Neighbor's Radio Station Playing on My Land

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1090 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm on mainland and I recently got several new neighbors. One neighbor on an adjacent parcel's radio station is now playing on my parcel. I don't know how to figure which neighbor it is or how to stop it from playing on my parcel. Can I fix this by setting land permissions? I tweaked a few but haven't managed to stop the sound yet.  In all my years in SL I've never come across this problem before. Any help will be greatly appreciated :)  I probably wouldn't mind if it was music but it's all commercials! 

53 minutes ago, TundraFire Nightfire said:

I'm on mainland and I recently got several new neighbors. One neighbor on an adjacent parcel's radio station is now playing on my parcel. I don't know how to figure which neighbor it is or how to stop it from playing on my parcel. Can I fix this by setting land permissions? I tweaked a few but haven't managed to stop the sound yet.  In all my years in SL I've never come across this problem before. Any help will be greatly appreciated :)  I probably wouldn't mind if it was music but it's all commercials! 

On one of the tabs in the About Land window, you can restrict sounds to your parcel. This will also restrict all outside sounds from being heard on your parcel.

There is a way to search out sounds -- cannot remember how off the top of my head.  You could then send the owner a notecard or IM requesting that they restrict sounds to their parcel.  Some folks will just tell you to F-off though.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

I suspect this audio is actually from Shared Media, which can play a very great distance as long as the media object is in view. To test this theory, try turning off media sources (if any) in the "More" media and audio control window in the upper right corner of the viewer. If that's the origin, I"m not sure what's a practical solution other than turning off that media source manually, or maybe muting the emitting object, once you find it. (I don't think Shared Media complies with the parcel sound restriction setting, but I could be wrong about that.)

• Like 1

Yer sounds like media slider - if firestorm all the sliders reached by clicking the speaker bottom right near quick prefs button ;)

note - u might want to see media but not hear it in wich case tick the tick box.

w.jpg

Edited by rasterscan

I am also interested in this.
My neighbor (a musician) has two parcels adjacent to each other and wants to play his own music on one of the parcels.

But when he plays Media on one parcel, we can hear the Media sound on the other parcel as well.
The parcels have been divided. One parcel is set to a Group and the other one is his own. But the Media definitely spills over.

He has ticked the box "Restrict gesture and object sounds to this parcel" but it has not solved the problem.
We can still hear the media stream on both parcels. We don't want to disturb neighbors obviously.

Should we change to a radio stream instead (Gostream or Shoutcast) and give up on "shared media"?
Will the radio/music channel stop at the parcel limit?

What you are hearing is not sound or normal media. Below are the control panels (as seen in FS but not much is different in other Viewers) for the Parcel Media and Sound.

MediaPanelSL.png.a9723ab6f6cfbd532e67a9ef7cddc5f6.png

SoundPanelSL.png.7f83b648ec5520f3d1465bf65155508a.png

Note the wording of the Sound Restriction checkbox - this is phrased the way it is because neither the Media or Sound streams set in the About Parcel dialog can spill over into other Parcels.

The following however - Media On A Prim - can spill over and should be avoided when wanting to have individual parcels to have their own Audio or Media streams.

MOAP.png.e91ed80c30fcbb99765e0bab2bc9f2a2.png

There is no way to restrict MOAP to a singular Parcel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for the info – it is very appreciated.

The sound came from a Youtube television.
The TV was playing a Youtube playlist.

Based on the description, I presume the TV must be using "MOAP".
Since there is no way to restrict MOAP, we will have to find a different solution.

The television has been taken down as a result.
It seems the best way is to rent a radio stream and send this radio stream to the parcel media as "Audio".

17 minutes ago, QuietEventide said:

Thank you for the info – it is very appreciated.

The sound came from a Youtube television.
The TV was playing a Youtube playlist.

Based on the description, I presume the TV must be using "MOAP".
Since there is no way to restrict MOAP, we will have to find a different solution.

The television has been taken down as a result.
It seems the best way is to rent a radio stream and send this radio stream to the parcel media as "Audio".

If you're looking to play an online radio station you don't need to go quite that far, just plugging the station URL into the Audio stream will work.

Now if you want to be able to do Youtube and such ... You'll need to find a TV that doesn't use MOAP - though such older models require a few extra steps for setup.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, QuietEventide said:

Thank you. It is original music, so we need to rent a stream in this case.

Not necessarily. I'm not a performer so maybe renting a stream is better anyway, but it's definitely possible to stream YouTube video to Parcel media (rather than to MoaP), and you can also put audio streams on Parcel media, so I bet there's a way to get a YouTube playlist (whatever that is) on Parcel media.

(The media codecs were updated fairly recently to support more formats, so it's possible this will work on current viewers while some older viewers might have trouble, but no telling without trying.)

• Thanks 1

Thank you very much for your helpful replies - streaming Youtube video to parcel media might work.
We will try this and see what happens.

I seem to remember trying it earlier but failing to get any sound - but if there has been a codec update that situation may have changed.

UPDATE: I am very grateful guys - I'm very happy to report that everything now works as it should without any audio "leaks".

Edited by QuietEventide
  • Like 1

On 1/22/2021 at 10:18 AM, Solar Legion said:

What you are hearing is not sound or normal media. Below are the control panels (as seen in FS but not much is different in other Viewers) for the Parcel Media and Sound.

MediaPanelSL.png.a9723ab6f6cfbd532e67a9ef7cddc5f6.png

SoundPanelSL.png.7f83b648ec5520f3d1465bf65155508a.png

Note the wording of the Sound Restriction checkbox - this is phrased the way it is because neither the Media or Sound streams set in the About Parcel dialog can spill over into other Parcels.

The following however - Media On A Prim - can spill over and should be avoided when wanting to have individual parcels to have their own Audio or Media streams.

MOAP.png.e91ed80c30fcbb99765e0bab2bc9f2a2.png

People who create web on a prim object should uncheck the Auto Play Media as a courtesy. Similarly, users should also disable Media auto-play in their viewers to avoid hearing content they do not wish to hear. I recently toured an artists village with my autoplay on and was bombarded by two youtube videos and music stream playing simultaneously. Don't block it, just disable it.

• 3 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1090 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.