Marketplace web site.

Regards,

Dakota Linden

--

Linden Lab

Thanx Dakota, is nice to have you here trying to reply all our post ^^ I know the guideliness, but that's not the problem I tried to explain ^^'

What about new categories? how would I know when you create a new category that truns my item to be in the wrong category? I mean for example a furniture category, where I have my chair, and then LL create new subcategories for chairs, tables, etc, inside furniture category... My item was in the right category, but now you create a new subcategory... Most of flags I'm reading in this forum is for little things like this.

Also merchant should be warned by email or IM to know when an item was removed or unlisted for something like this, and the reason (adult, wrong category, whatever...) that way merchant could go and change the thing that was wrong.

• Moderators

Hello Catwise,

Yes, we do know that as with the old Xstreet site, Merchants should get an email when a product is unlisted that includes the reason why it was unlisted and should also provide the correct category for their product.

This feature/function will be implemented in a future update to the site, but at this time we do not know when.

Brooke and I have also spoken about communication with alerting Merchants to the new categories and how this can be done effectively.

Most likely this information will be included in the Marketplace Update notes that are posted.

Regards,

Dakota Linden
--
Linden Lab

Thank you very much for replying, Dakota!

Recently, I've been working on a complete combat system with many different parts. I'm finding that combat types of things are spread throughout the marketplace. Hence.... I think that instead of Weapons being the main category, Combat should be. So, you might have something like this:

Combat

//\\

HUDs, Weapons, Hand to Hand, Non Player Characters

Plus, more sub categories. This is just off the top of my head tho.

Oh, and could LL add a male, female, and character subcategories to Animation Overides. Currently, the enhancements for the Animation Overide category is swamped with enhancements and separating them would result in more animators paying for enhancements for the sub categories. Plus, it is greatly needed.

• Moderators

Medhue Simoni wrote:

Thank you very much for replying, Dakota!

Recently, I've been working on a complete combat system with many different parts. I'm finding that combat types of things are spread throughout the marketplace. Hence.... I think that instead of Weapons being the main category, Combat should be. So, you might have something like this:

Combat

//\\

HUDs, Weapons, Hand to Hand, Non Player Characters

Plus, more sub categories. This is just off the top of my head tho.

Oh, and could LL add a male, female, and character subcategories to Animation Overides. Currently, the enhancements for the Animation Overide category is swamped with enhancements and separating them would result in more animators paying for enhancements for the sub categories. Plus, it is greatly needed.

These are some really good suggestions.

We are limited on the changes that can be made in the Marketplace at the moment. There is no way to move any of the existing categories, so we cannot move all the existing Weapons categories under a new Weapons header under Combat.

We can change the category name from Weapons to Weapons & Combat Systems, then add a new sub-cat under that for Combat Systems with further sub-cats.

Weapons & Combat Systems

Combat Systems

Combat Huds

Training Dummies & NPC's

Hand to Hand Combat

I am also passing along the information regarding adding 3 new sub-categfories for the AO's. Male, Female & Unisex.

Hopefully we can get the AO's added as quickly as possible since those will take less work configuring them and getting them added to the Category Tree.

Regards,

Dakota Linden

--

Linden Lab

New categories are always good...  There is one that has me slightly confuzzled...  Houses and Structures.. castles , Stores etc.. finished buildings are under Building Components....  Components are items that you use to make a building or structure. Shouldn't Structures have its own main category?

and what is up with clothing templates polluting the texture categories? :)  Clothing is not a building component. its an AV accessory..

thanks for any improvement in any case though..

VonGklugelstein Alter wrote:

and what is up with clothing templates polluting the texture categories?
:)
  Clothing is not a building component. its an AV accessory..

The templates are components because they are used for building clothing for resale - they usually contain the alpha channels and shading layers for the user to customize.

But they have become common enough they need their own category.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4799 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.