Net Tank Tops & Tattoos

CerberusBindweed1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1148 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey Everyone,

I am not sure if this is the right section to place this post, but I was wondering if its possible to have tattoos and wear a net style tank top at the same time without the tattoo script playing up?

The issue I have is when trying to wear the mesh top, it messes with my tattoos causing parts of the tattoo to be hidden.

This can happen when I just wear the mesh tank and TP to different areas or when I layer myself by wearing a best over the tank. 

As you can see in the one pic, this is how I want my tattoos to look whilst wearing the tank, however I wanted to subdue to the look with a vest.

Any ideas as this happens with all these types of tanks I have?

Mesh Net top Issue.PNG

Mesh Net Tank Top.PNG

2 hours ago, CerberusBindweed1 said:

Hey Everyone,

I am not sure if this is the right section to place this post, but I was wondering if its possible to have tattoos and wear a net style tank top at the same time without the tattoo script playing up?

The issue I have is when trying to wear the mesh top, it messes with my tattoos causing parts of the tattoo to be hidden.

This can happen when I just wear the mesh tank and TP to different areas or when I layer myself by wearing a best over the tank. 

As you can see in the one pic, this is how I want my tattoos to look whilst wearing the tank, however I wanted to subdue to the look with a vest.

Any ideas as this happens with all these types of tanks I have?

Mesh Net top Issue.PNG

Mesh Net Tank Top.PNG

If you use a BOM version of the tattoo, that should solve the problem.  Applier layers have always conflicted with clothing like this.  Hair and hairbases, hair and makeup have also been an issue.

Someone else will come along and explain the technical reason why.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is one of those things that can never be fixed, either by Linden Lab or by content creators (mostly) - when two alpha-blended (with partial transparency) textures overlay one another, the system cannot determine which one should be in front, and it often shows the wrong one, or hides one of them entirely. You'll often see it with plants and trees, or trees seen through windows. Most other video-games get round it by just making sure never to put two blended alpha textures together, but because SL is player-created, that doesn't work. 

One of the solutions is to make one of the textures be alpha-masked instead of blended, but this makes a firm on/off; any one pixel will be either 100% transparent or 100% opaque, which makes things like tattoos, hair and net shirts look dreadful. But it works for some things, particularly trees. 

Your body likely has the option to turn the tattoo to Masked instead of Blended (there should be an option for it on the hud somewhere)- try it briefly, weep, and turn it back. It won't be pretty.  In the very unlikely event that your shirt is Mod, you can switch that to Masked by going into Edit mode and looking in the texture tab, but that probably won't look pretty either. 

Practically speaking, there's only three things you can do about it...

• Ditch the net shirt
  • Ditch the tattoo
  • Switch your mesh body and skin to Bakes on Mesh, and use a system layer tattoo instead. Bakes on Mesh takes your skin and all the separate system layers and "bakes" them into one single texture and applies that new texture to your mesh body. It has no alpha at all, so it won't cause any conflict with your shirt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You could also probably find a tank that was all MESH with NO alpha layer channel in the texture. Not that difficult to make so I image someone has.  Hopefully someone here has one and can point you to it. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
wrong term used

It is definitely the issue Rowan mentioned. Your tattoo has an alpha channel and so does your top and SL doesn't know how to render two alphas placed over the top of each other. The best fix for that is to use a BOM skin and tattoo and then your tops will look as they should.

Edited by Mercedes Avon

If you do not know what Bakes on Mesh(BoM) is, Skell Dagger has some tutorials on his blog.https://virtualbloke.com/tutorials

I can not be sure what body you are using. Is it Signature Gianni? It is updated to BoM, and it can be turned on with a click, as Skell show in one of this tutorials.

Whet you need then, is to try a re delivery of your skin and tattoo, to see if they are updated to BoM. If not, you need to use another skin and tattoo...

As you have already been told, this alpha canal clashing is in the system and can not be fixed. The only way is to use BoM.

I was exited to start with BoM because I can layer a lot without this alpha issue. I use it to layer, freckles, tattoos and underwear, also patches to cover nipples, scars, scratch effects, every ting you do with the onion layers on top of the mesh body... and 59 more. Because there are three onion layers, and we can use up to 62 BoM layers!

Edited by Marianne Little
ty

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1148 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.